Author Topic: Overreacting to the losses?  (Read 4817 times)

Re: Overreacting to the losses?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
There is a lot more to it than not having Posey.  Nobody mentioned Posey when we had that winning streak.  I feel confident that if we were playing playoff games over the last week, we would have been focused and kicked some butt.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 02:31:12 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I'm not concerned by the number of losses as the number of avoidable losses. The Indiana loss is the only one where they were out of it from the beginning but the other ones they could have won with a little more defensive intensity. I think the offense contributed more to the streak and once they get back on the defensive track they should be fine.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I feel like we're not hustling, and thats what worries me most..not the losses.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 03:23:29 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
There is a lot more to it than not having Posey.  Nobody mentioned Posey when we had that winning streak.  I feel confident that if we were playing playoff games over the last week, we would have been focused and kicked some butt.

i agree that it's not all Posey (or having a replacement for him). there are some chemistry things going on...

but the fact that the team started so well is not really proof that we don't really need him (or again, a replacement for him) because the impact of not having Posey was a slowly developing one.

the starters were compensating for lackluster (not horrid) bench play and now they are worn down a bit from carrying so much of the load.

while it's not the whole problem at the moment (and by problem i don't mean season altering or anything like that) it would help having him here or at least someone comparable.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

i agree that it's not all Posey (or having a replacement for him). there are some chemistry things going on...

but the fact that the team started so well is not really proof that we don't really need him (or again, a replacement for him) because the impact of not having Posey was a slowly developing one.

the starters were compensating for lackluster (not horrid) bench play and now they are worn down a bit from carrying so much of the load.

while it's not the whole problem at the moment (and by problem i don't mean season altering or anything like that) it would help having him here or at least someone comparable.

well i think we all agree we need help on the bench, and a backup SF not named scal would be great.

But what i take issue with is this attitude that posey will make or break us. he won't. Now, not having a realible SF/PF off the bench, a big man, and a back up PG doc trusts might, but it won't be for lack of james posey.

the fact that we have a terrable NBA player currently trying to fill his shoes might though.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I am looking back at posts and thoughts I have had since they went through this rough patch and am starting to wonder if I am not just overreacting to what is actually happening here. Let's look at a couple things...

Realistically we should have lost to the Lakers. They are a great team as well and it was in their building on Christmas with us coming across the country. That really didn't surprise me. Golden State did indeed surprise me as I thought we would come out and crush them, but once again we were on the road and it was a back to back.

We responded to these losses by coming and out destroying a poor Kings team and the world is right again. Then we go up to Portland and play against a young hungry team that is very long and athletic that matches up against us well like the Hawks do. Was that loss on their home floor at the end of a tough road trip that surprising? It was a close game and our dead legs started to show at the end. We had some matchup issues with their size...

Then we come home and destroy the Wizards. Another great response. The Knicks did surprise me but they had a couple guys on fire and got some home cooking with the calls which allowed them to pull it out. If it wasn't for some horrible three point shooting by Ray we win this game I think. Even with as bad as we played.

Last year we had bad (unexpected) losses to Philly, Golden State, Toronto, Washington, and Charlotte. We lost 3 out of 4 in Mid January and then 3 in a row in Mid February. So we have had 2 bad losses this year. Is it possible that things aren't near as bad as they seem and this will all be a moot point come playoff time?

Thank you for that perspective, EJ. I feel a lot better now. We should've beaten GS and the Knicks. Portland is a frustrating loss, because that whole team and state seem to have an irrational hate for us, but I guess its understandable that we lost on the road at the end of a long trip.

I still think, though, that this is a sign of bad things to come because every team will continue to gun for us and we need to be prepared to win a lot of games. A lot, lot of game because we will need homecourt advantage.

So while I think your right its not as bad as it seems, this 4 out of 6 stuff is a slippery slope and we need to shore up our bench ASAP.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 04:05:23 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

well i think we all agree we need help on the bench, and a backup SF not named scal would be great.

But what i take issue with is this attitude that posey will make or break us. he won't. Now, not having a realible SF/PF off the bench, a big man, and a back up PG doc trusts might, but it won't be for lack of james posey.

the fact that we have a terrable NBA player currently trying to fill his shoes might though.

honestly, i don't know what will make or break us at this point. it's so hard to tell. I mean, it's a great team.

but i definitely see a hole left by Pose's absence and i think (make or break) we still should fill it.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 04:26:26 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
the break is the backup C position, and the team has lost a little bit of its fire.