3 (2%)
MIL in 5
9 (6.1%)
MIL in 6
21 (14.2%)
MIL in 7
14 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Poll: Celtics-Bucks Series Prediction  (Read 20274 times)

Re: Poll: Celtics-Bucks Series Prediction
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Have we seen Theis on Giannis? Theis was out during the playoffs last year and I don't have a good memory of Theis guarding Giannis during this regular season. I know he hasn't been good for a while but, physically, he seems like he'd be as well suited at tangling with Giannis as anyone.
In the 1st Milwaukee game this year, where the C's won, Brown and Theis were out and Semi started and played 22 minutes, mostly all on Giannis.

In the second meeting, Horford, Morris and Baynes we're out so Semi started but if I remember right Brown, Smart and Hayward spent most of the night on Giannis while Semi and Theis played against Lopez and Maker. C's lost by 13.

In the last meeting this year, Bucks won by a point, the Celtics were shorthanded again with no Hayward or Baynes. Semi played 12 minutes, Theis 6 minutes and neither did much of anything. It was mostly Morris and Brown on Giannis, if I remember correctly.

So, the Celtics will be down Smart in the series, but I think Stevens will go with Morris, Hayward and Semi on Giannis with Brown denying Middleton.
ga
Is he definitely out the whole series? It seems like the soonest game 1 would be would be 6 days from now. A potential game game 6 or 7 would be like 3 weeks from now?

« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2019, 04:46:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Just don't let Middleton do his thing.

Yeah. Everyone in the national media and on here talks about MVP Giannis.

But my biggest fear is Middleton going Ray Allen on us (as he usually does) and dropping 30+ a game throughout the series   :P

If that happens in addition to Giannis going beast mode as we expect, then yeah our chances become super slim (even slimmer than they are now).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2019, 04:47:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Have we seen Theis on Giannis? Theis was out during the playoffs last year and I don't have a good memory of Theis guarding Giannis during this regular season. I know he hasn't been good for a while but, physically, he seems like he'd be as well suited at tangling with Giannis as anyone.
In the 1st Milwaukee game this year, where the C's won, Brown and Theis were out and Semi started and played 22 minutes, mostly all on Giannis.

In the second meeting, Horford, Morris and Baynes we're out so Semi started but if I remember right Brown, Smart and Hayward spent most of the night on Giannis while Semi and Theis played against Lopez and Maker. C's lost by 13.

In the last meeting this year, Bucks won by a point, the Celtics were shorthanded again with no Hayward or Baynes. Semi played 12 minutes, Theis 6 minutes and neither did much of anything. It was mostly Morris and Brown on Giannis, if I remember correctly.

So, the Celtics will be down Smart in the series, but I think Stevens will go with Morris, Hayward and Semi on Giannis with Brown denying Middleton.
ga
Is he definitely out the whole series? It seems like the soonest game 1 would be would be 6 days from now. A potential game game 6 or 7 would be like 3 weeks from now?
See the posts above this

What is latest on Smart? We have a full week off till game 1 it seems. We probably would not have a game 4 for another week after that.
Last Friday Smart declared he was weeks away from starting to jog.  So 2 weeks from now during about game 4, Smart might be ready to start jogging.

I can't help but wonder if he will be available for the ECFs if the Celtics get there.

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2019, 04:53:55 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I hope Stevens doesn't bother double-teaming Giannis. The guy usually can't be stopped, even with two guys guarding him, and I don't want guys like Middleton being left wide open. I think the best strategy is to play everything 1v1 and let the chips fall where they may.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »

Online CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

But my biggest fear is Middleton going Ray Allen on us (as he usually does) and dropping 30+ a game throughout the series   :P

If that happens in addition to Giannis going beast mode as we expect, then yeah our chances become super slim (even slimmer than they are now).
I believe last year's series was a fluke. Out of memory, I'd say he shot 50/60/90. He's good, but no one is that good, not even Larry Bird.

No one seems to mention that we've played them quite close in our 3 games this season (1 blowout each way and a 1 point loss at Mil). Dont forget, we're healthier now and playing better, while they're playing about the same. I dont believe they have that next gear.

EDIT: I checked, it was 61/60/73. A whopping 71efg%
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:08:52 PM by CelticsPoetry »

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2019, 04:58:25 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I hope Stevens doesn't bother double-teaming Giannis. The guy usually can't be stopped, even with two guys guarding him, and I don't want guys like Middleton being left wide open. I think the best strategy is to play everything 1v1 and let the chips fall where they may.

There will probably be a good amount of that, but then also some time mixing up the schemes so they don't get too comfortable. I expect a fair amount of stunting and show-and-recover, with the occasional double-team, to keep him guessing.

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2019, 05:10:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

Also expect Eric Bledsoe, Ersan Ilyasova, Brook Lopez, and Malcolm Brogdon to have career games against the Celtics.  :(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2019, 05:22:55 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
I predict the Bucks Celtics series to go 6-7 games easily

Raptors - Philly - Raptors in 5 philly is fake.

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
How do we think the Cs play this? I think they start big with Baynes in the starting lineup and go to Horford in the post versus  Giannis trying to beat him down a bit ( and maybe foul trouble). Then attack the likes of Lopez and Mirotic defensively.

