Author Topic: Woj predicts Gobert could get traded this off-season  (Read 10369 times)

Woj predicts Gobert could get traded this off-season
« on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
He states on ESPN that there is too much of a rift between Donovan and him. And they have to essentially choose between the two, considering Gobert's contract coming up, his recklessness, and the fact Mitchell's been voicing his frustrations on social media as of recently.

While he says it can still be amended, the tension between the two has been a lot higher than we expected.
ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the relationship between Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert and the rest of his team is significantly frayed. 

"The Jazz are fortunate that they don't have to get back together and start playing games again right now. There is a lot of work to do to repair relationships. ... There's a lot of frustration with Gobert," Wojnarowski said on SportsCenter Thursday (h/t NBA Central).
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Woj predicts Gobert could get traded this off-season
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wow. Crazy! I imagine Gobert's popularity couldn't really be lower.

I get that he didn't know he had it, but he was mocking health advice regarding a global pandemic. It's dumb at the very best
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 10:31:06 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I cannot seem to post the streamble link... if someone can I'll throw a TP?

Sucks, I've been sick for two days now, but I think I have the common cold...

Yeah I feel like Gobert is being given a lot of resentment that's undeserved, but I recall a report that he and Jordan Clarkson left quarantine when they were being tested..

That is terrible if true.

While Gobert is the easy target or scapegoat right now, it was bound to happen. It's just based on what I've read and seen, Gobert had a very lax attitude to this entire pandemic. Which unfortunately makes him way too easy to judge. It's unfortunate he picked the wrong time to do it and right before his contract ends :/

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 10:35:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
CBS wants his Centers to switch ball screens on D. I don't think Gobert would be a good fit for our system. Having said that, I'm a fan of his game.

(Not that I expect the Jazz to trade him because of what happened. Just saying.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:41:02 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 10:37:51 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'd trade Mitchell instead of Gobert if I were the Jazz front office tbh. He's a lesser player than Gobert but brings more value in a trade, ntm his skillset isn't all that difficult to replace (volume scoring on middling efficiency+decent but not good creation skills). The problem with moving Mitchell is his small salary, but I think keeping Gobert is the way to go.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 10:41:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Mitchell and Gobert are both coming up for extensions. The team may not have a choice in the matter if the rift is truly that bad.

FWIW its been speculated that the Jazz might not want to commit to building around Gobert through his next contract anyways....

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 10:44:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'd trade Mitchell instead of Gobert if I were the Jazz front office tbh. He's a lesser player than Gobert but brings more value in a trade, ntm his skillset isn't all that difficult to replace (volume scoring on middling efficiency+decent but not good creation skills). The problem with moving Mitchell is his small salary, but I think keeping Gobert is the way to go.
One is going into his age 28 season, the other his age 24.

Also I think looking forward to where the NBA is going building around Gobert looks much more difficult than Mitchell.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 10:45:08 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Mitchell and Gobert are both coming up for extensions. The team may not have a choice in the matter if the rift is truly that bad.

FWIW its been speculated that the Jazz might not want to commit to building around Gobert through his next contract anyways....

You can argue that there's probably no way Gobert is getting that super max if he was indeed eligible.

Just a costly mistake. Not to mention the Jazz players have yet to defend Gobert, some have wished well for both of their well beings. But in lieu of Woj's reports, theres been indefinite silence.

Take it as you will?

I would love either, if they want to trade us Michell, we would love to do it. *Coughs*

Gobert is also older and will get paid a lot more.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 10:48:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
He won back to back DPOY the two prior years, has been in the league over 6 years, and has one year left on his contract after this season.

Thus he's already eligible for the super max this off season.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 10:50:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Also I'm reminded that sometimes teams leak "might be traded" to try and scare their players straight a bit. I wonder if this leak is designed to get Gobert to go make things right with Donovan ASAP more than anything.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 10:56:08 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Mitchell and Gobert are the players to keep. It is the rest of their team that is the problem. Not enough high end talent.

Gotta build a team like the 2004 Pistons with 4-5 All-Star or near All-Star players to make it work with Mitchell and Gobert as cornerstones. Utah have none of those players. They were hoping Conley could be one of them but that hasn't worked out. So they have only 40-50% of the puzzle in place. That is why they are not a title contender.

Do not blame 1 of the 2 guys (Mitchell, Gobert) who are actually part of the solution and not the problem.

Utah not scouting their own players well enough. Do not understand the players on their team. Their strengths / weaknesses. Start by moving Donovan Mitchell over to PG. He had issues with Conley and with Rubio before him. He doesn't share the ball well with PGs. He either needs to be the PG or play next to a lower usage more off-ball PG (like Kobe had in Derek Fisher or Wade in M.Chalmers). 

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 11:01:25 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit ridiculous Woj would post THIS literally as Gobert and Mitchell are dealing with the coronavirus? Like I know they will end up being fine, but come on...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 11:08:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Mitchell and Gobert are the players to keep. It is the rest of their team that is the problem. Not enough high end talent.

Gotta build a team like the 2004 Pistons with 4-5 All-Star or near All-Star players to make it work with Mitchell and Gobert as cornerstones. Utah have none of those players. They were hoping Conley could be one of them but that hasn't worked out. So they have only 40-50% of the puzzle in place. That is why they are not a title contender.

Do not blame 1 of the 2 guys (Mitchell, Gobert) who are actually part of the solution and not the problem.

Utah not scouting their own players well enough. Do not understand the players on their team. Their strengths / weaknesses. Start by moving Donovan Mitchell over to PG. He had issues with Conley and with Rubio before him. He doesn't share the ball well with PGs. He either needs to be the PG or play next to a lower usage more off-ball PG (like Kobe had in Derek Fisher or Wade in M.Chalmers).
Or Kyle Lowry!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
One is going into his age 28 season, the other his age 24.

Also I think looking forward to where the NBA is going building around Gobert looks much more difficult than Mitchell.
I think that both guys are less than ideal centrepieces. Gobert obviously gets run off the court against 5-out offences, but the degree of difficulty to build such an offence that actually works is pretty high (only GSW and Houston come to mind with the latter sacrificing their rim protection to make it happen). I guess I simply don't see a championship calibre offence with Mitchell as the centrepiece while I can see a championship calibre defence that has Gobert spearheading it, even in the modern NBA (I actually love where the league is currently going, it's refreshing to see teams trying to maximise efficiency in different ways).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit ridiculous Woj would post THIS literally as Gobert and Mitchell are dealing with the coronavirus? Like I know they will end up being fine, but come on...
Agreed.  Is the rift solely related to Gobert's behavior surrounding COVID-19, or have there been other issues.  If it's the former, I'm sure they can salvage it.  Gobert has come out and apologized for his mistakes.