Author Topic: Was Posey that imp.?  (Read 5802 times)

Re: Was Posey that imp.?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
No, he wasn't "That" Important. He only seems that way because we failed to fill the bench with any real solid vets. It's the consistency in play that we're lacking from the bench, as well as the fact that we didn't fill areas of need during the off-season.

During the off-season our needs were a vet point, a big, and 2/3(Posey) for the bench. We settle for House & Cassel as the back-up point, seemed like a mistake back then and still now. We needed a solid vet wing, and we resigned TA who was a reach then and still now. We needed a veteran big we signed POB and opted to wait on PJ's return.

Losing Posey wouldn't have hurt so much if we had improved in other areas.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 01:04:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
No, he wasn't "That" Important. He only seems that way because we failed to fill the bench with any real solid vets. It's the consistency in play that we're lacking from the bench, as well as the fact that we didn't fill areas of need during the off-season.

During the off-season our needs were a vet point, a big, and 2/3(Posey) for the bench. We settle for House & Cassel as the back-up point, seemed like a mistake back then and still now. We needed a solid vet wing, and we resigned TA who was a reach then and still now. We needed a veteran big we signed POB and opted to wait on PJ's return.

Yeah I agree with Manup.  Posey would have been great to have but if we had made another helpful addition we wouldn't notice Posey's absence quite as much.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah I agree with Manup.  Posey would have been great to have but if we had made another helpful addition we wouldn't notice Posey's absence quite as much.

Why talking in the past tense?  It is only the beginning of January, there is still plenty of time to pick up another player or two.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I saw Posey play in Portland the other night. On many occasions I said to myself, "Man, I miss that guy." He was the difference maker for the Hornets against the Blazers.

Yes, Posey was that important. And having seen him live the other night, there's no question he would have been just as valuable this year. But I agree with the logic that suggests he's going to drop off a lot in the next couple of years. 4 years would have been way too much. We miss Posey now, but we'll be happy not to be saddled by his contract a few years down the road.

Posey has been the difference maker every single time I've watched the Hornets win a game this season, and as far  as "dropping off" he actually looks fresh and maybe even better than last season...What are the "big 3" not gonna drop off? they're gonna be practically done after this season and losing Posey and expecting dufus TA to take that spot lowers the chances for them to get another ring significantly
Well, clearly Ainge was faced with the dilemma of short term vs. long term with Posey. Sure, in the short term (i.e., this year), we would be better off with Posey. But 2-3 years from now, he probably would have hurt Ainge's ability to re-load.

Given the progress of Rondo and Perkins, it still seems like a reasonable business decision to have let Posey walk and assume we could fill some of the void. To this point, the void is still there, but there's still time.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Why talking in the past tense?  It is only the beginning of January, there is still plenty of time to pick up another player or two.
talking in the present tense.  We are struggling right now, and the new additions that Ainge added are O'Bryant and two D-leaguers.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 02:00:15 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
With losing 4 out of our last 6, this question was bound to come up.

While Posey was HUGE for us last year, especially down the stretch, and I'll always be a big fan no matter where he is, we're making James Posey out to be the pure one and only difference maker on this team last year.

No disrespect to Posey whatsoever, but here's how I see it...if New Orleans goes on to win the title this year, THEN we can say we made a mistake by not resigning him and he really was that important to us.  If the Hornets however do not win the title, then it shows that Posey, while important, wasn't a make or break point of this team.

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Yep.  And now that I think about it, I really expected Leon to to make another stride forward this year and pick up some of the slack for the second unit, but unfortunately that really hasn't been the case.  Also, House hasn't been very good this year either.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Yep.  And now that I think about it, I really expected Leon to to make another stride forward this year and pick up some of the slack for the second unit, but unfortunately that really hasn't been the case.  Also, House hasn't been very good this year either.
I was expecting the same thing from Leon this season...its not to late.

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 02:33:06 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
I noticed this team is falling apart in ways.They just don't seem to be motivated or did Posey mean more to this team than stats?At this time last season the only person missing from the team is Posey and we had more team chemistry.Maybe the hugs,Ubuntu went when Posey left?

