Author Topic: Was Posey that imp.?  (Read 5803 times)

Was Posey that imp.?
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:57:38 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I noticed this team is falling apart in ways.They just don't seem to be motivated or did Posey mean more to this team than stats?At this time last season the only person missing from the team is Posey and we had more team chemistry.Maybe the hugs,Ubuntu went when Posey left?

Re: Was Posey that imp.?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:08:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Posey was incredibly important to this team on the court.  The fact that Tony Allen is playing in place of him now is making a difference.  And yeah, the bench could use some more toughness.  However, I want to point out that last years team, that had James Posey, also had some very similar skids to the one they are currently on.  This skid in particular really reminds me a lot of the three game losing streak they had (which included back to back losses to Washington). 

To me, this team looks incredibly tired and beaten up...which is not surprising when you look at their schedule so far this season.

Teams have slumps like this.  It is just how the NBA is.  Now the question is, who will step up to help pull them out of it?

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Posey was very important. However i consider Danny made the right choice back in time. The problem is that he left a void that Danny hasn't been able to fill. Tony isn't Posey, and we need him. I am still surprised we chose Giddens in the draft...unless we are planning to trade TA and someone else for a SF...just wondering

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Posey was that important to the team! He made all the right plays at exactly the right times. He defended the other teams best player often, came up with the big rebound, took the charge and supplied the leadership currently lacking, especially with the second unit. If it was just the last year of the contract that was the issue then it was a huge, huge mistake to not resign him. Granted, had Danny signed another quality player to make up for Poseys loss then it would not have been so bad. But, that hasnt happened as yet and it may cost us a title. An extra year of 4-6 million would have been well worth it for another title. If, however, Danny comes up very big next summer or the following then the loss may have been worth it.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:43:55 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Posey was that important to the team! He made all the right plays at exactly the right times. He defended the other teams best player often, came up with the big rebound, took the charge and supplied the leadership currently lacking, especially with the second unit. If it was just the last year of the contract that was the issue then it was a huge, huge mistake to not resign him. Granted, had Danny signed another quality player to make up for Poseys loss then it would not have been so bad. But, that hasnt happened as yet and it may cost us a title. An extra year of 4-6 million would have been well worth it for another title. If, however, Danny comes up very big next summer or the following then the loss may have been worth it.

Well, if you believe Danny, he didn't want to give him the 3rd year either.  He only grudgingly gave in on that one.  Clearly he thought Posey only had another good year or two left in him.  But yeah, it is still early, and there is plenty of time to make a move.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Posey was very important but I don't dissagree with Danny's decision not to overpay.  In a way, I am glad that the C's are in a slump now so that Danny will be forced to address their weaknesses.  As opposed to last year when our slumping began when the playoffs started.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:28:33 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
posey's loss means that everyone on the bench is pushed into a different role this year.  it's like everyone is one role out of sync.

but what concerns me more is the confidence issue...posey was a stabilizing type of guy.  i'm not sure if anyone on the bench brings that kind of attitude.

sure, scalabrine hustles...but he has not game, and his words don't carry that much weight.  eddie house yaps a lot, but when he goes, say, 0-7 from the field he becomes a part of the problem too.

seems funny, but i never recall posey having a bad game or his presence not making a difference in some way.  our current bench doesn't have that.

and if you think that one guy is no big deal, consider the '87 celtics and the loss of bill walton...it cost us another title (bias' loss was bigger in the long run, but walton's loss was huge in that one year alone).
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Yes he was, on and off the court, he was very very important to last years team, and  you couldnt possibly find a better backup for Paul Pierce...He made everyone calm and he himself was never nervous or rattled, he just made plays, whatever it was that we needed, he delivered.
People need to stop saying that last years team with posey had stretches like this, because it was alot different than what we are seeing now, first of all I dont remember a stretch this bad last year..1 stretch where we lost 3 games in a row to legitamate teams out west isnt the same as losing to this years warriors, a blazers team without brandon roy and now New York in the type of fashion we are doing it..we didnt lose a game by double digits last season until that Utah game at home and the chemistry never seemed to crubmle like it is now.
Tony allen "replacing" PoZ is an epic joke, tony allen is a dufus.
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:58:47 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Didn't we go on a skid where we lost to Washington twice, and then the Bobcats were mixed in there? That to me is worse than losing @ LA, @ NY, @ Port, and @ GS.

I agree with Chris. This team looks tired and beaten up already. Our main guys are 30+, they played into June and have played a few more games than everybody else in the league. They are also getting the other team's best shot night in and night out. This team hasn't really coasted either. It seems as if they really do circle most of the games on the schedule.

The good news is that once you make it into the playoffs you get a ton of rest in between games. This will be important so that our stars will get 38+ minutes a night and the bench plays a lesser role.

I have said this in the past, but you don't know if Danny even had the OK to sign Posey for a 4th year. Will we still even be contending by that year? That's an awful lot of money to be paying a role player that is 35. Danny took two wings as an insurance policy in the draft, and we don't know how they are yet. I think it's time to give one of them a shot with the big boys. Tony Allen hasn't been the same since he tweaked his ankle.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Posey was very important but I don't dissagree with Danny's decision not to overpay.  In a way, I am glad that the C's are in a slump now so that Danny will be forced to address their weaknesses.  As opposed to last year when our slumping began when the playoffs started.

I don't think this slump will have any impact on Danny making moves.  He has known this team's weaknesses for a while now, and nothing has really changed.  Perhaps (although I am doubtful) this may give him a little motivation to make a move sooner rather than later, but I really think any move that is made, was being planned well before this little slide.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 10:54:26 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Simple answer- Yes.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 11:22:40 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I saw Posey play in Portland the other night. On many occasions I said to myself, "Man, I miss that guy." He was the difference maker for the Hornets against the Blazers.

Yes, Posey was that important. And having seen him live the other night, there's no question he would have been just as valuable this year. But I agree with the logic that suggests he's going to drop off a lot in the next couple of years. 4 years would have been way too much. We miss Posey now, but we'll be happy not to be saddled by his contract a few years down the road.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
He was the difference maker for the Hornets against the Blazers.

bingo!!  we don't have one of those right now...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 11:40:25 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I saw Posey play in Portland the other night. On many occasions I said to myself, "Man, I miss that guy." He was the difference maker for the Hornets against the Blazers.

Yes, Posey was that important. And having seen him live the other night, there's no question he would have been just as valuable this year. But I agree with the logic that suggests he's going to drop off a lot in the next couple of years. 4 years would have been way too much. We miss Posey now, but we'll be happy not to be saddled by his contract a few years down the road.

Posey has been the difference maker every single time I've watched the Hornets win a game this season, and as far  as "dropping off" he actually looks fresh and maybe even better than last season...What are the "big 3" not gonna drop off? they're gonna be practically done after this season and losing Posey and expecting dufus TA to take that spot lowers the chances for them to get another ring significantly
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I noticed this team is falling apart in ways.They just don't seem to be motivated or did Posey mean more to this team than stats?At this time last season the only person missing from the team is Posey and we had more team chemistry.Maybe the hugs,Ubuntu went when Posey left?

Last year Paul and Ray and Kevin were like HS kids being given the keys to a Ferrari. Being able to blow teams out was new and exciting and loads of fun. Now they are more like the Spurs, using the regular season to get ready for the playoffs.