Author Topic: Trading Ray in his last year-should it be done?  (Read 37338 times)

Trading Ray in his last year-should it be done?
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Trading Ray in his last year

In the interest of upgrading the roster and keeping the always important “window” open for title contention…how would you approach Ray’s situation (the first of the three to expire)?

Who could realistically be acquired?

Who would be a good trading partner?

Who would fit that future roster?

Re: Trading Ray in his last year-should it be done?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
To early to think about it.  So much could happen that decides such a decision between now an then.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 12:01:07 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Short answer... yes, it's something to think about, when it comes.  He'll be making almost $19mil, but that will likely be the source of his value (expiring contract) rather than whatever he might have left in the tank.  But yeah, too early to think about.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:14:14 PM »

Offline Petro

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 6
Hey I have an idea lets just worry about what Ray can do for us tonight

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:35:54 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Hey I have an idea lets just worry about what Ray can do for us tonight

Agreed! 

Also to answer the post topic who would actually trade for Ray anyways after his performance in the post season right now? 

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:40:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
ask me again in two years and i'll let you know.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's safe to say we wouldn't get any package like Wally, Delonte and a #5 pick for him...

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
When I was a kid, my dad use to blast the Celtics for keeping McHale and Parish too long. He'd tell me that if they keep them until they past their prime, their trade value will be nothing. Being a kid, I thought he was stupid because I was being loyal.

Having said that and suffering for nearly 22 years, I say trade Pierce and Allen (in a year or two) and keep a winning team for years to come. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
When I was a kid, my dad use to blast the Celtics for keeping McHale and Parish too long. He'd tell me that if they keep them until they past their prime, their trade value will be nothing. Being a kid, I thought he was stupid because I was being loyal.

Having said that and suffering for nearly 22 years, I say trade Pierce and Allen (in a year or two) and keep a winning team for years to come. :)

Yeah but who wants Ray Allen at this point?  He's just getting older.   Like I said... it's not like we could get a package of Wally, Delonte and a #5 pick for him.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
It's safe to say we wouldn't get any package like Wally, Delonte and a #5 pick for him...

As much as I would agree that Wally, Delonte and Jeff Green look very appealing right now given Ray's last 2 weeks, let's not forget 2 things:

1) KG does not come here if we do not trade for Ray Allen (not only because of Ray's appeal, but also because common thinking has been that KG is not a fan of playing with Wally)
2) Even though both Delonte and Wally have outplayed Ray this series, neither of them (nor Jeff Green for that matter) outplayed him over the course of the regular season.   Even IF KG comes here without Ray, the C's do not walk away with the league's top record sans RA. And I think homecourt advantage has made its importance known thus far.

Conclusion: RA for Wally, Delonte and #5 -- good trade even though Ray has been just awful in the playoffs.  

Now, four 3's in a row to start the game today and my Ray-frown turns happy once once again.  That is just how fickle I am.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »

Offline CelticKings

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
that one game where ray scored like 35 was the only real glimpse of what he's capable of doing...or what he was capable of doing earlier in his career. if he had a couple more nights like the all star game perhaps people would be more into keeping him. but considering wally and delonte are making him look more and more older i doubt that we'll see many more nights like those no matter what jersey he wears.

pierce on the other hand is still able to practically score at will, and i cant see that going away for a while. same with KG

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 04:00:24 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
that one game where ray scored like 35 was the only real glimpse of what he's capable of doing...or what he was capable of doing earlier in his career. if he had a couple more nights like the all star game perhaps people would be more into keeping him. but considering wally and delonte are making him look more and more older i doubt that we'll see many more nights like those no matter what jersey he wears.

pierce on the other hand is still able to practically score at will, and i cant see that going away for a while. same with KG

i actually though his 35 point night was his  worst night of the series for him outside of game 1 of course. We all know he can score, but the telling number from that game was 5. as in only 5 assists.

lebron is dangerous when he plays the complete game. he can score 45 for all i care as long as he stays at about 3-4 assists.  :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Times have changed due to the salary cap so overall I do not agree. :(

I want Paul to retire a Celtic as long as he's willing to be paid what he is worth. ; ;D

Ray Allen Will be packaged and traded when he is expiring. ;)

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

Yeah but who wants Ray Allen at this point?  He's just getting older.   Like I said... it's not like we could get a package of Wally, Delonte and a #5 pick for him.

Remember, expiring contracts are fast becoming a more valuable asset than actual solid, contributing players.  Kwame Brown and young talent turned into Pau Gasol.  KG would not have happened if not for Theo's expiring contract.  Wolves couldn't have added Sprewell in 2003 if not for Terrell Brandon's contract.  Etc....  His $19mil last year will have value in that way.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

As much as I would agree that Wally, Delonte and Jeff Green look very appealing right now given Ray's last 2 weeks, let's not forget 2 things:

1) KG does not come here if we do not trade for Ray Allen (not only because of Ray's appeal, but also because common thinking has been that KG is not a fan of playing with Wally)
2) Even though both Delonte and Wally have outplayed Ray this series, neither of them (nor Jeff Green for that matter) outplayed him over the course of the regular season.   Even IF KG comes here without Ray, the C's do not walk away with the league's top record sans RA. And I think homecourt advantage has made its importance known thus far.

Conclusion: RA for Wally, Delonte and #5 -- good trade even though Ray has been just awful in the playoffs. 

Now, four 3's in a row to start the game today and my Ray-frown turns happy once once again.  That is just how fickle I am.
Could of gotten a lot more for the # 5 pick. team s wanted Yi. Golden State would have traded us a good amount. Jason Richardson + or maybe Ellis. Who knows. Ainge tends to not get enough for his lottery picks. The Brandon Roy pick should of netted us better than Telfair. Who were we competing with for Telfair? but then Danny thought Telfair was going to turn into Chris Paul (who Ainge has to regret passing on regarding the Pierce trade). I'd also say that after seeing what L.A. gave up for Gasol and Miami gave up for Marion that we overpaid for KG some. If KG didn't want to come b/c of Wally then a) that's immature and b) as Presti showed, Wally could be moved. Right now Wally is more moveable than Ray. Obviously at the time you couldn't trade just Wally and West for Allen (even though the Sonics would of saved money), but kicking in the #5 pick was a huge overpay. Again, b/c of Yi, the #5 pick had a lot of value. If Ray Allen was 27 or 28, then yes he would be worth the #5 pick.