Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 240344 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1755 on: July 01, 2019, 09:55:10 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Well I'd say if there's any one person who could identify a knucklehead, it would be Greg Dickerson

« Reply #1756 on: July 01, 2019, 09:55:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I read somewhere that he's been at the Celtics practice facility every morning at 6 am.  Hopefully, he can make a second year jump.
hopefully, but it seemed to me that his biggest problem is mental, not physical. he had trouble playing defense within the team's defensive schemes.

we shall see. he will get minutes this year for sure.

To be fair, playing NBA defense as a rookie center is quite difficult, as is playing point guard on offense, because you have responsibility for everyone as the communicator, and not just yourself, so there’s much more the think about and be aware of..  I didn’t expect much of him last year, because he was a rookie big.  Hopefully this year he will take a step forward.  That he’s taken on that role of telling his teammates where to be, even in only a summer league practice, is a positive sign.
yes, i did not mean to imply that TL is hopeless. rather that the earlier post mentioned physical development when i thought it was the mental development that was most in need.

good points as ever salty.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

21 Years Old
« Reply #1757 on: July 02, 2019, 09:49:02 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

« Reply #1758 on: July 02, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1146204820564525058?s=21

If Brad gives Robert Williams a real opportunity we won’t be worried about the center position by mid-season.

I’m with Dangercart on this one. Set him free, Brad! I think he’s starting by the end of the season so long as he gets the opportunity from Brad.

Favorite play of night-Was Robert Williams and not a dunk
« Reply #1759 on: July 07, 2019, 05:33:56 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Robert Williams jumps the passing lane sending the ball skidding forward he catches up to the ball while
 on the run somehow keeps dribble alive and then finishes with a euro steps in traffic for a layup.
That one play had so many components and didn't look like ragged a hustle play but a Celtic play
First defensive awareness.
Reaction time and using wingspan to defect ball forward.
Agility to regain control of dribble at half court while sprinting and finish in traffic.
Quickness and agility catching up to ball .
Using his wingspan while keeping low to regain control of dribble while sprinting forward
Finishes like a small forward with a contested euro step.
I had to watch that on replay as i thought that must have been another player
That kind of play just flashed his potential beyond a lob dunk or spiking a blocked shot but a new level of coordination and athleticism .

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:39:34 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Favorite play of night-Was Robert Williams and not a dunk
« Reply #1760 on: July 07, 2019, 05:55:15 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
If Rob Will can become like Clint Capela then the search for the next Celtics big man is over.

Right now Celts are still one move away from being a legit contender.

I think the Celts are better off trading for a player like Bradley Beal than for a big like Capela.

« Reply #1761 on: July 07, 2019, 07:30:31 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Well, there was a lot of nice basketball from RWill, but it seriously blows my mind that he won that Defensive Player of the year award.

Check out his awareness starting at 6.46 - three bad moves: doesn't check his man when the handoff happens (although isn't in too bad position - lucky), late to the drive contest - just literally ball watching, then late to recover and stupidly tries to snatch a steal that wasn't there, loses position. Still needs a LOT of work. Also, his offensive rebounding effort comes and goes.

Tacko's defense was actually pretty good all night. I hope he gets a 2-way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5g_3SsB7k
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1762 on: July 07, 2019, 08:00:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Well, there was a lot of nice basketball from RWill, but it seriously blows my mind that he won that Defensive Player of the year award.

Check out his awareness starting at 6.46 - three bad moves: doesn't check his man when the handoff happens (although isn't in too bad position - lucky), late to the drive contest - just literally ball watching, then late to recover and stupidly tries to snatch a steal that wasn't there, loses position. Still needs a LOT of work. Also, his offensive rebounding effort comes and goes.

Yes, there's currently some "irrational exuberance" surrounding Rob Williams.  He has a long way to go on both sides of the ball.  He clearly doesn't not have a grasp of team defense yet.  On the other side, his mid-range jumper is not reliable and he has no post game at all.  Any notion of him starting at center is just wishful thinking.

« Reply #1763 on: July 07, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Yes, there's currently some "irrational exuberance" surrounding Rob Williams.  He has a long way to go on both sides of the ball.  He clearly doesn't not have a grasp of team defense yet.  On the other side, his mid-range jumper is not reliable and he has no post game at all.  Any notion of him starting at center is just wishful thinking.

He also doesn't show much physicality. Looks like he's trying to avoid contact most of the time.

Pelle, on the Sixers, to me was a better defender.

« Reply #1764 on: July 07, 2019, 08:12:28 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Good illustration with that clip. Ouch. I often have the impression he's out of position and late to react; this is a good breakdown of a (too typical) play.

One positive I'd offer is that his passing was usually crisp - didn't hold the ball too long - and often was a good basketball play. He made one or two nice pocket passes to cutters.

« Reply #1765 on: July 07, 2019, 08:13:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He also doesn't show much physicality. Looks like he's trying to avoid contact most of the time.

For someone who is supposedly working so hard he was still huffing and puffing at almost every stop in the action.

« Reply #1766 on: July 07, 2019, 08:27:54 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Good illustration with that clip. Ouch. I often have the impression he's out of position and late to react; this is a good breakdown of a (too typical) play.

One positive I'd offer is that his passing was usually crisp - didn't hold the ball too long - and often was a good basketball play. He made one or two nice pocket passes to cutters.

Yes, agreed. It's bizarre to me that his passing vision is actually very good - was last year too. Literally the least advertised part of his game coming out of college.

He is still very slim, and you're right - he just doesn't have a feel for when to engage contact on defensive end.

Agree with Surferdad that he simply is not a starting option at this point... we go with Theis or Kanter. [That's not to say that he couldn't figure things out quickly without having coaching staff completely occupied with all last year's bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. drama, working a million sets to ensure everyone is fed.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1767 on: July 07, 2019, 08:50:18 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

For someone who is supposedly working so hard he was still huffing and puffing at almost every stop in the action.
Significant concern.  His game depends a lot of his athleticism, but if he's going to get winded so quickly he won't stay on the floor.  I'm a bit disappointed to see more holes in his game this summer, not less.

« Reply #1768 on: July 07, 2019, 08:52:54 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

People will find any opportunity to bash this young man

Yes it's a obvious bad play on TL, but it's rare and for a guy who barely played last season in his first SUMMER game of the season it's totally acceptable

« Reply #1769 on: July 07, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Significant concern.  His game depends a lot of his athleticism, but if he's going to get winded so quickly he won't stay on the floor.  I'm a bit disappointed to see more holes in his game this summer, not less.
You think it's easy to move like that with what he got? he just been through his first year, give the kid some time smh