Author Topic: KG Schooling Patty  (Read 22630 times)

Re: KG Schooling Patty
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
i really want patty to just start playing extended minutes so we can really see what he can do.

I agree, throw him in at the last 5 mins in the first quarter. He'll get a few mins with teh starters and about a minute or two with the bench. If we can see this a few times and he's still underperforming then we know what we have, and what we need to do.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 02:41:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
For those of you who say POB sucks or is lazy, I would like to know, based on what?  Is it enough to rely on Doc's decision not to play him? Doc is human, he makes mistakes. Look how long it took him to give Ryan Gomes minutes his rookie year.  And witness the lack of playing time for Pruitt.  Every time I see POB on the floor, I see a guy who is trying hard, is hustling. He is a 7 footer, and can't be expected to be as fleet of foot as Rondo.  The guy hustles, he makes plays. Yes, he makes lots of mistakes, but so did Perk his first 4 years in the league. 

He is not KG, no one but KG is KG.  He is POB. As long as he shows me hustle, and talent (the guy has a very good shooting touch for a seven footer, and a nice sweeping hook shot), I say let's continue to develop him. If Doc weren't so focused on getting the best record, and rather focused on developing the team to become stronger, I believe that POB would be getting more minutes right now.

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 03:18:29 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
For those of you who say POB sucks or is lazy, I would like to know, based on what?

I second, third, and fourth that motion.  No rookie (which is essentially what O'Bryant is) has ever played the first half of the season under Rivers no matter how good he is.  (Poster child:  Was there ever any doubt that Rondo was a better choice than Telfair?) 

People expect O'Bryant to play like a superstar because he's 7-feet tall.  Fans in my era believed the same thing about my namesake because he replaced Russell and he was taller.  Doesn't necessarily work that way.

Hank Finkel wasn't lazy.  I doubt O'Bryant is either.  He's learning the game.

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
For those of you who say POB sucks or is lazy, I would like to know, based on what?

I second, third, and fourth that motion.  No rookie (which is essentially what O'Bryant is) has ever played the first half of the season under Rivers no matter how good he is. 

Don Nelson, Chris Mullin, and Doc have all said POB is lazy.  For three years, a 7-footer with some modicum of offensive talent has sat on the bench for two different teams that desperately needed a pivot.

Now, it could be that both the Warriors and the Celtics have something personal against POB, or it could be that he's a lazy waste of space who doesn't put in the work necessary to maximize his talent.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 03:35:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I second, third, and fourth that motion.  No rookie (which is essentially what O'Bryant is) has ever played the first half of the season under Rivers no matter how good he is. 

Don Nelson, Chris Mullin, and Doc have all said POB is lazy.  For three years, a 7-footer with some modicum of offensive talent has sat on the bench for two different teams that desperately needed a pivot.

Now, it could be that both the Warriors and the Celtics have something personal against POB, or it could be that he's a lazy waste of space who doesn't put in the work necessary to maximize his talent.
LOL TP4U Roy!!

But please don't hold anything back. Tell us what you really think of O'Bryant. LOL.

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Fair enough.  Still results in the same thing though.  He should be riding the pine until he is able to maintain his position in the post, and make the proper defensive rotations.

I don't care if it is because he is lazy, or still learning.  I have seen a guy who doesn't know what he is doing, and is too weak to be effective in non-garbage time.

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Is he? Or is he being taught the game without learning anything so far? Here we have a player who still don't know how to pivot off a backscreen or, for that matter, to set the pick with the proper angle. Yet, he was coached by one of the finest teachers of the game in Jim Les and was in college for 2 seasons. Then he played for another coach with a great story of bringing out untapped potential, whatever people may say. He played in the D-League and he didn't do very well. He has been working with Clifford Ray, one of the most accomplished big men coach in the game, for months. As of now, he has the privilege of working daily immersed on a winning environment and with a team lead by 3 HoFers with great work ethic and a superb coaching staff. Honestly, why is it taking so long? Why is this guy still so behind from a fundamentals perspective? If he isn't lazy, if he's got the physical tools and if he's talented, what's wrong with him? Why can't he protect a ball after a rebound handling it properly? Shouldn't he master that by now? I believe he's learning, but when will he show the fruits of his hard-work then?

Also, for how long will POB be "essentially a rookie"?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 04:42:14 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2009, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i really want patty to just start playing extended minutes so we can really see what he can do.

I agree, throw him in at the last 5 mins in the first quarter. He'll get a few mins with teh starters and about a minute or two with the bench. If we can see this a few times and he's still underperforming then we know what we have, and what we need to do.

he's looked very good to me in the garbage time he's received. plus he can hit that high post jumper... made a few hook shots...

Become Legendary.

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Let's stop this now.

POB is not a rookie. 

He is on his second contract and second team.

The team needs a backup C that can step on the floor. 

Not a guy that everyone has become frustrated with because of a lack of work effort. 

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 08:45:27 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The Bradley people think he's lazy, too.

That's at least six years of lazy, fellas.

But, of course, they're all wrong and Doc should roll him out there and turn the NBA loose on him. That's just absurd. It's time to get your arms around the fact that Ainge makes mistakes, and this is one of them.

We need a "shaking head sadly" emoticon.

The guy didn't pan out. He needs to be cut.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2009, 09:39:19 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
He's the age of a lot of college seniors, centers generally take longer to develop, and since body mass is one of his weaknesses that may well apply especially to him. 

That doesn't mean he'll succeed in the NBA--but that does mean those who are advocating patience do have some basis for their position.

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2009, 11:44:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tommy Heinsohn sure seems to like him.  I agree with Tommy: We need to get the kid in the second unit, so that we have more size. It is that simple.

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2009, 11:48:51 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I don't recall Doc or anyone on the Celtics ever saying POB was lazy. I do remember Doc saying there was Patrick speed, and then there was Celtics speed and that POB was not yet at that higher speed. That's different from being lazy though.

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
buy him out. Half his contract just to disappear. The kid has no heart. Lets bring back that Esteban guy from last year. He played pf right?