Author Topic: Trash trade. Why this will go down as DA's worst trade ever.  (Read 4713 times)

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Let me start by saying I am always the first one to commend Danny Ainge on his masterful rebuild of this franchise - returning to the ECF four years after dismantling the team - don't know if any other GM could have done that. With that said - this is his worst trade ever. Seriously this makes the Kendrick Perkins trade look like highway robbery. And there's a plethora of reasons why...

- The NBA is a guard oriented league. DA just turned down the best guard prospect in years
- He gave that very prospect away to our future rivals - Fultz will be lighting us up in the playoffs for 30 a game in 3-5 years. Fultz and Simmons compliment eachother PERFECTLY.
- The Celtics biggest need is at PF. Philly has plenty of good, young PF's - Saric, Holmes, Okafor. He couldn't have pryed one of them away in this deal...really?
- There is no guarantee the Lakers will be bad next year hence we may not receive their pick. They sure have the motivation to get better considering their pick is owed to their biggest ever rival next year!
- Anyone available at #3 has significantly less potential than Fultz. Nobody in that range is really a good shooter other than Monk and we're not taking him.

Re: Trash trade. Why this will go down as DA's worst trade ever.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:01:13 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Okafor isn't good, nor is he a modern power forward. He isn't even a traditional power forward, he's a old school center

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 02:26:20 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Let me start by saying I am always the first one to commend Danny Ainge on his masterful rebuild of this franchise - returning to the ECF four years after dismantling the team - don't know if any other GM could have done that. With that said - this is his worst trade ever. Seriously this makes the Kendrick Perkins trade look like highway robbery. And there's a plethora of reasons why...

- The NBA is a guard oriented league. DA just turned down the best guard prospect in years
- He gave that very prospect away to our future rivals - Fultz will be lighting us up in the playoffs for 30 a game in 3-5 years. Fultz and Simmons compliment eachother PERFECTLY.
- The Celtics biggest need is at PF. Philly has plenty of good, young PF's - Saric, Holmes, Okafor. He couldn't have pryed one of them away in this deal...really?
- There is no guarantee the Lakers will be bad next year hence we may not receive their pick. They sure have the motivation to get better considering their pick is owed to their biggest ever rival next year!
- Anyone available at #3 has significantly less potential than Fultz. Nobody in that range is really a good shooter other than Monk and we're not taking him.

If Danny does the trade and we get Okafor Ill probably be a Laker fan.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 02:38:20 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Um why is Jahlil Okafor the main take away from this post?

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 03:17:41 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Hmmmmmm..... because you named him as one of the players Danny should have taken in the trade? :-X

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 03:41:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hmmmmmm..... because you named him as one of the players Danny should have taken in the trade? :-X
He was the last guy listed. Clearly OP wasn't talking about him as an actual target.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The belief that Fultz is going to be the best player from this draft is broken. As is the belief that the league is driven by guards.

If the league is driven by a position then it's the SF position. Curry is the only guard to have led his team to success since Kobe's heyday, and he's more of a wing anyway.

To me the gap between Fultz, Ball, Jackson and Tatum is minimal and more based on media hype than anything. Every year someone is crowned the NBA's future and it just isn't true.

At #3 I like Tatum but I could also see another trade with Sac if they want Fox/Ball. We could end up with #5 Tatum and #10 Smith Jr. That would be one hell of a draft.

I would have liked the Sac pick and another pick with protections but that's probably being greedy. But let's see what the final deal actually is first

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

That's one of biggest issues. It's really weird Danny just never seems to want to get a big it's getting worrisome. He is enamored by small hustle guys that can't shoot!

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 09:45:56 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Ainge and Stevens clearly do not agree on the point I highlighted above.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Ainge and Stevens clearly do not agree on the point I highlighted above.

Nope

The main thing is seperation between the prospects...and they dont really see much difference.  You add other factors like positional need, capspace, plus future top pick... Trade executed

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
The belief that Fultz is going to be the best player from this draft is broken. As is the belief that the league is driven by guards.

If the league is driven by a position then it's the SF position. Curry is the only guard to have led his team to success since Kobe's heyday, and he's more of a wing anyway.

To me the gap between Fultz, Ball, Jackson and Tatum is minimal and more based on media hype than anything. Every year someone is crowned the NBA's future and it just isn't true.

At #3 I like Tatum but I could also see another trade with Sac if they want Fox/Ball. We could end up with #5 Tatum and #10 Smith Jr. That would be one hell of a draft.

I would have liked the Sac pick and another pick with protections but that's probably being greedy. But let's see what the final deal actually is first

I will be p---ed if we do all this just to try and get Dennis Smith Jr.

Rozier and Dennis Smith are pretty much the same players right now.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12

Because Okafor sucks and as such, it shows the sensationalism of the post.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

If we end up with no. 5 and 10 along with the 2018 lakers reported I think I would sleep better.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't disagree that what Danny's getting out of this deal doesn't seem to be nearly enough and I'm pretty p---ed off about that since I figured this was just the first step in a deal to bring in a top player with those new picks which would entice a top FA like either Hayward or Griffin to sign. 

however, there seems to be a lot of discussion from various sources that while Fultz is the best option at #1 it's because he's closer to being able to contribute right away, has the least likely chance of being a bust or disappointment and as a result has the highest floor of the top prospects.  That doesn't mean he'll be the best player in 3-4 years of this draft.  many talking heads think that'll either be Jackson or Tatum or even possibly Isaac. 

I could have been satisfied with the deal if Danny walked away with #3 and both the Laker and Sac picks unprotected.  that's about the only sensible outcome I could see where we weren't getting screwed.  this garbage of only getting one other pick from either the Lakers or Sac is too much of a crapshoot that will come back to bite Danny in the butt as being too cute for his own good. 

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 01:11:59 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I will be p---ed if we do all this just to try and get Dennis Smith Jr.

Rozier and Dennis Smith are pretty much the same players right now.
It wouldn't have to be Smith Jr. In fact it might make more sense to also move the #10 to make more cap space. I think there is a reason for all this though. Ainge is trying to position is for Davis or another superstar if they become available. Philly are desperate to get Fultz. So it figures to trade down and get the extra assets, have the cap room for Hayward and be in a better position to later trade for Davis. Especially if Ainge thinks Fultz isn't the runaway choice, which I agree on.