Author Topic: Chris Mannix thinks NBA season can continue in Vegas sometime in the summer  (Read 15122 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
According to JJ Redick most players do want to finish the season out in whatever way possible, so I'm not sure the league changing to a more negative outlook on completing the season is player driven.

I'm also not buying the optics of finishing the season being an issue. Most people I've talked with would be happy to see the season resume in some fashion. I think it's really only a vocal minority pushing back against the idea of resuming play.

My guess is this is a logistical issue more than anything. Hopefully, they figure it out. I would definitely welcome a completion to the season if they can pull it off.
I think you have it mixed up. It's a vocal MAJORITY that don't want to see the league continue. I have friends in the sports industry and they tell me athletes, for the most part, don't want to continue until they are 100% sure it's safe.

JJRedick can say the majority of players want to resume but if that is true, and I'm not 100% certain it is, but a majority could be 60%. If 40% of players don't want to do it, the NBA shouldn't force them to.

If you try force that group to play, there could be major unrest within teams as some players might blame their teammates for putting themselves and possibly their family at risk.

Everyone, league front office, owners, players, television personnel, radio personnel, arena personnel, support personnel all have to be 100% behind this or else, don't do it.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
According to JJ Redick most players do want to finish the season out in whatever way possible, so I'm not sure the league changing to a more negative outlook on completing the season is player driven.

I'm also not buying the optics of finishing the season being an issue. Most people I've talked with would be happy to see the season resume in some fashion. I think it's really only a vocal minority pushing back against the idea of resuming play.

My guess is this is a logistical issue more than anything. Hopefully, they figure it out. I would definitely welcome a completion to the season if they can pull it off.
I think you have it mixed up. It's a vocal MAJORITY that don't want to see the league continue. I have friends in the sports industry and they tell me athletes, for the most part, don't want to continue until they are 100% sure it's safe.

JJRedick can say the majority of players want to resume but if that is true, and I'm not 100% certain it is, but a majority could be 60%. If 40% of players don't want to do it, the NBA shouldn't force them to.

If you try force that group to play, there could be major unrest within teams as some players might blame their teammates for putting themselves and possibly their family at risk.

Everyone, league front office, owners, players, television personnel, radio personnel, arena personnel, support personnel all have to be 100% behind this or else, don't do it.

Yep. For example, I believe JaVale McGee deals with an asthma condition. There are probably many other players around the league dealing with certain health conditions. Seeing what's happening with this pandemic, I would find it hard to believe they'd want to put themselves and their families at risk, even if games have no fans in them.

And obviously, if some players of each team decide not to return, what's the point? Like what if Giannis decides, "nah I don't want to play and risk myself and my family". Then do we really care about the Bucks in a playoff tournament? That'd make things unfair for a lot of teams too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I think the “optics” issue is an unknown.  If the NBA decided to start back next week, the optics would be horrendous.  And certainly even worse in the next month if projections are anywhere near accurate.   

Four months from now we should be well past the peak, but we still may be very much in the throes of social distancing.  Optics will be a factor.  If social distancing is still the norm, watching NBA players sweat and spew all over each other may not be so entertaining; may be uncomfortable to watch. I don’t suspect I’ll want to watch basketball till this feels truly over.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I think the “optics” issue is an unknown.  If the NBA decided to start back next week, the optics would be horrendous.  And certainly even worse in the next month if projections are anywhere near accurate.   

Four months from now we should be well past the peak, but we still may be very much in the throes of social distancing.  Optics will be a factor.  If social distancing is still the norm, watching NBA players sweat and spew all over each other may not be so entertaining; may be uncomfortable to watch. I don’t suspect I’ll want to watch basketball till this feels truly over.

I agree with Phosita's point a few posts back that the optics could turn seriously south if they tried to pull this off and suddenly it lead to several people getting infected.

It just isn't worth it.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Large massive indoor events in the thousands has to be the amoung the last things i expect to return to normal. or even allowed . Also most teams travel by plane , and that isn't coming back soon for public mass transportation ,  that just spreads the germs like crazy. .  Im not getting my hopes up for indoor sports  , till i hear a date for production and distribution of a vaccine.   We ll,be dang lucky if that is this year.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Large massive indoor events in the thousands has to be the amoung the last things i expect to return to normal. or even allowed . Also most teams travel by plane , and that isn't coming back soon for public mass transportation ,  that just spreads the germs like crazy. .  Im not getting my hopes up for indoor sports  , till i hear a date for production and distribution of a vaccine.   We ll,be dang lucky if that is this year.
Correct, regarding large indoor events.  Not happening any time soon.

