Author Topic: KG Schooling Patty  (Read 22665 times)

KG Schooling Patty
« on: January 01, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
http://redsarmy.wordpress.com/2009/01/01/garnett-schools-patrick-obryant/

Patrick O’Bryant’s name has come up a lot lately… and it hasn’t been good. The Celtics need a 7 footer to come off the bench, and he’s nowhere near ready to help. It’s frustrating for us. And it’s frustrating to Kevin Garnett too.

Word from practice is that KG took POB aside after practice and worked him over. It was an intense… emphasis on INTENSE… one-on-one session. Garnett did everything from explain how a first step taken in a certain way will work… to getting up in O’Bryant’s face to “explain” things. Afterwards, KG explained that he’s sick and his leg hurts… but he’s there… in practice… and making sure guys like POB get the lessons he got when he was a young baller.

I’m sure this will be a focus of some media reports tomorrow… because these guys did nothing to hide what was going on. It was so nuts, that the people who were watching, were watching in awe.

This was extremely interesting to hear. My first thought was that I'm so glad we have KG on the team. This is something I think even Pierce wouldn't do.

Become Legendary.

Re: KG Schooling Patty
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This is exactly what POB needs, and one day he is either going to say I am so glad KG pulled me aside and straightened me out or I sure wish I had listened to KG back then.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
zero, TP for u for this great find.

is there any hope for POB?  first nellie, then doc, now kg.......if he doesnt "get it" now, he may never

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:53:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Gee, do you think that Garnett flaring up at the King of Lazy will slow down any of the "POB needs minutes" crowd?
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:02:58 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
To paraphrase Jim Morrison,

This is the end
Patrick O'Bryant
This is the end
Patrick O'Bryant, the end

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:13:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Gee, do you think that Garnett flaring up at the King of Lazy will slow down any of the "POB needs minutes" crowd?

Maybe for a week.

Harder for them to blame Doc though.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 12:19:17 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 12:24:31 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This just isn't going to get it done because if at this stage of his development POB doesn't get how important a first step is, he's just not going to grasp all the more complicated stuff that he will need to learn to get better.

If it has come down to a basketball maniac like KG having to get in this kid's face about his game, then the cause is already lost. It should never have had to come to that. Save Doc some hair on his head Danny and release this kid now. It was a horrible move. Time to go in another direction.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 03:20:28 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
This is exactly what POB needs, and one day he is either going to say I am so glad KG pulled me aside and straightened me out or I sure wish I had listened to KG back then.

I agree with you I think someone needed to get into POB.  I don't see why people are seeing this as a bad thing.  When I was a sophomore on varsity we had a really intense player that was a senior.  We were suppose to win our conference that year and I was the youngest kid on varsity and we were like 1-3 early on and then one of our forwards got hurt and this kid totally ripped me a new one after practice one day.  I took it as I needed to work harder and step up and I did.  Point is POB can take this two ways, he can either stay the same, or he can finally wake up and use some of his talent.  I'm hoping for the later one because I think he's got the talent.   

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 05:13:43 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i dont think everyone realizes that the C's are treating POB basically as a rookie. If a rookie has issues like this do you just cut him? No. the kid has potential, i think this could be the beginning of POB not necesarily the end of him. give the kid a break he's played a total of 274 minutes in the NBA.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 06:33:40 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I think KG is basically sending Patrick this message: "it's your chance, no Mutombo or PJ...if you want to contribute this is your moment to prove it."

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 07:41:23 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
http://redsarmy.wordpress.com/2009/01/01/garnett-schools-patrick-obryant/

Patrick O’Bryant’s name has come up a lot lately… and it hasn’t been good. The Celtics need a 7 footer to come off the bench, and he’s nowhere near ready to help. It’s frustrating for us. And it’s frustrating to Kevin Garnett too.

Word from practice is that KG took POB aside after practice and worked him over. It was an intense… emphasis on INTENSE… one-on-one session. Garnett did everything from explain how a first step taken in a certain way will work… to getting up in O’Bryant’s face to “explain” things. Afterwards, KG explained that he’s sick and his leg hurts… but he’s there… in practice… and making sure guys like POB get the lessons he got when he was a young baller.

I’m sure this will be a focus of some media reports tomorrow… because these guys did nothing to hide what was going on. It was so nuts, that the people who were watching, were watching in awe.

This was extremely interesting to hear. My first thought was that I'm so glad we have KG on the team. This is something I think even Pierce wouldn't do.

Actually, Pierce tried to take Gerald Green under his wing, but Gerald still thought too much of himself. :-\

I hope POB gets his chance and he gets it done in the end... we need him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 07:52:18 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Kevin Garnett > Bobby Knight if he can pull this off.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:07:43 AM by cordobes »

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
What worries me is that after six months with the team KG's having to tutor him in being aggressive by getting him to understand what that feels like.  That's pretty much how Helen Keller was taught to speak, wasn't it?  It really seems to suggest that Clifford Ray hasn't got through to him on it at all. 

Wouldn't you think POB could just go overboard on aggression until he gets it under control?  We see him being very active when he plays, and getting pushed away by bigger, stronger guys under the basket, but not really putting up the good fight against those bigger guys.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
i dont think everyone realizes that the C's are treating POB basically as a rookie. If a rookie has issues like this do you just cut him? No. the kid has potential, i think this could be the beginning of POB not necesarily the end of him. give the kid a break he's played a total of 274 minutes in the NBA.

But he is not a rookie.

There is no long term connection. 

He is a NBA player on his second contract.  His job is to be ready to play.  Sounds like that is not happening. 

Celtics need to upgrade his roster spot.