Author Topic: 2015-16 EPL Season  (Read 72953 times)

Re: 2015-16 EPL Season
« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2015, 10:11:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I still hope that Guardiola signs with MU ......
but i was hopping the same for Klopp too

I don`t know what they are waiting for..... maybe for Real to sack Rafa Benitez :D

« Reply #286 on: December 20, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Sorry, but I saw this gem on 9gag. I just had to.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #287 on: December 20, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

From a Man Utd forum, 2 weeks ago:

We've allowed, on average, just 56 passes per game inside our own final third this season. The next lowest in the league are City, on 72. The league average is 94. Our opponents have the ball inside our final third just 20.6% of the time, the lowest rate in the league, compared to a 27.3% league average; our opponents have the ball inside their own third of the pitch 27.7% of the time, the highest rate in the league, with Bournemouth in second place at 20.9%, compared to a league average of 18.2%. We're exceptionally good, relative to all other sides in England, at boxing teams into their own third of the pitch and stopping them playing through the midfield. No other team in the country, in fact, plays at all like we do under Van Gaal.

Van Gaal is doing an excellent job. What is going on in the english media is a smear campaign. It's a decidedly british attitude to make fun of terms like "philosophy", something LVG is pretty big on. It's not Van Gaal's fault Wayne Rooney can't hit the broad side of a barn these days.
The truth is, they wanted him gone before he even stepped on a training pitch.

If everyone, the journos, the casual fans, the ex-players, is making fun of your work, even though you deliver excellent results with a very young team, it creates an environment in which success is basically impossible to achieve. This is a prime example of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There's an old saying: Every football team is full of unhappy players, minus eleven. If you blame the coach (who, in modern football, is already the weakest link, anyway) for everything, all you do is give those players excuses and ammuniton to shoot against the coach internally.

It's clear as bright daylight that Van Gaal will be gone soon, but it won't be because of the job he's done, it will be because he has been sabotaged from the get-go. Just take all this nonsense about 250 million spent. That figure ignores facts like a) Man U had an old squad and needed an overhaul after years of prude spending b) the money they made from selling players (e.g 45 million for Di Maria), or c) the fact that half of the sum was spent on players VG merely sanctioned, not actively signed himself (Shaw, Di Maria). Man U negotiated with Shaw long before Van Gaal was Man U coach, Di Maria was the only star player available at the time, and always more of a statement of intent for the club, fans and sponsors than a typical Van Gaal signing...the list goes on.
Not to mention, 250 million is only a fraction of what their competitors have spent over the last few years.

But yeah, let's not get context in the way of a good story and a laugh.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:02:24 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #288 on: December 20, 2015, 02:18:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
I expected those type of numbers from Man Utd. I think their defensive organization is the best in the league. Their midfield and frontline do a phenomenal job of protecting their back 4. Especially the double pivot.

I am shocked to see Bournemouth as 2nd best for keeping opponent in their own back 3rd.

Great stats by the way.

« Reply #289 on: December 20, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

From a Man Utd forum, 2 weeks ago:

We've allowed, on average, just 56 passes per game inside our own final third this season. The next lowest in the league are City, on 72. The league average is 94. Our opponents have the ball inside our final third just 20.6% of the time, the lowest rate in the league, compared to a 27.3% league average; our opponents have the ball inside their own third of the pitch 27.7% of the time, the highest rate in the league, with Bournemouth in second place at 20.9%, compared to a league average of 18.2%. We're exceptionally good, relative to all other sides in England, at boxing teams into their own third of the pitch and stopping them playing through the midfield. No other team in the country, in fact, plays at all like we do under Van Gaal.

Van Gaal is doing an excellent job. What is going on in the english media is a smear campaign. It's a decidedly british attitude to make fun of terms like "philosophy", something LVG is pretty big on. It's not Van Gaal's fault Wayne Rooney can't hit the broad side of a barn these days.
The truth is, they wanted him gone before he even stepped on a training pitch.

If everyone, the journos, the casual fans, the ex-players, is making fun of your work, even though you deliver excellent results with a very young team, it creates an environment in which success is basically impossible to achieve. This is a prime example of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There's an old saying: Every football team is full of unhappy players, minus eleven. If you blame the coach (who, in modern football, is already the weakest link, anyway) for everything, all you do is give those players excuses and ammuniton to shoot against the coach internally.

It's clear as bright daylight that Van Gaal will be gone soon, but it won't be because of the job he's done, it will be because he has been sabotaged from the get-go. Just take all this nonsense about 250 million spent. That figure ignores facts like a) Man U had an old squad and needed an overhaul after years of prude spending b) the money they made from selling players (e.g 45 million for Di Maria), or c) the fact that half of the sum was spent on players VG merely sanctioned, not actively signed himself (Shaw, Di Maria). Man U negotiated with Shaw long before Van Gaal was Man U coach, Di Maria was the only star player available at the time, and always more of a statement of intent for the club, fans and sponsors than a typical Van Gaal signing...the list goes on.
Not to mention, 250 million is only a fraction of what their competitors have spent over the last few years.

