Author Topic: KG Schooling Patty  (Read 22683 times)

Re: KG Schooling Patty
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 09:10:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This just isn't going to get it done because if at this stage of his development POB doesn't get how important a first step is, he's just not going to grasp all the more complicated stuff that he will need to learn to get better.

If it has come down to a basketball maniac like KG having to get in this kid's face about his game, then the cause is already lost.

I think he's done the same with Powe and Davis. Is their cause already lost?

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This just isn't going to get it done because if at this stage of his development POB doesn't get how important a first step is, he's just not going to grasp all the more complicated stuff that he will need to learn to get better.

If it has come down to a basketball maniac like KG having to get in this kid's face about his game, then the cause is already lost.

But they have shown they can do in the NBA.  They just needed a kick in the rear to get back on their game.

POB has never shown a game in the NBA.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 10:46:51 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
 >:(

These are all players with very unique gifts and abilities that Danny has picked up cheap precisely because of their well known weaknesses. I don't care if it is size or too much muscle/fat or not enough muscle. A talk from KG is not going to help BBD grow 3 inches and lose 40 lbs. POB and BBD have been fairly consistent. What is harder to figure is Powe's ups and downs. Is it all match ups or is he struggling?

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

But they have shown they can do in the NBA.  They just needed a kick in the rear to get back on their game.

In other words, KG getting in their face isn't a sign of whether they can play or not. Which is what I said.

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

These are all players with very unique gifts and abilities that Danny has picked up cheap precisely because of their well known weaknesses. I don't care if it is size or too much muscle/fat or not enough muscle. A talk from KG is not going to help BBD grow 3 inches and lose 40 lbs. POB and BBD have been fairly consistent. What is harder to figure is Powe's ups and downs. Is it all match ups or is he struggling?

Since when isn't Power up an down? I know he's a fan favorite and everything, but hes really not that talented.
But yeah, I think other teams realize who he is now more than anything
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

First off let's not compare POB to Baby. Baby hustles his ass off. He obviously works on his game as judged by his 15 to 18 foot jump shot that is starting to go down with consistency. He is a good one on one defender considering he is mostly guarding guys who are 4-5 inches taller than he is and he boxes out better than most of the other big men on this team. He is a very good passer, has good court vision, can handle the ball fairly well for a man his size, and even though he has way too much fat on his frame, he almost never gets beaten down floor by players in better shape.

BBD is ten times the player that I have seen from POB. And recently, he must be doing something right because he's been getting a bit more run than Powe, a player I think is probably more developed in his game than BBD right now.

Also, Danny didn't pick up Powe and Davis because they were cheap and had well known weaknesses. He picked Powe up in the second round because he fell because other teams and scouts were worried he wouldn't recover from his leg injury. BBD dropped into the second round because of his weight. But how about you go ask some of the teams that passed on him and drafted stiffs like Acie Law, Corey Brewer, Sean Williams, Jarvis Crittendon, Jason Smith, Morris Almond, and Alando Tucker, if they would trade their player drafted that year one up for Big Baby right now and see what they would say. Some might say no but I think most would agree that Baby is the much better player right now.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 11:26:35 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

Powe never bothers me if he has a bad game. If he's not putting up alot of points in a game, he makes up for it with rebounding and taking charges. The last few games though its the ENTIRE team which has been bad (the who's fault is it argument is a mess right now). But BBD or Powe? Clearly take Powe anyday.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

In other words, KG getting in their face isn't a sign of whether they can play or not. Which is what I said.

Yeah, to be honest, I have assumed that KG had outbursts like this pretty regularly at practices. 

POB has a lot to learn, and really is nowhere close to being an NBA player...but it certainly doesn't take KG deciding to give him some 1 on 1 help to tell me that.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 11:39:09 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

If Davis loses 40lbs he'll be out of the league.  His bulk is the only thing that keeps him able to compete at his height.

Gee, do you think that Garnett flaring up at the King of Lazy will slow down any of the "POB needs minutes" crowd?

Maybe for a week.

Harder for them to blame Doc though.

After watching Garnett in the Portland game, maybe it's time Garnett practices what he preaches instead of running his mouth.  Some teams actually have length with skill sets.  In those games, Garnett needs to compete inside on both ends of the court.  He played like a 2-guard scared of contact.

O'Bryant doesn't need to work on his 18ft jumper.  O'Bryant doesn't need to work on his yapping or clapping his hands harrassing point guards.  If O'Bryant watched the Portland game, Garnett taught him how not to play inside as Portland's rookie and his backup torched us inside. 

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 12:28:16 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

If Davis loses 40lbs he'll be out of the league.  His bulk is the only thing that keeps him able to compete at his height.

Gee, do you think that Garnett flaring up at the King of Lazy will slow down any of the "POB needs minutes" crowd?

Maybe for a week.

After watching Garnett in the Portland game, maybe it's time Garnett practices what he preaches instead of running his mouth.  Some teams actually have length with skill sets.  In those games, Garnett needs to compete inside on both ends of the court.  He played like a 2-guard scared of contact.

O'Bryant doesn't need to work on his 18ft jumper.  O'Bryant doesn't need to work on his yapping or clapping his hands harrassing point guards.  If O'Bryant watched the Portland game, Garnett taught him how not to play inside as Portland's rookie and his backup torched us inside. 

I don't think KG was teaching him how to take jumpers. Did you read the links from the papers?

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 12:29:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Maybe for a week.

I don't think KG was teaching him how to take jumpers. Did you read the links from the papers?

I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic, since KG did not look like such a tough guy against Portland (when he looked completely gassed to me).

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
He didn't look gassed to me.  He looked soft.  For somebody who's played so few minutes this season with his work ethic, it'd be real scary if he was gassed at this time of season.  Garnett needs to recognize that he has to bang when necessary.  Perk, Davis, and Powe were pretty much  alone competing against Aldridge, Oden, and Pryzbilla while our tallest and highest paid player was hanging outside the paint.

Just sayin' Garnett needs to lead by example in addition to teaching.  His yapping is just as contagious as his boundless energy.  So is his softness when things get tough inside.

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
He didn't look gassed to me.  He looked soft.  For somebody who's played so few minutes this season with his work ethic, it'd be real scary if he was gassed at this time of season.  Garnett needs to recognize that he has to bang when necessary.  Perk, Davis, and Powe were pretty much  alone competing against Aldridge, Oden, and Pryzbilla while our tallest and highest paid player was hanging outside the paint.

Just sayin' Garnett needs to lead by example in addition to teaching.  His yapping is just as contagious as his boundless energy.  So is his softness when things get tough inside.

He has been in the league 14 years. That is the reason he is playing less and he has played in over 1000 games.   Highest played and most tread on his tires. Didn't realize you get paid more by the amount of time you bang inside.  KG has been in the league a long time I think he can impart some wisdom on the younger players
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 01:55:26 PM by NoraG1 »

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i really want patty to just start playing extended minutes so we can really see what he can do.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 01:56:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
i really want patty to just start playing extended minutes so we can really see what he can do.

I understand that, but you have to understand the fact that Doc knows a whole hell of a lot more about what he can do than we do, right?  Doc's job is not to prove to the fans that he made the right choice by benching POB, his job is to win games.