Author Topic: You Know It Was Coming.... Robinson is a better Starter!  (Read 7870 times)

Re: You Know It Was Coming.... Robinson is a better Starter!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 01:58:56 PM »

Offline paul

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 15
If Nate continues to play like this, and the team dominates like they did against Atlanta, and doesn't lay down like they seem to have done against Toronto, then I'd say Rondo's return to the starting lineup shouldn't be an assumed thing.  Let him rest, and when he comes back, let it be like Perkins.  He'll have to work his way back to being a starter (or not, depending on how things go).  

Rondo's a strange player.  I don't think his assists this season have been a mirage, or smoke and mirrors, and they certainly warrant MVP consideration for him, but he seems to be such a hopeless case as a shooter, and the better he becomes as a passer and floor general, the more this seems to be a problem.  

As for Nate, I hope he keeps playing this way, but it's hard to forget his terrible play earlier in the season.  If he starts cooling off, I wouldn't be slow to push West forward.  

At this point, it might not be such a bad idea for the Celts to send Rondo home for the season, and tell him 'practise shooting until your arms feel like they are falling off'.   I admit, history probably proves me wrong, but really, you just can't be a point guard who shoots worse than Shaq, no matter how brilliant a passer you are ...

... ok, I'm not serious about sending Rondo home, but what a strange season for him this has been!  On one hand, it's been a brilliant statement about his greatness as a point guard, and against him being sent home (or whatever) from the Worlds team.  On the other hand, it has also morphed into a re-affirmation that there was a REASON he was sent home.  The weird thing about athletics is that the better you become, and the more necessary you become to your team, the more opponents will search out your flaws, and Rondo has a gigantic flaw.  

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Rondo is a top 4 PG in this league, Doc has said numerous times as Rondo goes, so go the Celtics, he is absolutely a starter as long as he is healthy
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The better Nate Robinson plays, the more attractive of a trade asset he becomes.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
;D The offense has never looked so good and the c's have never ran so fast. Robinson pushes the ball on just about every posession... Start nate and let Rondo finish!  :P

Yeah the offense looked so much better in Toronto when we were loosing by double digits... Awesome thread dude!

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
;D The offense has never looked so good and the c's have never ran so fast. Robinson pushes the ball on just about every posession... Start nate and let Rondo finish!  :P

Yeah the offense looked so much better in Toronto when we were loosing by double digits... Awesome thread dude!

Two sarcasms don't make a right.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Less Burden on Pierce & Ray.

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 02:23:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If Nate continues to play like this, and the team dominates like they did against Atlanta, and doesn't lay down like they seem to have done against Toronto, then I'd say Rondo's return to the starting lineup shouldn't be an assumed thing.  Let him rest, and when he comes back, let it be like Perkins.  He'll have to work his way back to being a starter (or not, depending on how things go).  

Rondo's a strange player.  I don't think his assists this season have been a mirage, or smoke and mirrors, and they certainly warrant MVP consideration for him, but he seems to be such a hopeless case as a shooter, and the better he becomes as a passer and floor general, the more this seems to be a problem.  

As for Nate, I hope he keeps playing this way, but it's hard to forget his terrible play earlier in the season.  If he starts cooling off, I wouldn't be slow to push West forward.  

At this point, it might not be such a bad idea for the Celts to send Rondo home for the season, and tell him 'practise shooting until your arms feel like they are falling off'.   I admit, history probably proves me wrong, but really, you just can't be a point guard who shoots worse than Shaq, no matter how brilliant a passer you are ...

... ok, I'm not serious about sending Rondo home, but what a strange season for him this has been!  On one hand, it's been a brilliant statement about his greatness as a point guard, and against him being sent home (or whatever) from the Worlds team.  On the other hand, it has also morphed into a re-affirmation that there was a REASON he was sent home.  The weird thing about athletics is that the better you become, and the more necessary you become to your team, the more opponents will search out your flaws, and Rondo has a gigantic flaw.  

