Author Topic: 2015-16 EPL Season  (Read 72075 times)

2015-16 EPL Season
« on: August 08, 2015, 01:30:49 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Premier League is back, and boy am I ready to wake up at 4am to see the very first match.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks the Spurs will get a top 4 spot this season? I mean, I don't want it to happen, but I'm really scared of Harry Kane.

And what do you know, they have the first game against another intriguing squad in Manchester United, who splurged on Central Midfielders.

I'm so ready!

#COYG!
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: 2015-16 EPL Season
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 02:28:08 AM »

Offline clappy

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
Spurs??? Chelsea, Arsenal, and Man City are probably locks for top four, meaning they would have to beat out ManU. Can't see it happening. I'd put Liverpool ahead of them too.

Admittedly, I am a huge Arsenal fan so I want them to fail and fail hard in a hilarious manner.

Could be one of the most competitive EPL's in years. Here's hoping.

Edit: just noticed your COYG!

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 05:11:10 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Spurs aren't getting into the top four this year.  I love them but no.

The favorites are obviously Chelsea but I could see Aresenal hanging around for a bit this year.  The Manchester teams are tough to call right now.  Top four...sure but there's still a lot of questions hanging over both squads.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 05:16:22 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Spurs VS MU always produce great games. It`d be very interesting to see Lloris facing MU`s strong offense and their comical defense trying to guard Harry Kane :D

But unfortunately i won`t watch the game as at the same time is a nice 4th german division game i have ticket to watch  :D

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
First time the first goal of the season has been an own goal, so hey, at least spurs are setting records
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:45:14 AM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Think Harry Kane may have hit his peak - defenders will need to respect him more and he will have to really up his game.

Good luck to Bournemouth today in their first EPL game... it's only been a few years since they were in the bottom division but they have shown it can be done!

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 08:45:55 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think Spurs have any shot at a top 4 place. Not enough investment in the squad over the squad. Everyone around them has done more to improve themselves than Tottenham has. Not enough creativity in the squad. Too much reliance on Eriksen and Kane.

I think Tottenham have become too rigid / mechanical under Pochettino. I don't enjoy watching Tottenham play as much as I used to in the past.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:11:36 AM by Who »

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 09:04:07 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I am picking Arsenal to win the league this season.

Loved the Petr Cech signing. The defense finally has quality and depth around it. Some young guys (Bellerin, Chambers) got blooded in last season. Debuchy is back healthy. Lots of depth and options across the backline. Lots of options and numbers in midfield with the exception of one spot. Coquelin is the only defensive midfielder. They really needed to get someone in behind him. An injury to Coquelin could change everything for Arsenal and derail their season. I think Giroud will have a huge season up front.

Chelsea have the best starting 11 but I am worried about their depth. I will probably change my mind about them if they make enough signings before the transfer window closes but right now I think their lack of depth will cost them. Only 5 defenders. No way they can get through the season without more depth at the back. Midfield is a problem too. No replacement player for Matic as defensive midfielder or Fabregas as creative passing midfielder. Ramires continues to struggle in that deeper two man holding midfield role (Ramires needs to be in a 3 man midfield). Diego Costa has some injury problems which are not showing up in medical exams that has lingered from late last season to the new season. No idea how to fix him up. So that could be a major problem. Falcao is a shadow of himself leaving Loic Remy as only fit reliable striker. Another depth problem.

I think Man City have the best squad from top to bottom but I think Pelligrini will cost them the title. The team has been unstable defensively and prone to lapses ever since he has been in charge and I expect the same thing to happen again this year. Man City won titles when there was competition lacking at the top of the table. I don't think that will happen this year. I do think their lapses will be punished. I like both Arsenal and Chelsea to finish ahead of them.

I am going with Liverpool in 4th place. I think they have a really underrated group of players. I love Benteke. I think he is one of the best strikers in Europe. Fantastic signing. Firmino looks a special too. Scrappy, high work rate and skilful. The type of player that usually adapts quickly to English football. I think getting rid of Gerrard will be very good for their defense. Rodgers had problems putting balanced teams around him with his old legs and limited defensive movement. I think Liverpool's midfield (sans Gerrard) will give more protection to the defense this year and the defense should fare much better. I love the James Miler signing. I think a Milner - J.Henderson box-to-box duo with Emre Can behind them is a strong group. I think Milner is going to have the best season of his career.

