Author Topic: Why did Red really like Forte?  (Read 3693 times)

Why did Red really like Forte?
« on: February 03, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Interesting article I just read

http://www.igtc.com/archives/celtics/2001/Jul/msg00203.html

Someone just made a comment that Red drafted forte and blah, blah.  I personally think in a lot of ways Red was a lot smarter than people give him credit for regardless and lack depth when they say stuff like that.  Reading this article it more sounds like Red was ahead of his time.  He sounds like he is describing Steph Curry. Maybe the celtics just were such a mess then they didn't develop the players they had correctly. Red was really out of the loop at that point as far as being a hands on coach or GM.

The world may never know but had Red been the coach or GM Joe forte might have been Steph Curry.

Red was an innovator and a trend setter and could back it up. I would never put anything past him.  I think the game lacks that in ways.  Too much the same and people who follow trends vs setting them.

I personally think our current ownership can kiss his rings in that regard.

Re: Why did Red really like Forte?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:37:31 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
You know what's worse? Tony Parker thought the Celtics were going to draft him at the spot where they drafted Forte. He had Celtics apparel and everything prepped for the selection. I can't believe we took Forte over Parker and Gilbert Arenas.

Heck, Brian Scalabrine, who was taken 35th overall in that draft, would have been a better pick than Forte.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:39:03 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Greg Popovich is also a very good coach and got the most out of Tony Parker. 

Just look at Rondo here vs Rondo in Dallas.  I still think there is more to what Red saw.  He just wasn't the coach at that time.

Ainge drafted Rondo with a plan.  Red was a detached observer when he said that.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Bill Belichick has made some mistakes with his drafting. Red wasn't perfect either, because he was a human being.

Saying Joe Forte could have been Curry and that Red was ahead of his time in this regard is absurd.

That would be the biggest player swing ever.

This is from Wiki..."In two seasons with the Celtics and the Seattle SuperSonics, Forte averaged 1.2 points and 0.7 assists per game"

Does that sound like a possible Curry to you?

This is the list of the teams he has played for after leaving the NBA

2004–2005    Asheville Altitude
2005–2006    Apollon Patras BC
2006–2007    Montepaschi Siena
2007–2008    UNICS Kazan
2008    Fortitudo Bologna
2008–2009    Snaidero Udine
2010    Nuova Pallacanestro Pavia
2011    Pistoia Basket
2011    Ironi Ashkelon
2012    Petrochimi Bandar Imam BC
2014–2015    Maccabi Tel Aviv

There is nothing Curry about Joseph Forte and there never was.

He isn't Steph. He isn't Dell. He isn't Seth.  He is nothing like a Curry

We just took a guy that averaged barely a point a game and said "yeah he could have been an MVP and a totally dominant player. If only he'd had Red"

What next? Brandon Hunter coulda been the next Chief?

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
If Mark Cuban had drafted Rondo he wouldn't have been very good either though.  Carlisle made a mess of Rondo. Rondo would have been out of the league and the same thing.  Dallas had no clue how to utilize him.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 07:45:43 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Greg Popovich is also a very good coach and got the most out of Tony Parker. 

Just look at Rondo here vs Rondo in Dallas.  I still think there is more to what Red saw.  He just wasn't the coach at that time.

Ainge drafted Rondo with a plan.  Red was a detached observer when he said that.

Even the best have duds man. Heck, Red had more duds than just Forte. How about Michael Smith?

Pat Riley is a very well-respected basketball mind, but he took Michael Beasley over Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook.

Even the best of them miss.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 07:46:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Forte was also a knucklehead.  Certainly didn't have the same demeanor as Curry.  Not even close.

The guy once showed up for a C's game rocking a Lakers throwback.   Then there was the Scooby Doo shirt during the playoffs.

Guy was clueless and had an ego to boot. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 07:46:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think Red's recommendation of Forte was simply a mistake.  He made mistakes as GM too.  Quite a few. 

Among the #1 picks by Red Auerbach: Glenn McDonald, Clarence Glover, Norm Cook, Tom Boswell, Freeman Williams, Charles Bradley, Daren Tillis, Michael Young, Sam Vincent.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 07:50:11 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mDRq0C-2vY

here's forte now.  I don't know.  Players need guidance. Had Rondo been drafted by Mark Cuban he might have ended up being arrested on gun charges as well. With that kind of talent being unfulfilled that can drive people nuts.  That happens too and is more the reality of it.

Whenever a player fails I think it's more than just on the individual. A lot of players today play the game like a bunch of **** imo because its just the state of the nba.   They lack that ability to be trend setters themselves and guidance on how to do that in a positive way.

Forte seems to have found some  happiness though so that's good. He looks good and is still playing. That says something for his character.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 07:59:58 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mDRq0C-2vY

here's forte now.  I don't know.  Players need guidance. Had Rondo been drafted by Mark Cuban he might have ended up being arrested on gun charges as well. With that kind of talent being unfulfilled that can drive people nuts.  That happens too and is more the reality of it.

Whenever a player fails I think it's more than just on the individual. A lot of players today play the game like a bunch of **** imo because its just the state of the nba.   They lack that ability to be trend setters themselves and guidance on how to do that in a positive way.

Forte seems to have found some  happiness though so that's good. He looks good and is still playing. That says something for his character.

He seems super cool and it sucks that it happened to him, but he seems to be doing good all things considered.  I'm kind of surprised he is just a practice player, though.  Also LOL at the guy who seems to get the ball stuck in the rim at the 2 minute mark

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 08:00:29 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Joe Forte was not the only one on those teams.  I more think it was the organization. Mercer. Antoine.  Even Pierce wanted out. He wanted to be traded to Dallas at the time.  Are you telling me none of those guys had talent? There were so many failures during that time it was ridiculous.

Pierce was saved and redeemed himself here. Most of those guys were not that lucky.

Joe Johnson. Chauncey Billups.  The list goes on.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Reggie Lewis. The common trend during all of this is that Red was becoming more and more of a detached observer and other people were running the team.  ML Carr. Rick Pitino.  Jim O'brien guys like that.