Our best player has to work his way back into the lineup? Wow.

Kind of an aside, but it's worth noting that his jump shooting this year is the best of his career and he's hitting better than the average player.

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The better Nate Robinson plays, the more attractive of a trade asset he becomes.

Why would we want to trade him if he's performing that well though?  We'll be missing a backup point and please don't say Delonte, he is not a good ballhandler.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Why would we want to trade him if he's performing that well though?  We'll be missing a backup point and please don't say Delonte, he is not a good ballhandler.

2 thoughts:

1) Lester Hudson just got waived...just sayin'.

2) We need a Shane Battier more than we need a Nate Robinson.

Signing Lester Hudson and getting in on a 3 team trade with the Rockets for Shane Battier, offering Marquis and Nate (both expiring, Nate being useful) to a third partner with the guy the Rockets want...

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 03:01:38 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
This is a joke right?!?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42

I think Rondo got tired of being 1st down the floor.

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
If Nate continues to play like this, and the team dominates like they did against Atlanta, and doesn't lay down like they seem to have done against Toronto, then I'd say Rondo's return to the starting lineup shouldn't be an assumed thing.  Let him rest, and when he comes back, let it be like Perkins.  He'll have to work his way back to being a starter (or not, depending on how things go). 

Rondo's a strange player.  I don't think his assists this season have been a mirage, or smoke and mirrors, and they certainly warrant MVP consideration for him, but he seems to be such a hopeless case as a shooter, and the better he becomes as a passer and floor general, the more this seems to be a problem. 

As for Nate, I hope he keeps playing this way, but it's hard to forget his terrible play earlier in the season.  If he starts cooling off, I wouldn't be slow to push West forward. 

At this point, it might not be such a bad idea for the Celts to send Rondo home for the season, and tell him 'practise shooting until your arms feel like they are falling off'.   I admit, history probably proves me wrong, but really, you just can't be a point guard who shoots worse than Shaq, no matter how brilliant a passer you are ...

... ok, I'm not serious about sending Rondo home, but what a strange season for him this has been!  On one hand, it's been a brilliant statement about his greatness as a point guard, and against him being sent home (or whatever) from the Worlds team.  On the other hand, it has also morphed into a re-affirmation that there was a REASON he was sent home.  The weird thing about athletics is that the better you become, and the more necessary you become to your team, the more opponents will search out your flaws, and Rondo has a gigantic flaw. 

Our best player has to work his way back into the lineup? Wow.

Kind of an aside, but it's worth noting that his jump shooting this year is the best of his career and he's hitting better than the average player.

can you believe some want Rondo for bait? i had a belly laugh over that one. The World has gone mad, mad, mad I tell ya..

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:31 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
As far as importance to the team, I'm pretty sure KG is our most important player, not Rondo.

And as far as minutes go, If Robinson can continue to push the ball like that and keep putting down threes and creating like he did last night (10 assists), I think it goes to show that if you are athletic, you can get your assists on this team, as there is certainly no shortage of guys to pass the ball to.

Split the minutes half and half.

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 08:29:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
As far as importance to the team, I'm pretty sure KG is our most important player, not Rondo.

We wouldn't go too far without either one. Who's more important depends on things like how good their respective backups are, but Rondo's been our best player so far this year.

And as far as minutes go, If Robinson can continue to push the ball like that and keep putting down threes and creating like he did last night (10 assists), I think it goes to show that if you are athletic, you can get your assists on this team, as there is certainly no shortage of guys to pass the ball to.

Split the minutes half and half.

Rondo gets over 2.5 times as many assists per minute as Nate, and about twice as many as Nate has as a starter. Oh, and Nate lets opposing point guards score about 60% more points per minute than Rondo and they hit about 40% more of their shots vs Nate. You might as well split minutes between KG and Baby half and half, or PP and Daniels.

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
can't deny that nate is playing some good basketball. and it allows rondo to get a lot of rest