Also Cs will launch like a zillion threes this series the way MIL plays. Prepare yourselves.

Also, I figure different looks at Giannis but mostly one vs one and focus on making Middleton uncomfortable.

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
How do we think the Cs play this? I think they start big with Baynes in the starting lineup and go to Horford in the post versus  Giannis trying to beat him down a bit ( and maybe foul trouble). Then attack the likes of Lopez and Mirotic defensively.

Also Cs will launch like a zillion threes this series the way MIL plays. Prepare yourselves.

Also, I figure different looks at Giannis but mostly one vs one and focus on making Middleton uncomfortable.

I agree re: Middleton.  I truly believe that keeping him in check is the key to the series.  I am expecting a steady diet of Jaylen Brown on Middleton.  Baynes/Horford need to stay home on Lopez as well.  The Celtics need to focus on guarding the 3 point line and knockdown shooters.  Let Giannis do his thing and keep everyone else in check.

I am not sure if this will happen, but I am wondering if Tatum will end up guarding Bledsoe.  The more I ponder it, I think Bledsoe can be a huge matchup problem for the Cs and it may actually be beneficial to pull Baynes out of the starting lineup in favor of Rozier.  Rozier played Bledsoe well last year and can counteract the speed of Bledsoe.  This will allow Irving to take Brown, Jaylen Brown to take Middleton, Horford on Lopez and Tatum on Giannis.  Tatum will get abused defensively, but it may be the best option to slow the rest of the team.  If Tatum gets in foul trouble, we can bring in Morris, Hayward and even Ojeleye for some relief.

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2019, 08:32:04 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
Heart says Celtics in 6.
Head says Bucks in 7, though certainly this is a winnable series for the C's.

Anyone else not looking forward to this series?  I loathe watching games where there is clear superstar treatment.  Giannis is averaging almost 8 FT attempts per game in just 27 MPG against Detroit through 3 playoff games.  For the same reason I hate playing Houston and Philly because of Harden and Embiid, respectively.  I expect a lot of soft calls to be made, much like how we were being whistled for offensive fouls in game 4 against the Pacers when our players tried to establish position in the post.  Complete nonsense.

I expect the C's to attack their weak defensive links consistently - Lopez (on the perimeter), Mirotic, Hill.  I agree that we need to focus on limiting their role players the best we can and let Giannis get his.  And we need Semi to be ready.  He's going to get playing time in this series.

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2019, 08:36:14 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
According to an ESPN reporter, there will be an update on Brogdon's expected return date in 3-5 days.  My prediction is based on the assumption that Brogdon is healthy by game 1.  If he for some reason does not return for the series, the Celtics will win in 6.

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
With a gun to my head i would have to pick Milwaukee in 7. I think coach Bud is a better coach than Stevens and it will show in this series. This is not a series that Stevens can get outcoached in if we have any shot of advancing. If he's smart he will bench Theis in favor of Williams in this series (our best rim protector by far) seeing as though Giannis will be attacking the paint relentlessly. Let's see if Stevens has the guts to make the right moves.
Stevens using Williams would absolutely prove he is being out coached by Budenholzer. Williams doesn't belong anywhere near quality minutes in these playoffs. He isn't ready for anything except some garbage minutes during a blowout.

That said, I am not a fan of giving Theis minutes and if Smart comes back 100% in these playoffs, which I don't have a lot of confidence he will, then play Smart and sit Rozier.

Gotta play basically your top 8 or 9 at most.

Totally disagree here. Myles Turner is proof that a guy who blocks every shot in sight is enough to strike fear in your opponent driving into the paint. He rejected every Celtic who ventured into the paint. Williams has this same ability. I really don't care if Williams blows a rotation or a close out as long as he is swatting everything near the rim. Nobody fears driving into the paint against Boston. Stevens needs to insert the only guy who will strike fear into the opponent while driving. I know he won't do this which is why i'm predicting a Bucks series win.

I can't see Williams getting any quality playing time. However, if we go by your scenario, Williams will foul out within minutes because the referees will not show him any respect. If Williams blocked Giannis 5 times, the refs would have called 4 of them as fouls. Referees totally disregard rookies in the playoffs, especially rookies that had very little playing time during the regular season.

The refs do totally disregard rookies in the playoffs but that's a risk Stevens should be willing to take (but he won't). I've been watching this league for a very long time and there's only a small handful of shot blockers I've seen with Williams' ability. If there is any series to play this guy this is the one.

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2019, 09:06:15 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm starting to question who actually watches our games on here. Like seriously, people still want Robert Williams to get actual playing time? In the playoffs, no less? The dude is no where close to being ready to contribute. He'll get destroyed if we play him.

Why exactly is the dude nowhere near ready to contribute? Are you afraid of him blowing a defensive assignment? Everybody on the team blows defensive assignments. Are you afraid of him not knowing the playbook? If he didn't know that he would be in the G League. This dude is better than both Theis and Baynes by a very large margin. His shot blocking is elite. Baynes and Theis are both mediocre in every aspect of the game.

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2019, 09:39:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Also expect Eric Bledsoe, Ersan Ilyasova, Brook Lopez, and Malcolm Brogdon to have career games against the Celtics.  :(
With Brogdon out for the season I doubt he will!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)