Author Topic: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment  (Read 16464 times)

Re: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't want to get accused of insulting other posters so I'll try to keep this as nice as possible.

TradeProposalDude:  You're delusional and/or throwing a fit.  Relax.  

TatteredOnMySleeve: You joined this board last month.  If you're a Celtic fan, you apparently joined the party late.  Anyone who kept up with this team pre-KG couldn't possibly say the nonsense you're saying.  I don't hold it against you.  I'm just saying... I don't respect your opinion.

To anyone who is reading:  We're 29-6 with a .829 win percentage.  Things have a way of evening out.  We won 19 in a row... we dropped 4 of 6.  Either way, it's at the extreme of our good/bad potential.  When the dust settles... you have a defending champion that is currently 29-6 with a .829 win percentage.  We are unquestionably one of only 3 teams with a legit shot at winning the title this year.  We are unquestionably one of the 2 best defenses in the league.  We currently have one of the top records in the league and one of the two best point differentials in the league.  

For reference.  Here are the records of past "Defending champions"

2008 Spurs:  56-26 .683  Lost in West Finals
2007 Heat:  44-38 .537  Lost in First Round
2006 Spurs:  63-19 .768  Lost in West Semi Finals
2005 Piston:  54-28 .659 Lost Finals
2004 Spurs:  57-25 .695  Lost in West Semi Finals
2003 Lakers: 50-32 .610 Lost in West Semi Finals
2002 Lakers: 58-24 .707  CHAMPION
2001 Lakers: 56-26 .683 CHAMPION
2000 Spurs:  53-29 .646 Lost in First Round
1999 Bulls:  13-37 .260 Lotto
1998 Bulls: 62-20 .756  CHAMPION
1997 Bulls: 69-13 .841  CHAMPION
1996 Rockets: 48-34 .585 Lost West Semi Finals

Again... we are currently 29-6 with a .829 win percentage.   At this current pace we'd win 68 games.  That makes us the best regular season defending champion since the 1997 Bulls.   Considering that every team is gunning for us in every single game we play and we've still started off this amazing... you'd have to be mentally ill to call this team a "disappointment".  Coming off one of the greatest seasons in franchise history with one of the greatest defenses in NBA history.  

Sure, our talent isn't perfect.  Our key players are aging.  We currently have one of the top 20 players in the league today and three other guys who are in the top 50.  Our 6th man is gone, we have an incomplete weak bench and our team is obviously tired.  Despite that we're on pace to win more games than we did last year.  Amazing.

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Another thing is that I don't think KG can really control his actions. He kind of blacks out in the moment and lets his instinct completely take over. I love having a guy that is going to give the same effort in a preseason game that he is going to give in the NBA finals.

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 02:41:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Fellas.  The point is... if you were a fan of the Boston Celtics 19 months ago (May 22nd 2007, to be precise), you'd have to be completely ashamed of yourself to sit here today and call this team a "disappointment".

"Disappointment"?   Are you kidding me?  How is this even possible.   This is still unbelievably surreal.

Nitwits 

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Fellas.  The point is... if you were a fan of the Boston Celtics 19 months ago (May 22nd 2007, to be precise), you'd have to be completely ashamed of yourself to sit here today and call this team a "disappointment".

"Disappointment"?   Are you kidding me?  How is this even possible.   This is still unbelievably surreal.

Nitwits 

I already gave ya a TP for the previous post or I'd give you another one. Considering all ive had to sit and suffer through since i started really watching in 99', This team is a godsend.

the over critcizm of this team going on right now is bonkers. We've hit a rough patch, we'll right the ship. Call me when we play subpar for an extended period of time.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Nitwits 

Amen to that. I've read most of this thread just laughing my head off... There were a few good lines in here though...

Constant explosions aside, Gaza is a really nice place to vacation right now.

TP for both of you
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
Wow!   That's all I can say.

I think some of you people need to up your medication.

And yes, KG has always acted this way.  Pull out some Celtics/Twolves games from three or four years ago and check it out.  And no, Bird was far from a saint.  Even his teammates didn't much care for him but winning makes you overlook a lot of crap you otherwise wouldn't stand for.

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
This thread is BS, sorry.

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I will say that i agree with LAR that the team as currently constructed is flawed and needs help (we've discussed what at length in other threads) but the amount of nitpicking and chickenlittlism is alarming.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The OP sounds like someone looking for a magical justification for their losses since he refuses to acknowledge that we might not have the talent advantage that everyone wants to delude themselves into thinking their favorite team has.

