Author Topic: Silver proposes possible Playoff seeding change  (Read 9380 times)

Re: Silver proposes possible Playoff seeding change
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I would love to see a "both..and" solution. 

1 - Keep the current playoff seeding method, but reduce the first round to a best of 5 to allow for better rested play in the latter rounds

2 - Reduce the number of regular season games slightly (maybe 70?  games)

3- Add a playoff system for all the lottery teams.  The team that wins the lottery playoff gets the #1 pick. (and all other teams get picks in order of finish as well). 

Adding the lottery playoff  has several benefits:
- Every fan base gets a playoff game
- More games means more ticket revenue for the league
- Less incentive for bad teams to go into full tank mode.  If you jettison all your good players, you end up with the lowest lottery pick

1- I think the first round should go back to best-of-5. No need to be seven and better chances at upsets in a shorter series, makes it quicker and more interesting.

2- I don’t see how a shorter season makes the playoff stustem any better. They moved up the start of the season to address rest issues. If the season were to be shortened, the only think that makes sense is 76 games (4 vs division, 3 vs conference, 2 vs other conference). Still don’t think it’s an issue that needs fixing.

And 3- this is not a good idea at all. You will see teams tanking to get in to the lottery playoffs instead of the actual playoffs. Would you rather get blasted by Golden State in 4 or nab a top 3 pick? The truly terrible teams can’t get better because they will routinely pick 10+. Who would even watch a battle of the worst and when? Same time as the real playoffs? Terrible product.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fresh off being named MVP of the NBA All-Star Game played in a reimagined format that seemingly reinvigorated the February festivities, LeBron James urged the league to pump the brakes when it comes to potential changes to the playoffs.

"It's cool to mess around with the All-Star Game, we proved you can do that, but let's not get too crazy about the playoffs," James said after Cleveland Cavaliers practice Wednesday. "You have Eastern Conference and you have Western Conference. You have Eastern Conference champions, you have guys from the Eastern Conference that win the big dance and sometimes you have it from the West as well."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22533730/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-says-idea-re-seeding-playoffs

LeBron officially scared of losing his easy  east way into the finals 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:56:47 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Fresh off being named MVP of the NBA All-Star Game played in a reimagined format that seemingly reinvigorated the February festivities, LeBron James urged the league to pump the brakes when it comes to potential changes to the playoffs.

"It's cool to mess around with the All-Star Game, we proved you can do that, but let's not get too crazy about the playoffs," James said after Cleveland Cavaliers practice Wednesday. "You have Eastern Conference and you have Western Conference. You have Eastern Conference champions, you have guys from the Eastern Conference that win the big dance and sometimes you have it from the West as well."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22533730/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-says-idea-re-seeding-playoffs

LeBron officially scared of losing his easy  east way into the finals

Yea.. Lebron should have probably just kept quiet on this one. Even if it wouldn't actually work out that way in reality, the fact that he has a losing record in the finals and is 7-0 in the ECF recently really makes this look like a cowardly statement .

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

Whoa...man that would stink.. To have a chance at a Championship the Celts would have to face the Blazers, Beat the Cavs, Beat the Rockets, just to get to the Warriors..that would be the most challenging impossible championship run you could ever create...Meanwhile the Warriors would have the Pelicans, TWolves and maybe the Spurs...that is a cakewalk for them...
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2018, 01:56:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Blazers would be a fun opponent in round one, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Apparently now the NBA is discussing a play in round of games.

The play-in proposal that has generated the most discussion, according to several sources: two four-team tournaments featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth, and 10th seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed, with the winner of that single game nabbing the seventh spot, sources say. Meanwhile, the ninth seed would host the 10th seed, with the winner of that game facing the loser of the 7-versus-8 matchup for the final playoff spot.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22542306/zach-lowe-real-possibility-nba-playoffs-play-tournament

So basically make the 7th and 8th seeds more tired so they can then get destroyed by the 1 and 2 seed.

