Author Topic: Jeff Green (Disappointed)  (Read 6300 times)

Jeff Green (Disappointed)
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I rooting for this guy to be the leader for this ball club while Rondo has been out, but he's no where near what I thought he'll be. I don't like to play the blame game but he is the reason for the Celtics losses. He disappears just about every game, & his leadership role has diminished. Jordan Crawford is more head strong and has taken over this team from Jeff Green.

Did you know: In the Celtics last 10 games Jeff Green has yet to score 20 or more points in a single game?

Simply put when we lost Rondo and Paul Pierce had to take over even more, if he had score less than 20pts in 10 games str8 Celtics would not have even made the playoffs.

Hopefully there is a turn around soon for Jeff Green. With the addition of Bayless (which I love the trade) been wanting him to be a Celtic for a few years now. Rondo is also returning in a few weeks or so. Jeff better play like the contract he was given.

I'm willing to make this happen... with some draft picks
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qbutffm
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:04:21 AM by Rtpas11 »

Re: Jeff Green (Disappointed)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 09:54:59 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I rooting for this guy to be the leader for this ball club while Rondo has been out, but he's no where near what I thought he'll be. I don't like to play the blame game but he is the reason for the Celtics losses. He disappears just about every game, & his leadership role has diminished. Jordan Crawford is more head strong and has taken over this team from Jeff Green.

Did you know: In the Celtics last 10 games Jeff Green has yet to score 20 or more points in a single game?

Simply put when we lost Rondo and Paul Pierce had to take over even more, if he had score less than 20pts in 10 games str8 Celtics would not have even made the playoffs.

Hopefully there is a turn around soon for Jeff Green. With the addition of Bayless (which I love the trade) been wanting him to be a Celtic for a few years now. Rondo is also returning in a few weeks or so. Jeff better play like the contract he was given.

my in-depth analysis of Jeff Green - he stinks....

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Green is what he has been his entire professional and pretty much collegiate career. He's also what 27-28? He is what he is, doesn't have the drive to lead or win, in the words of Jalen Rose hes content to keep gettin dem checks.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:58:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've said this before, but I think those who are disappointed by what they've seen from Green this season weren't setting reasonable expectations for him.

He's the same this season as he's always been.  He's been more or less the same player his whole career, even with changing situations.  He's a bit more productive when he gets extended minutes, but generally his per-minute production over a larger sample is very, very consistent while his game-to-game production is inconsistent.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Jeff Green is a good player but isn't a go to scorer.

This was evident to me from the start and the whole time and so I am not surprised.  He is a good defender, strong finisher, great athlete, good 3 pt shooter, has great height, and he can get really hot some games.  To me he has not been surprising since he got here.

I get some of it because he's definitely a player who seems like he could be an All-Star if only "he wanted it" (he just doesn't have the make up to look for his shots like that most times).  He just is not that type of player. 

But what player is there, does not "stink".  Get out of here with that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This disappointment is the fault of you expecting to much of Green.

You expected him to be a star when he has never been a star. 

As someone else said, Green is the player Green is.  If you expected him to be the player he was in the past, you are not disappointed. 

Green is a good player.  He is not a star or near star.  A good player with the occasional really big game.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I've said this before, but I think those who are disappointed by what they've seen from Green this season weren't setting reasonable expectations for him.

He's the same this season as he's always been.  He's been more or less the same player his whole career, even with changing situations.  He's a bit more productive when he gets extended minutes, but generally his per-minute production over a larger sample is very, very consistent while his game-to-game production is inconsistent.

This exactly.

If you're disappointed in Green, you likely had unrealistic expectstions to begin with.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Jeff Green is a good player but isn't a go to scorer.

This was evident to me from the start and the whole time and so I am not surprised.  He is a good defender, strong finisher, great athlete, good 3 pt shooter, has great height, and he can get really hot some games.  To me he has not been surprising since he got here.

I get some of it because he's definitely a player who seems like he could be an All-Star if only "he wanted it" (he just doesn't have the make up to look for his shots like that most times).  He just is not that type of player. 

But what player is there, does not "stink".  Get out of here with that.

I may be over board with the stink part but I have said this on this board a bunch of times.  Jeff Green is an average NBA player.  Nothing great, he will have a break out game on occasion but nothing special going on with him. 

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I generally don't blame Green for losses.  I don't feel like he makes a lot of obvious mistakes or takes shots he doesn't take.  He seems like a guy who is better off working within a system and staying within his role, which can't involve being a go-to scorer or a better rebounder than he has been in the past.

I like him as a guy who is expected to play defense and make threes and occasionally have a big game when your primary scorers aren't hitting.  I'd like for him to have the same stoic demeanor as Brad Stevens and for his veteran leadership to consist of providing emotional stability to avoid a sense of panic when the opposing team goes on a run.

He's a replaceable player, but there's nothing about him that should make you want to get rid of him and his contract for the sake of making a move.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I will say this.

