Author Topic: Dealing Ray Allen  (Read 14070 times)

Dealing Ray Allen
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I am not reacting to Ray's performance through the early rounds of the playoffs, nor am I basing my valuation on the cache of his name, the fact is:

By the end of the season, Ray Allen was the fourth most important member of this team.

I propose sending Ray Allen to Indiana, along with their choice of Powe/Davis in return for Mike Dunleavy, Jamaal Tinsley, and Jeff Foster.

This is a no brainer for Boston - we recieve the best player in the deal (Dunleavy), the best backup pointgaurd in the league (Tinsley), and swap a 6'8" scrappy PF for a 6'11" scrappy F/C

The real question is why does Indy make this trade? They make the trade to get out from under Tinsley's contract, and they fill a need at shooting guard. Plus, Allen provides a lot of value as a mentor to a young team.

Here is the kicker from our end: It does not appear that the Bulls will resign Ben Gordon, nor do they seem intent on matching offers. If that happens, the best Gordon could hope for is a full MLE contract with non bird rights: 3 years.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Dealing Ray Allen
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think you could get a little more for Ray.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:04:08 PM »

Offline DaTruth34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Horrible...We are not trading Ray Allen....no one should want to trade him!!!!

He could have easily been Finals MVP and you think we should trade him...give me a break!

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:09:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I am not reacting to Ray's performance through the early rounds of the playoffs, nor am I basing my valuation on the cache of his name, the fact is:

By the end of the season, Ray Allen was the fourth most important member of this team.

I propose sending Ray Allen to Indiana, along with their choice of Powe/Davis in return for Mike Dunleavy, Jamaal Tinsley, and Jeff Foster.

This is a no brainer for Boston - we recieve the best player in the deal (Dunleavy), the best backup pointgaurd in the league (Tinsley), and swap a 6'8" scrappy PF for a 6'11" scrappy F/C

The real question is why does Indy make this trade? They make the trade to get out from under Tinsley's contract, and they fill a need at shooting guard. Plus, Allen provides a lot of value as a mentor to a young team.

Here is the kicker from our end: It does not appear that the Bulls will resign Ben Gordon, nor do they seem intent on matching offers. If that happens, the best Gordon could hope for is a full MLE contract with non bird rights: 3 years.

can we start merging these threads? there's like 7 of them a day, and there all exactly the same.

aslo, this is a terrable trade for us.

"here indiana, take an expiring contract for 2010, which will be a massive trade chip next year, we'll take tinsley, and get a marginal guy in jeff foster, and an outside shot at ben gordon!"

and in no way is dunleave better than ray allen, not on any planet. they get the best player in the deal, the future HOF'er. not only do they get him, they get as i mentioned, a MASSIVE trading chip for the year after....no sense to this deal at all.

If your going to trade ray, you wait till next year, when he's an expiring contract....
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117

Really? More than Ben Gordon, Mike Dunleavy, Jamaal Tinsley, and Jeff Foster? Please send Ainge a memo, he needs to know.

Quote from: DaTruth34

He could have easily been Finals MVP and you think we should trade him...give me a break!

I anticipated this response; here is a quick comparison of Allen & Dunleavy last season:

Player - Min / Pts / Ast / Rbs / Stl
Allen - 35.9 / 17.4 / 3.1 / 3.6 / 0.9
Dunleavy - 36.0 / 19.1 / 3.5 / 5.2 / 1.0

Better in every category - and he was more efficient:

Player - FG% / 3P% / FT%
Allen - .445 / .398 / .907
Dunleavy - .476 / .424 / .834

Finally, lets keep one other thing in mind - Dunleavy is 27 and Allen is 33: who do you think is going to be more productive over the next 2 years?
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:17:23 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

The best player in that deal is Ray Allen, not Dunleavy.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Ray Allen will be dealt at the end of the season for a top tier player. He will be at about $19mill expiring. Most valuable trading chip on the market.

DWade?

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Here are some reasons I hate that deal

1) Ray Allen's contract expires in 2010. His value will only increase to us until then. If we decide to keep him and his contract expires, he is worth to us whatever we decide to pay him. But, his 18 million in expiring money in 2010 is a major trade chip to any team that wants to clear cap room for Mcgrady, Paul, LBJ, Bosh, Doo-Wayne or Amare.

2) Ray Allen was our second more consistent scorer this season. Ray Allen was the third most important member of this team, behind Pierce and Garnett, in that order. Rondo would have no room to operate if it wasn't for Ray's steady hand and superior shooting. Rondo is really good, but don't underestimate what Ray brings to our team without even taking a shot. Even the threat that he may shoot is enough for teams to drastically change their defensive arrangements. Eddie House doesnt bring that, Garnett doesn't bring that, and neither does Pierce.

3) Ray Allen has been great for our guys. He's widely regarded as one of the best vets to have around. he's got rondo shooting extra shots, big baby shooting ft's...he takes these young kids and helps make professionals out of them, as much as any vet I've ever heard of. I'd rather Ray Allen teach JR Giddens to leave the club clothes at home during road trips than Jamaal Tinsley teach Giddens how to make it rain in the strip club.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 01:23:47 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
It is true that by the end of the season Ray was the 4th option.  But this was not due to his abilities, but because of the offense run by the Celtics.  I thought this was grossly underusing Ray's arsenal and experience and that in that role it might be better to have a Jason Kapono or Mike Dunleavy.  I bet that if you added either of those (or a similar player) to the team, they would have won 60 or so games and would have been nearly as impressive.

But that team would not have won the championship.  That doesn't happen without Ray being the finals mvp or close to it, which Dunleavy, Raja Bell, Barbosa or any of the other guys that are mentioned in these daily threads could never do.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
horrible trade idea. im getting sick of those trade Ray threads.
i wonder if some people on this blog really want to repeat next yr. cuz its not happening without ray, and we could not have done it this yr without him. even if he does not hit his shots, opponents have so much respect for him, and he creates so much space for paul and KG to do their thing.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Really? More than Ben Gordon, Mike Dunleavy, Jamaal Tinsley, and Jeff Foster? Please send Ainge a memo, he needs to know.

I anticipated this response; here is a quick comparison of Allen & Dunleavy last season:

Player - FG% / 3P% / FT%

Finally, lets keep one other thing in mind - Dunleavy is 27 and Allen is 33: who do you think is going to be more productive over the next 2 years?

So since Ray sacrificed his scoring for the good of the team (he's down about 10 points from the year before) we should trade him for a slightly better scorer?

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Your just speculating on the Bulls lack of desire to sign Ben Gordon. There is no way Paxon lets him walk away, if all the other team is offering is the MLE.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

Player - FG% / 3P% / FT%

This is the only good season Dunleavy has ever had.  Ray has had something like 12 seasons better than what Dunleavy has ever done.  His experience is priceless.  Ray is on a whole 'nother level than Dunleavy.  This is like saying we should trade KG for Bi Al because they have simlair numbers.   ::)

I like Dunleavy.  If he was a free agent I would be willing to pay him the full MLE to be our 6th man.  But nothing more than that.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 01:49:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lets trade Ray in the middle of the 2010 season to a team who wants to free up cap room for the LeBron/Wade sweepstakes.  Maybe pick up an highly paid allstar or a few young prospects for him.  Then lets hope they cut him and we can sign him back a month later

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 01:52:42 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Ray Allen > Dunleavy + Foster + Tinsely

That deal is horrible.