Disappointed to see Man Utd lose Di Maria and look likely to lose De Gea as well. I thought they were the two best players in their team. So massive losses. I think that will cost them a top 4 place. Worried about Van Gaal putting Danny Blind in defense as a CB. Do not think that will work in England. I think Rooney has lost a yard or two of pace as well. Worried about lack of alternatives up front. Not enough pace in attacking options. Nobody going in behind defenders and stretching the pitch. No De Gea. No Vic Valdes. No quality GK to replace De Gea. De Gea bailed out a bad defense on numerous occasions last year. I think his loss will expose a poor backline. Van Gaal does a bad job utilizing Juan Mata. Depay is very talented but very young. Too much pressure on his young shoulders.

I think Tottenham will have a tough fight on their hands for the 6th spot.

I thought Everton took a step backwards this summer. They paid off debt instead of investing in their team. I think it will cost them Stones (this summer or next). I think it'll cost them a spot in the Europa League. I think they'll be closer to 10th place than fighting for 6th.

Southampton have a strong team. I like the look of Swansea. Stoke are a much improved group. I loved Newcastle's changes this summer. I think they could have a major turnaround this year. Crystal Palace were great after Pardew joined them last season and Cabaye was a major signing. A lot of competition for those 6th place to 12th place spots in the table.

I think Bournemouth stay up. I like what I hear about their manager and style of player. I think they'll be one of the darlings of the season. West Brom will be safe because of Tony Pulis.

I think Leicester will get relegated with Ranieri in charge. I think Norwich get relegated as well. And I am going to go with Sunderland as the 3rd team.

So that leaves Watford, Aston Villa and West Ham as safe. I think West Ham take a big step back with Allardyce gone. Nearer the foot of the table than competing for Euro places like there were for much of last season.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:13:19 AM by Who »

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 09:15:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I love Darmian for Man Utd. Great signing. I think he might best the best RB in the league.

Tottenham were always going to struggle today because of that stupid trip to Germany. Only got back 3 days ago. Played two friendly games in short space of time against top opponents (R.Madrid, AC Milan). No way they were not going to be fatigued coming into today's game. Stupid commercial venture too close to the start of the season. No recovery time. Always going to cost them today no matter what team they played against. Daniel Levy screwed over his players with that dumb trip.

Neither of these teams have been impressive today. Man Utd dodgy up front. Dodgy at the back. Strong in the middle but once the ball moves out of there they get in trouble. Tottenham were knackered physically for most of the game. Still lack creativity up front. Look pretty solid defensively. Well organized. Individual brilliance of Eriksen and Kane bails out an otherwise underwhelming attacking team.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:36:10 AM by Who »

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Wow.

The Spurs defended really well, had some decent chances but had seemed to have a better attacking afternoon than United, but they gave up the 3 points?

Good.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

So that leaves Watford, Aston Villa and West Ham as safe. I think West Ham take a big step back with Allardyce gone. Nearer the foot of the table than competing for Euro places like there were for much of last season.

I have not been able to watch any Ligue 1 game, but from what I've read trying to hype myself up, a lot of writers are thinking the Dimitri Payet signing from Marseille could be special and is something to watch.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 11:11:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think Bournemouth stay up. I like what I hear about their manager and style of player. I think they'll be one of the darlings of the season. West Brom will be safe because of Tony Pulis.

I think Leicester will get relegated with Ranieri in charge. I think Norwich get relegated as well. And I am going to go with Sunderland as the 3rd team.

My son's early appraisal of Sunderland also included the word "relegation".

I wonder how many seasons it would take Bournemouth in the EPL before they could do something about the fact that they play in a 10k seat stadium.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 09:25:50 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So, all this hype and Arsenal still cant defend set pieces. Unbelievable...

Dimitri Payet is starting to become a favorite of mine. Passes are very precise. Wonder why PSG didn't swoop in on him.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:34:56 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Petr Cech doesn't look good at all in this game. Yikes.

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 08:49:35 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Petr Cech doesn't look good at all in this game. Yikes.

Ospina was flat-out brilliant in the Copa America.  Then again, he was pretty impressive in the last World Cup, also.  Hard to believe that Wenger splashed out on Cech and tossed Ospina away.  Heck, he could have had BOTH of them, an ideal situation.