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2018, 02:21:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The play-in proposal that has generated the most discussion, according to several sources: two four-team tournaments featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth, and 10th seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed, with the winner of that single game nabbing the seventh spot, sources say. Meanwhile, the ninth seed would host the 10th seed, with the winner of that game facing the loser of the 7-versus-8 matchup for the final playoff spot.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22542306/zach-lowe-real-possibility-nba-playoffs-play-tournament

So basically make the 7th and 8th seeds more tired so they can then get destroyed by the 1 and 2 seed.

I actually really like this idea. That's 2 additional teams per conference that have something to play for.

I think they might need to go back to a best of five first round series format with that, though, unless they plan on dragging out the season even longer.

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Sounds like a kind of watered-down version of what Bill Simmons has talked about for years.

I like the idea of a play-in tournament, if it means the regular season gets shortened.

But I also like the idea of allowing the teams that earn home court advantage in round 1 the option of choosing their first round opponent (except for the 4 seed of course, which would get whoever is last pick).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I realize it’s all about money, but more than 50% of the league makes the playoffs.  Do we really need to go up to 67%? In recent years there have been sub-.500 squads making the post-season. Last year, the two 10-seeds were 37-45 and 34-48. The year before the West 10-seed was 33-49.

How does this make the viewing experience remotely better?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Sounds like a kind of watered-down version of what Bill Simmons has talked about for years.

I like the idea of a play-in tournament, if it means the regular season gets shortened.

But I also like the idea of allowing the teams that earn home court advantage in round 1 the option of choosing their first round opponent (except for the 4 seed of course, which would get whoever is last pick).
I wonder how it would effect the draft lottery. Do the teams that finished 10-14 in the regular season still stay in the lottery or do the teams eliminated from the playoffs get ranked 10-14 in the lottery? My guess is 10-14 stay that way whether they make the playoffs or not.

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2018, 02:41:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I actually really like this idea. That's 2 additional teams per conference that have something to play for.

I think they might need to go back to a best of five first round series format with that, though, unless they plan on dragging out the season even longer.

I thought the idea was a little crazy at first, but when you mention this aspect it makes some  sense. This would definitely decrease the amount of teams that were resting veterans, tanking etc. Some years it would work better than others. This year it wouldn't make too big a difference (the top 10 teams in the west are locked already). The one downside is you could end up with a truly horrendous series. A team like the Knicks or Charlotte would end up as the 10 seed this year. If they somehow upset the 76ers or Heat in a one game playoff all of a sudden you have a first round series of Toronto versus the Knicks which would be truly embarrassing playoff basketball.

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I realize it’s all about money, but more than 50% of the league makes the playoffs.  Do we really need to go up to 67%? In recent years there have been sub-.500 squads making the post-season. Last year, the two 10-seeds were 37-45 and 34-48. The year before the West 10-seed was 33-49.

Well it depends on how you view it. A lot of people probably end up viewing the wildcard in baseball as not really making the playoffs if you lose. It is like half making it. You are not getting a full series or revenue if you lose (the 9 and 10 seeds would get very minimal money if they lose one away playoff game). The downside as I just said in another thread is you could end up with a horrific series if a really bad 9 seed upsets in the wildcard game and gets matched against a warriors/raptors juggernaut for a full series. I can see advantages and disadvantages.

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Couldn't agree more.

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2018, 03:07:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Well it depends on how you view it. A lot of people probably end up viewing the wildcard in baseball as not really making the playoffs if you lose. It is like half making it. You are not getting a full series or revenue if you lose (the 9 and 10 seeds would get very minimal money if they lose one away playoff game). The downside as I just said in another thread is you could end up with a horrific series if a really bad 9 seed upsets in the wildcard game and gets matched against a warriors/raptors juggernaut for a full series. I can see advantages and disadvantages.
But 8 teams made the playoffs in baseball before they added the wild card game.  Big difference.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Couldn't agree more.

It doesn't but it allows the league to bleed more money in television rights out of its broadcast partners.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team