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I don't want to get accused of insulting other posters so I'll try to keep this as nice as possible.

TradeProposalDude:  You're delusional and/or throwing a fit.  Relax.  

TatteredOnMySleeve: You joined this board last month.  If you're a Celtic fan, you apparently joined the party late.  Anyone who kept up with this team pre-KG couldn't possibly say the nonsense you're saying.  I don't hold it against you.  I'm just saying... I don't respect your opinion.

To anyone who is reading:  We're 29-6 with a .829 win percentage.  Things have a way of evening out.  We won 19 in a row... we dropped 4 of 6.  Either way, it's at the extreme of our good/bad potential.  When the dust settles... you have a defending champion that is currently 29-6 with a .829 win percentage.  We are unquestionably one of only 3 teams with a legit shot at winning the title this year.  We are unquestionably one of the 2 best defenses in the league.  We currently have one of the top records in the league and one of the two best point differentials in the league.  

For reference.  Here are the records of past "Defending champions"

2008 Spurs:  56-26 .683  Lost in West Finals
2007 Heat:  44-38 .537  Lost in First Round
2006 Spurs:  63-19 .768  Lost in West Semi Finals
2005 Piston:  54-28 .659 Lost Finals
2004 Spurs:  57-25 .695  Lost in West Semi Finals
2003 Lakers: 50-32 .610 Lost in West Semi Finals
2002 Lakers: 58-24 .707  CHAMPION
2001 Lakers: 56-26 .683 CHAMPION
2000 Spurs:  53-29 .646 Lost in First Round
1999 Bulls:  13-37 .260 Lotto
1998 Bulls: 62-20 .756  CHAMPION
1997 Bulls: 69-13 .841  CHAMPION
1996 Rockets: 48-34 .585 Lost West Semi Finals

Again... we are currently 29-6 with a .829 win percentage.   At this current pace we'd win 68 games.  That makes us the best regular season defending champion since the 1997 Bulls.   Considering that every team is gunning for us in every single game we play and we've still started off this amazing... you'd have to be mentally ill to call this team a "disappointment".  Coming off one of the greatest seasons in franchise history with one of the greatest defenses in NBA history.  

Sure, our talent isn't perfect.  Our key players are aging.  We currently have one of the top 20 players in the league today and three other guys who are in the top 50.  Our 6th man is gone, we have an incomplete weak bench and our team is obviously tired.  Despite that we're on pace to win more games than we did last year.  Amazing.

I saw the title of the thread and was going to make this exact post... but now I don't have to. TP for you, LarBrd.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I've watched him since day one, and he's always been crazy out thier on the court, and most guys in the league know its just the way he plays and not personal. But im sorry, to say he's suddenly diffrent and now "looks like he's in the WWE" is not anywhere near acurate. He's the same hyper intense guy that punched out a teamate for dogging it at practice 8 years ago.

The hyper intensity?  Yes.  The chippiness, cockiness, and taunting?  No.

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 04:50:21 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
The title of this thread says it all...

"Championship aside, this team is a disappointment"... so, aside from achieving the highest possible goal in the sport, a dissapointment.  How is that possible?  Did you want them to win two championships in 1 year?

I, for one, would have been rather impressed with this outcome.

Lack of a second championship in 2007-08 aside, I'm on fairly good terms with the nirvana that has accompanied being a Celtics fan since late summer 2007.   ;D

Nitwits 

Amen to that. I've read most of this thread just laughing my head off... There were a few good lines in here though...

Constant explosions aside, Gaza is a really nice place to vacation right now.

TP for both of you

The other two highlights of the thread (along with Schupac's comment quoted above).  Good call, Hoyo.  Well done, fellas - couldn't agree more with maniac and LarBrd on those comments.  TP distribution time for many.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
The title of this thread says it all...

"Championship aside, this team is a disappointment"... so, aside from achieving the highest possible goal in the sport, a dissapointment.  How is that possible?  Did you want them to win two championships in 1 year?

I, for one, would have been rather impressed with this outcome.

Sadly, Chuck Norris was unavailable for trade this year.

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 06:04:54 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
The only thing that has changed it seems to me is the perception of KG by other teams fans and the media because being on a championship team and in Boston brings alot more attention then when he was getting in Minny.