Author Topic: When does the "window" end?  (Read 8895 times)

Re: When does the "window" end?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd say the Window closes after next year. Thinking we could contend for 10-15 years without adding some amazing talent is just delusional. It takes superstars to win in this league and they aren't easy to come by. I think without the Big 3 and Rondo heading the team we could be a team that makes it to the first or second round.

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 11:12:13 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'd say the Window closes after next year. Thinking we could contend for 10-15 years without adding some amazing talent is just delusional. It takes superstars to win in this league and they aren't easy to come by. I think without the Big 3 and Rondo heading the team we could be a team that makes it to the first or second round.

This is probably the case.  Although the C's will be in a decent position to try to bring in a big talent or two to replace the big 3 as their contracts expire.  Whether they are able to do it...well, no one knows.  But their is the potential to extend the window, which is why Danny is being careful with their cap right now.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 11:16:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
It may have ended in June, if this bench isn't upgraded.

remember last year around this time when everyone was saying the bench would be our downfall and that we needed to add length and experiance?

That's after all the posts that summer when everyone was saying we couldn't go anywhere with Rondo and Perk in the lineup.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 11:20:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
All Im saying is that when god closes a window he opens a door. It might be the basement door of the atlantic division but its a door.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If Danny manages this team properly we can extend our run as an eite team for another 10-15 years. Rondo will become the third best point guard in the league in the near future. Within two years, to be sure. Perk is also a very solid center, who, at least for now, comes to us as a bargain. As long as we resign Rajon and Perk, we will have filled the two most imporant positions on the floor-- center and point guard-- with an all star and a borderline all-star center (I'm speaking of their status as players down the road, obviously).

I think this is probably too optimistic.  First, I think it's doubtful that Rajon will be the third best PG in the NBA; in my mind, he's clearly got a lower ceiling than CP3, Deron, and Rose, and there are several other guys who are on or about Rondo's level.  As for Perk, I don't think he's a centerpiece.  Even if he's a top-10 center, I'm not sure that a borderline all-star and a solid center are enough to make a team a perennial contender, especially when there are basically no other young, proven pieces on this roster.

I think this team's guaranteed window for championship contention is until Ray's contract expires.  After that, the team should remain solid so long as PP and KG are still on the team, but without a third star, I don't think those two alone will be good enough for this team to truly contend.  Danny can extend that window, of course; Ray may resign, or the team could acquire another star.  However, as things stand now, in my mind the window is this year and next.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 11:31:40 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
The key decision Danny has to make is what to do with Ray Allen.  I think Ray either signs a two-year extension after the season (at a lower salary), or he gets traded.  I've wondered about whether Milwaukee would like to get out from under Michael Redd's contract; Ray-for-Redd works straight-up, they shave a year of contract off, Redd slides into Ray's role and should have a few more miles left on him.

As to Perk; he's a borderline All-Star only in the Eastern conference; put him out West, he's middle of the road at best.  He's an average guy, someone to keep around but someone that you're absolutely not going to build around.

Rondo's the other key, if he can continue to develop INTO that consistent All Star that he seems to have the talent to be.  He needs to keep working, to not get complacent; we all know that as goes Rondo goes the team.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 11:36:55 AM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
I know everyone in New York and Cleveland are talking about it, but how can the free agent class of 2010 help us remain a contended for the next 4-5 years after that off season?

Isn't it true that Ray Allen comes off the books during that same off season.  Couldn't you make a splash in the free agent market and possibly sign Allen for low money to come off the bench?
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 11:42:23 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I know everyone in New York and Cleveland are talking about it, but how can the free agent class of 2010 help us remain a contended for the next 4-5 years after that off season?

Isn't it true that Ray Allen comes off the books during that same off season.  Couldn't you make a splash in the free agent market and possibly sign Allen for low money to come off the bench?

even with ray off, were still over the cap.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Not really.  Even though Ray comes off our cap, we still won't have any significant amount of cap room, even if we renounce all of our free agents.  See the answer to Question 13, here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
Thank you Gents for the info.  After reading this forum and looking over the numbers I have a new appreciation of what Danny has to deal with.

Another question, with all the talk of taking and moving draft picks, what do the Celtics have for picks in the near future.  Anything left over from past trades that I may not know about?
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Not really.  Even though Ray comes off our cap, we still won't have any significant amount of cap room, even if we renounce all of our free agents.  See the answer to Question 13, here.

Right.  The real cap room comes when Pierce comes off the cap...conveniently the same summer when Kevin Durant will likely looking to get the hell out of Dodge (or OKC) ;)

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Another question, with all the talk of taking and moving draft picks, what do the Celtics have for picks in the near future.  Anything left over from past trades that I may not know about?

As far as I know, the Celtics have all of their own picks other than this year's #1, which will be going to Minnesota.  I don't think they own any future picks from other teams.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51

Right.  The real cap room comes when Pierce comes off the cap...conveniently the same summer when Kevin Durant will likely looking to get the hell out of Dodge (or OKC) ;)

I wouldn't count on that one. For some reason, I don't think we'll get any stars out of FA.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 12:13:36 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Another thing it takes to have a 10-15 year run is a location that players want to go to. As nice as Boston is to visit, it isn't exactly LA. It isn't endorsement heaven like NY. It isn't Miami or Phoenix with their climate. It wasn't that long ago that KG was saying he didn't want to come to Boston. Ray Allen was TRADED to Boston, so he didn't really choose to come here. I think that we are going to need to trade and draft our way into contention all the time vs. luring big name free agents, so Danny's decisions will have a lot to do with when this window ends. As presently constituted we are a contender for this year and 1-2 more years max.

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
The key decision Danny has to make is what to do with Ray Allen.  I think Ray either signs a two-year extension after the season (at a lower salary), or he gets traded.  I've wondered about whether Milwaukee would like to get out from under Michael Redd's contract; Ray-for-Redd works straight-up, they shave a year of contract off, Redd slides into Ray's role and should have a few more miles left on him.

As to Perk; he's a borderline All-Star only in the Eastern conference; put him out West, he's middle of the road at best.  He's an average guy, someone to keep around but someone that you're absolutely not going to build around.

Rondo's the other key, if he can continue to develop INTO that consistent All Star that he seems to have the talent to be.  He needs to keep working, to not get complacent; we all know that as goes Rondo goes the team.

I agree, and Milwaukee is the one place I wouldnt feel too bad about Ray going, he would be able to end his NBA career where it started and where he holds franchise records and where the fans never really wanted him to leave
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce