Poll

How Many regular Season games Should NBA play?

82. Don't touch my regular season!
13 (44.8%)
72-81. Lets just take a few out to reduced B2B's. Play out of conf x2 + in conf x3 gets to 72.
6 (20.7%)
61-72. 4-6 divisions. Everyone plays x2, in division 3x.
5 (17.2%)
58-60. Everyone plays 2x.
4 (13.8%)
Actually, lets play more games! Expand the schedule!
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: How Many Games Should There be in the NBA Regular Season?  (Read 3675 times)

Re: How Many Games Should There be in the NBA Regular Season?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 07:16:03 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
I would prefer to keep it at 82. That being said, if cutting it down to 72 games meant no/less rest games for players and more games with complete rosters I could get down with that.

Along those lines, now that we have had a 17 game NFL season what do you think of that? Personally I hate the change yet for what it will do to the record books.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 07:37:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would prefer to keep it at 82. That being said, if cutting it down to 72 games meant no/less rest games for players and more games with complete rosters I could get down with that.

Along those lines, now that we have had a 17 game NFL season what do you think of that? Personally I hate the change yet for what it will do to the record books.

It's a place holder. NFL is going up to 18 game season sooner rather than later.  It's inevitable.  Have the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend with the built in holiday on Monday.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2024, 10:25:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The players will still sit out and any injury can become more magnified depending on how they do the schedules.  A player may end up missing a greater percentage of the season with the exact same amount of time off.  Or maybe it is a lower percentage missed, but with less games that might be more impactful. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2024, 06:19:42 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Now this is way too extreme, but I think the '99 lockout season of 50 games had some of the best-regular-season-really-matters games in the lead up to the playoffs.

5 Eastern Conference teams (including the top 3) and 7 Western Conference teams (including the top 2) had identical records to other teams in their conference.

7 of the 8 seeds in each conference were decided by 1 win or tiebreakers.  The outcome of 1 regular season game could shift the majority of seeds up or down 2 spots.

Of course a lot of those regular season games sucked because the season was so condensed (a lot of 4 games in 5 nights, several back-to-back-to-backs were played, scoring took a big hit), but the playoff race was great.  50 games spread out over the appropriate amount of time would probably produce some of the most meaningful regular season basketball.

I really don't want to touch games for historical reasons, but I think the fewer regular season games the better (to a point).
I think you are right, but I think even with your caveat that the regular-season games sucked undersells just how hard the games were to watch and enjoy.

However, if we take the position that this is because the lockout ended unexpectedly (guys coming into camp massively unfit because they presumed the whole season was a wash, etc), you could make an argument for 50-60.

That said, I'm an 82 games person. I like things that take a long time.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2024, 08:00:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is a purely academic discussion since shortening the season would mean loss of ticket sales and likely TV revenue. I guess some folks (me included) are really missing C's games during this ASG break.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 08:11:55 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
82.  Every day that there’s a Celtics game is a better day than one without.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 08:42:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think they will ultimately add 2 teams and go to 32, which will likely lead to either 4, 8 team divisons or more likely 8, 4 team divisons. It is at that point a schedule reconfiguration makes sense.

So assuming 8 divisions and 16 teams per conference, I'd do the schedule something like this

Other conference 2 games - 32 games total
Other divisions 3 games - 36 games total
Division 5 games - 15 games total

83 game season (maybe 1 of the divison games is on a neutral floor for each team to keep home and away each at 41 and to bring the sport to new markets). 

They could go to 80 by playing 4 division games

If they do 4 divisions it would be

Other conference 2 games - 32 games total
Other division 3 games - 24 games total
Division 4 games - 28 games total

So that is 84 total games

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 10:52:21 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485

It's a place holder. NFL is going up to 18 game season sooner rather than later.  It's inevitable.  Have the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend with the built in holiday on Monday.

The NFL could add a second bye week in as well and rake in even more revenue.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2024, 01:11:12 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I guess my final answer after waffling on this is I'd be very reluctant to chop much, if anything, off the regular seaosn. My big concern is ticket prices. Its already so expensive just to get into the building for some of these games, if you reduced the regular seaosn by 20% I'd worry prices skyrocket as demand does not decrease.

Si I'd opt to staying at 82.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2024, 01:39:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I know they already kind of mean very little to most people, but I do think having at least the concept of historical comparisons alive is worth something. If they started a 60 game season next year pretty much every single all time record holder for points, rebounds, steals and assists and blocks is the leader for eternity (although I guess that is already true for rebounds). That seems a little lame to me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 01:59:30 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2024, 06:14:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I know they already kind of mean very little to most people, but I do think having at least the concept of historical comparisons alive is worth something. If they started a 60 game season next year pretty much every single all time record holder for points, rebounds, steals and assists and blocks is the leader for eternity (although I guess that is already true for rebounds). That seems a little lame to me.
I think it is true for all of the 5 major categories.  There won't be a new all time leader in points, rebounds, assists, steals, or blocks on any of our lifetimes anyway
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 08:44:22 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2024, 03:13:58 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
It's only a matter of time before the league expands to 32 teams.

Everyone plays each other twice: 31 x 2 = 62 games

As things stand, there's no parity. Some teams have relatively easier schedule cause they happen to be in weak divisions (and vice versa).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 03:23:51 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2024, 03:50:05 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
It's only a matter of time before the league expands to 32 teams.

Everyone plays each other twice: 31 x 2 = 62 games

As things stand, there's no parity. Some teams have relatively easier schedule cause they happen to be in weak divisions (and vice versa).

I wish they could get rid of 6 -8 teams instead of adding.

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2024, 03:52:04 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I’d get rid of Hornets, Hawks, Clippers, Kings, Nets, Magic, Pelicans, Grizzlies

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2024, 04:02:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I think it is true for all of the 5 major categories.  There won't be a new all time leader in points, rebounds, assists, steals, or blocks on any of our lifetimes anyway

I wonder if Halliburton could maybe make a run at assists if he has a super long career. He is definitely not in his prime, has upped his assists every year. He also seems to actually care about getting assists ( was visibly upset when his teammate passed when he could have got a 20 20 assist game). If he could start pumping out some 13 assists a game seasons and stay healthy it seems possible. Still very doubtful but perhaps possible.