Author Topic: Lobel Let Go From WBZ  (Read 22092 times)

Lobel Let Go From WBZ
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:40:53 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
IT'S TRULY A SAD DAY IN BOSTON SPORTS

WBZ has let Legendary Sports Anchor Bob Lobel go. 

Say what you want about his perceived off air issues, Bob Lobel is literally the greatest Sports Anchor this town has ever seen.  He completely changed the way sports was covered.

Here's hoping he lands somewhere quick.

What a shame.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:31:25 AM by Redz »
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

Re: Lobel let go from WBZ
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:55:50 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

IT'S TRULY A SAD DAY IN BOSTON SPORTS

WBZ has let Legendary Sports Anchor Bob Lobel go. 

Say what you want about his perceived off air issues, Bob Lobel is literally the greatest Sports Anchor this town has ever seen.  He completely changed the way sports was covered.

Here's hoping he lands somewhere quick.

What a shame.

I don't know anything about Lobel's off-camera issues, and maybe he was good at one point, but the guy has been just plain awful as long as I've seen him.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
He was definitely a lightning rod for critics but Lobel was still a Boston sports media legend.  I grew up watching him, Lynch, and Dennis do sports in this town.  Lobel seemed to have "lost his fastball" in recent years and the rise of the internet surely didn't help his cause or the way local news is done. 

Lobel's interview with Orr, Bird, and Williams is still one of the all-time best Boston tv moments.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 09:01:43 AM »

Offline lefty12

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
lobie had a great run...
now he can chase the dimples whenever he wants...
dont give him any strokes!

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Not trying to bash the guy, but a couple of times during the Red Sox season last year, I could have sworn he was drunk or high, at least he looked like it to me.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 09:29:13 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Jack & Liz must be heartbroken.

Remember the days when the quickest way to get sports results was to wait up for the 11 o'clock news? 

I can't remember the last time I watched the local sports news, there are so many other quicker, better, more in depth ways to get filled in now.  That said, Lobel was the ringleader of a pretty fun 3-ring circus of sports news in Boston for many years.

Yup

Re: Lobel Let Go From WBZ
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 10:02:32 AM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
I really liked Lobel in past years, but he's been pretty bad lately. He's also extremely overpaid. It's been kind of embarrassing to see him on camera so often in an apparently impaired state. I really hope he can clean up his act, for his own sake if not for his career.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21

i think jackie M is leaving the globe too.
i really like her articles, and enjoy what she has to say when she is on around the horn.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 11:34:45 AM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
I definitely saw him a couple times and thought he was either drunk or on medication. 

No knock on him... cuz I do remember the days before ESPN when that was the best sports coverage.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
i DID think he did an OK Job. I D-I-D did.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 12:34:29 PM »

Offline WillyBeamin

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • Celtic Pride

i really like her articles, and enjoy what she has to say when she is on around the horn.

Where did you hear Jackie was leaving the globe?? I would be pretty upset if that happens, she is my favorite columnist over there.

That would leave me with two guys I only sort of like... Bob Ryan and Peter May.

Lobel never did it for me, he always seemed really slow in his reports, and the local news is just useless nowadays.
Take it to the hole, there's a dance involved

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Where did you hear Jackie was leaving the globe?? I would be pretty upset if that happens, she is my favorite columnist over there.

That would leave me with two guys I only sort of like... Bob Ryan and Peter May.

Lobel never did it for me, he always seemed really slow in his reports, and the local news is just useless nowadays.

This was from Scott's Shots

Long-time Boston Globe writer and columnist Jackie MacMullan is going to be taking the latest buyout offer from the paper, Shots has confirmed. MacMullan’s departure would be the highest profile defection at the paper and would severely limit the voice and diversity of opinion on Joe Sullivan’s sports pages. Only two general sports columnists will remain in Bob Ryan and Dan Shaughnessy.

An email to MacMullan’s Globe email address was not immediately returned to Shots.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 01:48:23 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200

This was from Scott's Shots

Long-time Boston Globe writer and columnist Jackie MacMullan is going to be taking the latest buyout offer from the paper, Shots has confirmed. MacMullan’s departure would be the highest profile defection at the paper and would severely limit the voice and diversity of opinion on Joe Sullivan’s sports pages. Only two general sports columnists will remain in Bob Ryan and Dan Shaughnessy.

An email to MacMullan’s Globe email address was not immediately returned to Shots.

Wow - Jackie's leaving too.  Sad day for Boston sports media.  One can only hope that both she and Lobel end up somewhere soon. 

What I like about both of them is that neither of them are yellers (hello EEI & Comcast sportsnet), both are true fans and both of them are great at what they do.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
He liked to toss 'em back. Didn't make him a bad guy.

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 03:02:43 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I don't know whether he was a drunk or what (though his nose was sometimes mighty red); I am glad to see him go though.  He was frequently condescending or obnoxious to his guests.  Sometimes he didn't even seem to care about the teams.

Half of all American men would probably enjoy the job "Sport's Anchor" it's no fun to watch someone hate himself doing your dream job.