Author Topic: Denver-Cleveland Trade Idea  (Read 3282 times)

Denver-Cleveland Trade Idea
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:46:49 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Cleveland Sends:
Ben Wallace
Wally Szczerbiak

for

Denver Sends:
Nene Hilario
Carmelo Anthony

Denver dumps a ton of money and are primed for rebuilding mode. The trade will save a bunch of cash and they will have a ton of cap room for the strong free agent class coming up and they would have a high pick for the 2010 draft class as well. They also get rid of Nene's giant deal which would help them save a bunch of cash for an injury prone player. They are also able to send Carmelo to the Eastern Conference where they won't have to worry about him.

Cleveland does it to put an All-Star player next to LBJ to try and keep him in Cleveland for the long haul. They are also able to bolster their front line if Nene can stay healthy. They would be a contender for a very long time if LBJ stays and I think he would if Carmelo goes to Cleveland. They would have a giant payroll for a very long time but it might be worth it if they really want to keep LeBron and have a legitimate shot at a championship.

Re: Denver-Cleveland Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think it will make more sense to replace Melo for AI. 

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 08:56:05 AM »

Offline Bring Back Antoine

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I would say pull the trigger on a deal like this, shmelo is garbage and AI can carry that team.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Denver would never do that trade.

If you added Kenyon Martin and Joe Smith to the trade (which still works) then you might pique Denver's interest, though I still think it will take at least a first if not more to pry Anthony away from Denver.

This one also works saving Denver even more money:

Varejao, Smith, Wally, and Snow for Martin, Melo, and Nene (Pavlovic or D. Jones could also be added in if Denver wanted either)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Even if this trade went down (unlikely), Carmelo plays the same position as LeBron, and doesn't complement him that well.  Both of them prefer to score closer to the basket, neither plays defense and Carmelo is not a good enough long-range shooter to open up the floor for LeBron on a consistent basis.  Carmelo also needs the ball a lot to score, which is a problem when LeBron is on your team.  I think Michael Redd would be a better fit, because, although he sucks on defense, his offensive game complements that of LeBron much better.  He's lights out from the perimeter, so he can space the floor for LeBron, and can catch and shoot much better than Melo

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:01:51 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
I'd say AI would be a good fit in Cleveland. Maybe AI for Wally + Snow + future 1st or Delonte?

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 12:30:52 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'd say AI would be a good fit in Cleveland. Maybe AI for Wally + Snow + future 1st or Delonte?

What about the long term deal just given "Boobie" Gibson?  Maybe these teams can swap over-priced low-skilled journeymen millionaires, but what would be the point?

I suppose I still believe Kenyon Martin has something left in the tank. I am prepared to be flamed for that remark.