Last year Paul and Ray and Kevin were like HS kids being given the keys to a Ferrari. Being able to blow teams out was new and exciting and loads of fun. Now they are more like the Spurs, using the regular season to get ready for the playoffs.

There's probably some truth to that but im more concerned about bench play at this time.Or should i say the spark the bench did provide last season is missing this season.I know D.Ainge will eventually make some moves on adding a player or two but i hope its someone who has some leadership skills to go with their playing skills.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 02:43:12 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
I saw Posey play in Portland the other night. On many occasions I said to myself, "Man, I miss that guy." He was the difference maker for the Hornets against the Blazers.

Yes, Posey was that important. And having seen him live the other night, there's no question he would have been just as valuable this year. But I agree with the logic that suggests he's going to drop off a lot in the next couple of years. 4 years would have been way too much. We miss Posey now, but we'll be happy not to be saddled by his contract a few years down the road.
Hoops i know what you saying,i have watched a good amount of the Hornets games this season and if it wasn't for Posey in at least 7-8 of them they would have lost the game.The Hornets didn't get off to a good start this season,whereas Posey help save some of the games they would have lost for sure.I heard him say in a postgame interview when asked how is his role different from it in Boston.He said he is getting more minutes in NO and it allows him to get into a better rhythm quicker.I miss the guy but i did accept the fact that we had to do what we had to do.I never thought one player carried so much weight,especially a role player until i see how things are going with this bench now.tp to you.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 02:46:54 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
During the skid, we miss him.
During the win streak, we missed him.
During the playoffs, we'll miss him.

I don't think there's any point in beating around the bush; without the combination of Pose and PJ (and to a lesser extent Cassell), we wouldn't have won the Championship. This year, we're without those guys and unless Danny pulls something out of the bag - I'm sure he will - then I don't see banner 18 coming.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 02:47:55 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
posey's loss means that everyone on the bench is pushed into a different role this year.  it's like everyone is one role out of sync.

but what concerns me more is the confidence issue...posey was a stabilizing type of guy.  i'm not sure if anyone on the bench brings that kind of attitude.

sure, scalabrine hustles...but he has not game, and his words don't carry that much weight.  eddie house yaps a lot, but when he goes, say, 0-7 from the field he becomes a part of the problem too.

seems funny, but i never recall posey having a bad game or his presence not making a difference in some way.  our current bench doesn't have that.

and if you think that one guy is no big deal, consider the '87 celtics and the loss of bill walton...it cost us another title (bias' loss was bigger in the long run, but walton's loss was huge in that one year alone).
I agree with what you said here.tp to your post.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We're on pace to win more games than last year.  So who knows

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
posey's loss means that everyone on the bench is pushed into a different role this year.  it's like everyone is one role out of sync.

Exactly my thoughts, TP.

Leon Powe is the best example for this, imo. Last year, he played much more with the starters, and profited from all the open looks and double-teams for the three amigos.
This season, he`s apparently "promoted" to bench leader/scorer, and BBD took his job as complementary hustle-player for the starting five. While Baby´s performance compared to last season has improved, it doesn´t make up for Leon´s decline (read: lack of consistency) in the new role.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Posey was very important but I don't dissagree with Danny's decision not to overpay.  In a way, I am glad that the C's are in a slump now so that Danny will be forced to address their weaknesses.  As opposed to last year when our slumping began when the playoffs started.
agreed, we could have used posey this year but the contract just would have been bad bball
I'm for: Leon, let Davis sit he isn't do any good
Need a big sure Davis for c minutes but give some to Obie
Walker call him up, this guy has the killer instict we need for the 2nd unit
I'd be going after Joe Smith but not sure what we have to move, Davis, TA, House (sam?) doesn't add up to that much
Again its a long season, yes we lost to NY! But we have enough vets AND this is supposed to be docs strong pt.  These losses are more a mental adjustment and dings than something major.