Author Topic: Full Ainge press conference - media day  (Read 11637 times)

Full Ainge press conference - media day
« on: December 02, 2020, 03:04:30 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://youtu.be/p7FV3aatuWs

Interesting  take aways:

- "#1 priority option in the trade discussions was bringing Gordon back to boston"

-Question: With kemba and Romeo out, looking to sign anyone else?"

"there's no one we want to cut right now"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 03:13:52 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Full Ainge press conference - media day
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 08:03:46 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I wanna focus on 2 quotes from Danny.

(when asked whether he's looking to make more additions to the roster because of the Kemba and Romeo injuries)

Quote from: Danny Ainge
(...) This will be an opportunity for Marcus to play some PG again for us like he did some last year and did a very good job and Jeff Teague and Payton Pritchard and Tremont Waters (...) Aaron (Nesmith) may get an opportunity to play early in the season too. I understand those aren't perfect situations where you just bring guys in without summer league, without training camp, but we'll see what we have. I'm excited for it.

Long story short, Danny was talking about our PG depth and for some reason he felt the need to talk about Nesmith. Seems like Nesmith will see plenty of playing time early in the season.

(when asked about Tristan Thompson)
(...) he's seen a lot, and I think he's a hard working guy like I said, so I think he'll add a lot. There's a lot of value to having him on our bench, ehm I shouldn't say on our bench, on our team and in our locker room.

Based on the above 2 quotes, I would expect our starting lineup on opening night to look like this

PG: Smart
SG: Brown
SF: Nesmith
PF: Tatum
C: Theis

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 08:22:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wouldn’t project Nesmith as a starter based upon a quote that says he “may get an opportunity to play”.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 08:29:22 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I wanna focus on 2 quotes from Danny.

(when asked whether he's looking to make more additions to the roster because of the Kemba and Romeo injuries)

(...) This will be an opportunity for Marcus to play some PG again for us like he did some last year and did a very good job and Jeff Teague and Payton Pritchard and Tremont Waters (...) Aaron (Nesmith) may get an opportunity to play early in the season too. I understand those aren't perfect situations where you just bring guys in without summer league, without training camp, but we'll see what we have. I'm excited for it.

Long story short, Danny was talking about our PG depth and for some reason he felt the need to talk about Nesmith. Seems like Nesmith will see plenty of playing time early in the season.

(when asked about Tristan Thompson)
(...) he's seen a lot, and I think he's a hard working guy like I said, so I think he'll add a lot. There's a lot of value to having him on our bench, ehm I shouldn't say on our bench, on our team and in our locker room.

Based on the above 2 quotes, I would expect our starting lineup on opening night to look like this

Quote 1: Another interpretation is he named every backup guard except Edwards 🤔

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 08:49:37 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I would expect our starting lineup on opening night to look like this

I would be stunned to see this.  We may see this though:

SF: Tatum
PF: Theis or GWill or Ojeleye
C:  Thompson

Either way (or any other combination you can come up with), we lose a lot with Kemba out of the line up and "promoting" someone from our bench.

Ainge said Nesmith gets more time with Walker and Langford out which is obvious.  This means as a rookie, he will actually get to play some vs. most 14th picks stay at the end of the bench for their rookie season.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 09:05:31 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I wouldn’t project Nesmith as a starter based upon a quote that says he “may get an opportunity to play”.
Me neither, except I really think he's our best bet. I mean, if not Nesmith, then who gets the starting spot? Based on Ainge's quote, Smart will probably start at PG. If so, Brown will likely start at SG.

I guess we could start Grant at PF and move Tatum to SF. Personally speaking, I'd rather give the nod to Nesmith.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:11:33 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 09:08:04 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Nesmith, Williams, and Semi will all be given the chance to start. I could also see a scenario where Brad moves back to a two-big lineup with Theis and Thompson.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 09:32:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nesmith, Williams, and Semi will all be given the chance to start. I could also see a scenario where Brad moves back to a two-big lineup with Theis and Thompson.

This is where getting Thompson over Millsap hurts.  With Millsap, we could have plugged him in as a floor spacing PF.  Thompson/Theis just isn’t a great combo.

My guess is GW starts.

The other option is:

Theis
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Teague

That leaves our bench pretty thing for a bit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

This is where getting Thompson over Millsap hurts.  With Millsap, we could have plugged him in as a floor spacing PF.  Thompson/Theis just isn’t a great combo.

My guess is GW starts.
Yeah I really wanted Millsap because of his versatility at the forward spots.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 09:45:29 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
No way a Rookie starts opening night. Maybe it’s something they hope for aspirationally down the road, but I think a more realistic expectation would be:

C- Theis
PF- Williams
SF- Tatum
SG- Brown
PG- Smart

6- Teague
7- Thompson
8- Edwards
9- Semi
....Waters, Pritchard, Nesmith

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
No way a Rookie starts opening night. Maybe it’s something they hope for aspirationally down the road, but I think a more realistic expectation would be:

C- Theis
PF- Williams
SF- Tatum
SG- Brown
PG- Smart

6- Teague
7- Thompson
8- Edwards
9- Semi

Is there a rule that a rookie can't start opening night? I don't project Nesmith to start, but if he shows enough in a shortened training camp, why not? What do we have to lose at this point.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 10:14:55 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

My guess is GW starts.

The other option is:

Theis
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Teague

That leaves our bench pretty thing for a bit.

I hear that. I think Milsap is fading pretty fast right now as a contributor, but it would have been nice to have someone that could shoot a little more. In fairness, CBS has played two big lineups that couldn't shoot well in the past. Maybe Thompson grows a little more? Hopefully Grant Williams can take a step forward?

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
He's played in 14 games since the spring of 2019  No summer league.  No Training camp.  How can you expect a rookie to understand the offense, the defense, adjust to the pace and skill of the league, etc. in just 3 weeks?  I'm not against starting a rookie.  But asking one to step in this season and play meaningful minutes from the opening tip?  Not sure how well that idea has been thought out.

C- Theis
PF- Williams
SF- Tatum
SG- Brown
PG- Smart

6- Teague
7- Thompson
8- Edwards
9- Semi

Is there a rule that a rookie can't start opening night? I don't project Nesmith to start, but if he shows enough in a shortened training camp, why not? What do we have to lose at this point.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 10:40:27 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Without Kemba I feel like we will see one of these:

1:

Smart/Brown/Tatum/Theis/Thompson

2:

Teague/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Thomson

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 11:49:04 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Most likely opening day line up IMO

Smart/Brown/Tatum/GWilliams/Theis

With Teague/Semi/RWilliams/Thompson getting most if the bench minutes

Hot take: When Kemba comes back Grant Williams is playing so well he stays in the starting line up.