There will not be a vaccine in 2020.  Maybe 2021, maybe.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm guessing by mid-May, people can start gradually going back to work on a regular basis, BUT things like schools, concerts and sports will still be mostly cancelled as they probably wouldn't want gatherings of over 1,000+ for a while, even if things get better in the next month.

As for workplaces, especially crowded ones, it might be a rotation of work from home and going into work, so that not everyone goes back at the exact same time.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
MLB talking about a return as early as May in Arizona.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

Sort of makes the NBA not so crazy in talking about a restart this summer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So more information coming out about MLB plan.

It includes, no umpires and will have a fully electronic strike zone.  The players would not be in the dugout but would be spread out in the empty stands with the only real close contact coming with the catcher at the plate and the plays at the bases. 

They are also discussing radical realignment for the season such that the Grapefruit and Cactus normal spring training sites would end up being the two leagues and the home games (they are discussing 26 home sites including the Rays, Marlins, and Diamondback domed stadiums).  Thus significantly reducing travel and interaction but giving some level of home for the home team.  Obviously the states of Florida and Arizona need to sign off on such arrangement.  The schedule would be 12 games against each of your new division and 6 games against the other teams in your state, and they are looking at the World Series in the domed stadiums in November.  They would work in double headers each night since there are an odd number of teams in each state (i.e. 15 each). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

It includes, no umpires and will have a fully electronic strike zone.  The players would not be in the dugout but would be spread out in the empty stands with the only real close contact coming with the catcher at the plate and the plays at the bases. 

They are also discussing radical realignment for the season such that the Grapefruit and Cactus normal spring training sites would end up being the two leagues and the home games (they are discussing 26 home sites including the Rays, Marlins, and Diamondback domed stadiums).  Thus significantly reducing travel and interaction but giving some level of home for the home team.  Obviously the states of Florida and Arizona need to sign off on such arrangement.  The schedule would be 12 games against each of your new division and 6 games against the other teams in your state, and they are looking at the World Series in the domed stadiums in November.  They would work in double headers each night since there are an odd number of teams in each state (i.e. 15 each).

Kind of just reeks of desperation. Unfortunately none of this seems feasible any time soon. So many major blocks to it, not least of which is many players don’t want to leave their families during a pandemic. Chatter on NBA returning has quieted down this week as well.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Kind of just reeks of desperation. Unfortunately none of this seems feasible any time soon. So many major blocks to it, not least of which is many players don’t want to leave their families during a pandemic. Chatter on NBA returning has quieted down this week as well.
There was an article on ESPN that I linked to in the Coronavirus and Sports threads that had quotes from player after player saying they wouldn't make the sacrifice of being away from family for possibly up to 4 months during this pandemic crisis.

MLB can come up with all the plans in the world, the NBA and NHL too. But if the players aren't going to leave their loved ones behind in the crisis, there will be no games.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

There was an article on ESPN that I linked to in the Coronavirus and Sports threads that had quotes from player after player saying they wouldn't make the sacrifice of being away from family for possibly up to 4 months during this pandemic crisis.

MLB can come up with all the plans in the world, the NBA and NHL too. But if the players aren't going to leave their loved ones behind in the crisis, there will be no games.

exactly !   why would they want to risk their lives or health of their families.   It might take a  hundred people , security,  transpotation ,  medical staff,  lights , maintenance,   police , on and on to open up just for them even if no fans are there.   This doesn't sound appealing as a player to me or to watch . 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

exactly !   why would they want to risk their lives or health of their families.   It might take a  hundred people , security,  transpotation ,  medical staff,  lights , maintenance,   police , on and on to open up just for them even if no fans are there.   This doesn't sound appealing as a player to me or to watch .
I think what several players said multiple times in the ESPN article I mentioned bares repeating and that was(paraphrasing):

Hey, my wife is pregnant. I am not leaving her with a baby due.

Or

Hey, I have teammates who's wives are expecting. I can't imagine them leaving their wife and family now, during all this, to play ball like that for months. Nor would I expect them to.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Double post

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
According to Woj, there's a chance that fans won't be in attendance of games for A FEW years (at least through 2021). Though NBA games can be played again some time in the future, it's likely to be without attendance for a while. The logic is that they don't want to have fans gathering into arenas until a vaccine comes out, but that could take between 12-18 months