Poll

How Many regular Season games Should NBA play?

82. Don't touch my regular season!
13 (44.8%)
72-81. Lets just take a few out to reduced B2B's. Play out of conf x2 + in conf x3 gets to 72.
6 (20.7%)
61-72. 4-6 divisions. Everyone plays x2, in division 3x.
5 (17.2%)
58-60. Everyone plays 2x.
4 (13.8%)
Actually, lets play more games! Expand the schedule!
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: How Many Games Should There be in the NBA Regular Season?  (Read 3675 times)

How Many Games Should There be in the NBA Regular Season?
« on: February 20, 2024, 01:25:54 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
See this topic around a lot late in NBA seasons as injuries start to take their toll. Seems generally accepted that fewer games would lead to fewer injuries, and maybe a higher percentage of games where both teams are healthy. But as a fan who watches a majority of NBA games I'd hate to see fewer. So as an NBA fan how many NBA games do you think is the "right" amount? Taking into account injuries, quality of play, time commitment and ticket pricing?

Re: How Many Games Should There be in the NBA Regular Season?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 01:34:52 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
60 I think would be ideal. The games would mean more and you have less incentive to coast.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 01:35:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Somewhere between 66 and 72 I'd say.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 01:44:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd shave off ten games.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 01:47:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'd be willing to expand to 32 teams, split into 4 divisions of 8. Play every team 2x for 62 games. In division plays 1 extra time for 7 more games. Then a few "floating" match ups based on previous seaosn standings to get extra games where the best teams plays. Say division leaders all play each other 1 extra time. That gets you to 72.

But ultimately I personally wouldn't go any lower than that, even that level feels like a big loss to me. I like watching regular season NBA, even in the doldrums. Cool stuff happens, bit players step up. Part of the appeal of the NBA to me is you don't need to wait a week for the next game. Also: I worry how it would effect ticket prices. C's tickets are already outrageous, if there was 20% less games I worry it prices a lot of people out.

I'd probably even prefer to keep it at 82.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 02:37:33 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 01:54:14 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I voted stay 82 games. There is no way they are going to take games away, but I certainly do not want the NbA adding games

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 02:11:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Agreed about keeping it at 82 games. As a fan I want to watch these guys as much as possible, and I don’t think 82 games over 6 months is too much to ask.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 02:28:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
82. No reason to go less
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 02:39:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Yep 82 games. I have always been absolutely dumbfounded that in an era where players fly first class and stay at 5 star hotels it is too intense for their bodies. I also really like going to the games either here in Denver or when I travel to new cities and they have a game that night. Why would we want less of it?

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 02:41:35 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Keep the 82 games but cut back on the B2B games.  A quick check at the Cs schedule this season looks like at the end of the season they will have played about 14 B2B games.  Maybe they start the season earlier and end later. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024, 03:06:53 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Now this is way too extreme, but I think the '99 lockout season of 50 games had some of the best-regular-season-really-matters games in the lead up to the playoffs.

5 Eastern Conference teams (including the top 3) and 7 Western Conference teams (including the top 2) had identical records to other teams in their conference.

7 of the 8 seeds in each conference were decided by 1 win or tiebreakers.  The outcome of 1 regular season game could shift the majority of seeds up or down 2 spots.

Of course a lot of those regular season games sucked because the season was so condensed (a lot of 4 games in 5 nights, several back-to-back-to-backs were played, scoring took a big hit), but the playoff race was great.  50 games spread out over the appropriate amount of time would probably produce some of the most meaningful regular season basketball.

I really don't want to touch games for historical reasons, but I think the fewer regular season games the better (to a point).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 04:10:30 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  It wouldn’t happen but I’d do 60 games. Playoffs would all be best of 5’s. I don’t think you ever need a seven game series to determine the better team.
   Like said above, the games would have more importance and there would be a better quality of play with never having a  back to back.
  I’d also change the time period of the season so hoop is going on in the heart of summer.  I’ve always considered it more of a summer sport just being on the east coast and being able to play at any free time with ease.
  I wouldn’t  mind checking out hockey, as well. I’m never going to watch a baseball game . It just bores me to death so I wouldn’t personally care about that.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 04:19:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd say around 72, and get rid of all B2Bs.

There've been a lot of marquee games this season that became blowouts early because a certain team would be on the 2nd of a B2B and pretty much mail it in (or sit their guys out) 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 04:38:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I'd say around 72, and get rid of all B2Bs.

There've been a lot of marquee games this season that became blowouts early because a certain team would be on the 2nd of a B2B and pretty much mail it in (or sit their guys out)

Sounds good

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 04:48:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
I think they should keep it at 82. I don’t mind watching regular season games where players are out for rest. It gives the bench guys an opportunity. Get to see how they do with extended minutes.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.