But yeah, let's not get context in the way of a good story and a laugh.

They are currently 5th in the table, despite as you said, spent a ton of money to get players.

He could not make Angel di Maria work? Really? You can't make a World Class player work for your squad? He's thriving at PSG right now.

He signed Rojo and Blind and refuse to play them to their natural positions. 

And true, it's a young team, a young team he paid for. Depay, Martial and Darmian costed United £79 million (per Sky Sports), that's not counting Martial's potential increase to up to £56 million. You can make the case that there may not have been any available proven talent out there, but that doesn't justify spending over £80 million on Martial and Depay, who has potential, but clearly isn't worth that much money.

A team that spent that much should not lose to Norwich and Bournemouth, and be fighting for a Europa spot. And a team like that should not have a Champions League Group Stage exit, especially when their competition is Wolfsburg and PSV.

Sure they're doing a lot of positives, but for such an expensive team, they can't be 9 points behind the league leaders.

« Reply #290 on: December 20, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
It's scary to think how good Man City will be with Guardiola in charge.

I think they are going to open up a big gap between them and the rest of the competition (Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool).

Runaway title winners for next few years.
I agree! And if City can keep Kompany and Aguero injury free they might be a legit contender for winning the Champions League with Guardiola in charge.

I'm a City fan, so I know that will happen directly after pigs grow wings and fly, en masse, to the Moon. 

« Reply #291 on: December 21, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Looks like MU signed Mou .......

« Reply #292 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Some more MU stats otherwise we are just cherrypicking

24/10 till 19/12 MU has 7 (SEVEN) on target attempts .. dead last... The Spurs (first) have 30 ... in 8 games 7 shots on target

MU needs +72 pass per goal and before you think about Barcelona ,MU is the first in BACKWARDS passes. The difference between MU and the second Arsenal is the same as between Arsenal and the 15nth Chrystal Palace

The next worse team in passes/goal is Newcastle with ~56.... the difference is same as between the first Leicester (32) and the 10nth WBA

The goal per game ration is the worst since 1990

So this team defends (usually) well , scores just over a goal per game , plays constantly the ball backwards or sideways and rarely threatens the other keeper has spent more than 250m pounds (that`s over 372m usd or 340m euro)   but it`s the press to be blamed..... 

« Reply #293 on: December 21, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Lots of rumours about Mourinho replacing Van Gaal.

Imagine Mourinho at Man Utd vs Guardiola at Man City.
The battle of Manchester. For Hearts and Minds.
The beauty of Guardiola's Manchester City vs the robustness of Mourinho's Manchester United.

« Reply #294 on: December 21, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Well we ve seen in Spain and it wasn`t pretty for Mourihno.... :D

I think Mourihno has lost his fire

« Reply #295 on: December 21, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Yes!! Go on Arsenal!

2-1 Arsenal over City. Nervy finish after that beautiful goal by Yaya Toure.

I'd love to see Wenger get one more league title.

« Reply #296 on: December 21, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Congrats, Yoki.  Arsenal played great and certainly deserved all three points.  Today was a perfect example of why MP has taken us as far as he is able.  We might as well bring The Pep in as at least it will mean that we will be rid of Yaya and his malignant attitude/behavior, which has sabotaged the club for the second season running.  Pellegrini is committed to living or dying with Yaya installed as a permanent fixture in midfield, which is why he is a "dead man walking" after yesterday's announcement from Germany. 

Chelsea are more than welcome to him. 

« Reply #297 on: December 22, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Congrats, Yoki.  Arsenal played great and certainly deserved all three points.  Today was a perfect example of why MP has taken us as far as he is able.  We might as well bring The Pep in as at least it will mean that we will be rid of Yaya and his malignant attitude/behavior, which has sabotaged the club for the second season running.  Pellegrini is committed to living or dying with Yaya installed as a permanent fixture in midfield, which is why he is a "dead man walking" after yesterday's announcement from Germany. 

Chelsea are more than welcome to him.

Yaya Toure killed us in the final 15 minutes. I wonder why he can't do that consistently the entire game.

Also, Kevin de Bruyne, gotta make that chance. Lucky for us he didn't, but for a player of his quality, he has to make that chance when it's there. I'm not just saying this to blow steam of your behind, but City controlled that game and should have had the 3 points. Mangala making that bad pass was the blow, but overall, City had us sitting back. If Debruyne scored, it would have been a different game.

But hey, I'd take the 3 points, and the 4 point gap.

« Reply #298 on: December 22, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So, if you're Leicester (did I spell that right?), I know for sure you're not selling Riyadh Mahrez (not yet anyway), but if there's a big offer for Jamie Vardy, do you sell him?

« Reply #299 on: December 22, 2015, 01:36:33 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
So, if you're Leicester (did I spell that right?), I know for sure you're not selling Riyadh Mahrez (not yet anyway), but if there's a big offer for Jamie Vardy, do you sell him?
I wouldn't.
If it aint broke, don't fix it ;D! Leicester should build their team around Vardy and Mahrez, as they have got something special going there.
Jack of all trades, master of none.