Author Topic: Stan Van Gundy is not good...  (Read 3463 times)

Re: Stan Van Gundy is not good...
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 10:55:53 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Just to be clear, does anyone think Stan Van Gundy is doing a good job with New Orleans?

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 11:42:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think Van Gundy is the problem.  I wasn't nearly as high on New Orleans as many on this board were, because I had concerns there was going to be a roster construction problem.  I thought the talent might win out, but so far it hasn't.  They do still have time to figure it out some, but I'm not really sure Ingram and Williamson are a good long term fit and Ball and Adams just don't work in the starting lineup either, especially with Bledsoe.  I think they'd be a lot better if they moved Bledsoe for a 3 and D off the ball type player.  They need someone that doesn't need touches but that can hit the open shot while also holding his own defensively.  Ball can do the defense, but he is a terrible off the ball offensive player in large part because he can't shoot.  Without a trade, I'd probably start Hart and move Ball to the bench.  Let him run the 2nd unit.  I think that would be better for him and the team as it would take shooting pressure off of him and he is so much better when he has the ball in his hand.  His first 3 years he improved every year while shooting more 3's and was at 37.5%, maybe going to the bench will put him back into that range again, which would do wonders for their team.  Hart is a more consistent and better shooter and doesn't need the ball in his hand to be effective so I think he'd work better in the starting lineup.  I'd also cut down on Adams minutes and give Hayes more minutes.  The Pelicans need to figure out if Hayes can be play and be the long term answer for them down low.  It won't help the crowding the paint problem, but I do think the better mobility of Hayes will help Williamson more than Adams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 12:22:34 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I don't think Van Gundy is the problem.  I wasn't nearly as high on New Orleans as many on this board were, because I had concerns there was going to be a roster construction problem.  I thought the talent might win out, but so far it hasn't.  They do still have time to figure it out some, but I'm not really sure Ingram and Williamson are a good long term fit and Ball and Adams just don't work in the starting lineup either, especially with Bledsoe.  I think they'd be a lot better if they moved Bledsoe for a 3 and D off the ball type player.  They need someone that doesn't need touches but that can hit the open shot while also holding his own defensively.  Ball can do the defense, but he is a terrible off the ball offensive player in large part because he can't shoot.  Without a trade, I'd probably start Hart and move Ball to the bench.  Let him run the 2nd unit.  I think that would be better for him and the team as it would take shooting pressure off of him and he is so much better when he has the ball in his hand.  His first 3 years he improved every year while shooting more 3's and was at 37.5%, maybe going to the bench will put him back into that range again, which would do wonders for their team.  Hart is a more consistent and better shooter and doesn't need the ball in his hand to be effective so I think he'd work better in the starting lineup.  I'd also cut down on Adams minutes and give Hayes more minutes.  The Pelicans need to figure out if Hayes can be play and be the long term answer for them down low.  It won't help the crowding the paint problem, but I do think the better mobility of Hayes will help Williamson more than Adams.

You have a better plan than Van Gundy.