I had high expectations for him. I thought he could at least be somewhat competitive, or try to go for more than 18 PPG. But they are now tampered for the moment. I was hoping he could just take over games, and be very aggressive. His long wing span, and his athletic ability to get in the paint the moment he does his long one dribble drive should at least net him 5-7 fouls per game. In the past 10 games where he hasn't even scored over 20 points, Green hasn't averaged over 6 FTA during that duration. And I'm not surprised. Green isn't a superstar, or even close to an Allstar.

He just doesn't have that drive, and I'm slowly getting that fact sunk in now. Yes he is a great 3 point spot up shooter, and can amaze/dazzle us with some thunderous dunks, and at times seems unstoppable when he goes for over 20 points.

But he doesn't have it. That is the problem here. The reason why there are superstars, stars, franchise players, and Allstars is they have keyed in the passion and intensity that drives them to win games. That is what Pierce, KG, and Rondo have. Hopefully, Sullinger will have that too.

I'm not disappointed in Green anymore, but I'm no longer enamored with him. Yes I would like to keep him if we get a superstar. I believe he can be the best 3rd or even a second option, but I think that title will either be sent to Sullinger or even Bradley at this point. But if any GM is interested in making Green a solid piece for their contender, and is offering picks or a star in return for young prospects I hope DA is ready to get him shipped.

The problem with Jeff Green is he doesn't really have that fire. He knows he can rebound, but he doesn't do it. He knows he can drive, but he sits at the 3 point line waiting for the shot to come. He knows he can score, but when push comes to shove, Green won't demand or scream for the ball. He'll just clap his hands a few times for it, and then passively wait in the corner or grab the ball, survey the field, and then pass the ball away with a few seconds forcing the person to shoot.

Green can do so much, and is athletically gifted. But he doesn't.

Hes content with people being disappointed in him, because he doesn't really seem to care. What I will not say that isn't true about Green is that he has never ever been inconsistent. Hes been the same player that I thought he always was, but I mistakenly put him on a pedestal hoping he could surprise me.

I will say this in advance.

Brad Stevens doesn't draw up too many plays for Green. I think in the corner of his mind CBS knows too for Green to be a scoring option. CBS system of emphasizing ball movement, also doesn't help Green get his touch since he doesn't demand the ball and isn't selfish.

We'll see if Rondo can make everyone including Green look better than they are. But I know who Green is now, and honestly I'm not upset at him. I firmly believe Green will always be the player to make you p---ed, but cry for joy when he does moments like the dagger game winning three.

I can't tell you how many players in the Celtics I've seen that made me feel that way lol.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
he needs someone to get him the ball in his spots. there's nothing wrong with that. like many have already said if you're disappointed it's because your expectations were too high.

he's just not a guy you can dump the ball into & he's going to get you a basket or some free throws no matter what.

tommy pegged this guy a long time ago. look for him on the fast break, one dribble drives.

it's not even that he isn't aggressive imo it's that he knows his limits.

also about why he hasn't scored 20 in last 8 gm's or whatever...have you seen our offense lately? it's either AB or Crawford, sully has had his opportunities but hasn't been effective because of his height or hand if you want to use that excuse. the offense is just horrible right now imo.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
he needs someone to get him the ball in his spots. there's nothing wrong with that. like many have already said if you're disappointed it's because your expectations were too high.

he's just not a guy you can dump the ball into & he's going to get you a basket or some free throws no matter what.

tommy pegged this guy a long time ago. look for him on the fast break, one dribble drives.

also about why he hasn't scored 20 in last 8 gm's or whatever...have you seen our offense lately? it's either AB or Crawford, sully has had his opportunities but hasn't been effective because of his height or hand if you want to use that excuse. the offense is just horrible right now imo.

Agree. I believe Stevens should give him more opportunities. I believe the offense needs to be changed, and there needs to be more ball movement. AB is shooting like crazy, but at least hes having somewhat of a efficient rate, whereas Crawford has been doing well but he doesn't seem to create the flow of the offense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:20:58 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Agree. I believe Stevens should give him more opportunities. I believe the offense needs to be changed, and there needs to be more ball movement. AB is shooting like crazy, but at least hes having somewhat of a efficient rate, whereas Crawford has been doing well but he doesn't seem to create the flow of the offense.

ever since Crawford won EC player of the week this team has not been the same and neither has Crawford. unfortunately I think the good Crawford might be gone. 

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

ever since Crawford won EC player of the week this team has not been the same and neither has Crawford. unfortunately I think the good Crawford might be gone.

Or we got out of the easy part of our schedule to the hard part.  Probably that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 11:27:54 AM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I think we've learned that Jeff Green is not an A1 kind of player, despite his all around game and athletic ability. Doesn't mean he's junk, but I don't think we're going to see the kind of jump many were hoping for when placed in a lead role.

A PG like Rondo feeding him the ball in the spots where he likes to work should help, will be interesting to see if his numbers improve after the return. Consistency will likely remain an issue though, as it has for much of his career at this point. He's a frustrating talent, but hey he's our frustrating talent.