Author Topic: Team USA humiliated. First loss since 2006.  (Read 6512 times)

Team USA humiliated. First loss since 2006.
« on: August 24, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
https://www.espn.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/27450965/australia-stuns-team-usa-snaps-78-game-streak

The Celtics' entire core of Kemba, Smart, Brown, and Tatum is playing on team USA this year.  Your thoughts?

Re: Team USA humiliated. First loss since 2006.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 03:57:52 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
https://www.espn.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/27450965/australia-stuns-team-usa-snaps-78-game-streak

The Celtics' entire core of Kemba, Smart, Brown, and Tatum is playing on team USA this year.  Your thoughts?
Paul pierce was humiliated in 2006 just to win the nba title two years after that

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
It's our Z-tier team. Of course we would lose a game eventually. This is only "disappointment" if you're deluded.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Australia has a decent core of NBA players. Isnt Simmons ffrom there? Has he opted to play for Australia or is he holding out for US?

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 04:04:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
What about the time they crushed Australia a few days ago or does that not count?

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 04:04:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It's our Z-tier team. Of course we would lose a game eventually. This is only "disappointment" if you're deluded.

It's also just an exhibition game.  We will play better than this as we continue to develop our chemistry and rotations.

I don't see how we were humiliated since we beat them the game before, and this one was a very competitive game.

Hats off to the Aussies, they played great in the 2nd half.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 04:05:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Mason Plumlee made the team. Does anything else even need to be said?

Kemba - one of the team's only all-stars - didn't even start the game. Tatum was bad, but so was most everybody else; while Australia was treating this like a championship game.

Obviously not a great look, but 'humiliated' is not the word I would use to describe this loss. I think they still have a great chance to take Gold, but the talent pool is iffy at best. We have 4 players on the team and our 2nd best player isn't even there...and I would say 2 of our top 3 if you want to include Horford who was on our team for the past 3 years.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:15:20 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It's all good people. This team is Less than our best,

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Truly humiliating would be losing with the best NBA players in Olympic or World Cup games

A roster with potential lineups such as Harden, Curry, Kawhi, George, AD for example

This year’s team is D-List, maybe C at best

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 06:25:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Remember when the U.S. never lost, and actually had the very best NBA players on its team?

I realize that other countries have indeed closed the talent gap somewhat, but they’d stand very little chance if the U.S. had LeBron, Leonard, KD, Curry, etc.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
HUmiliated? They lost an exhibition game by 4 points, with pretty much all of the top guys electing not to participate, to an excellent Aussie squad.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 11:37:48 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Relax. Australia team is legit. They have 4 players who are NBA champs (Bogut, Mills, Baynes, Delly)

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 01:38:40 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I watched the game, Smart only played the first half and didn't look match fit. Kemba and Tatum played ok. Brown had his moments but turned the ball over too much. On one occasion he passed it over the sideline to nobody. Team USA didn't shoot well. And they got burned by the Aussies running the same play over and over in the 4th - putting Bogut at the top of the key with the ball in his hands and looking for Mills to either come off a screen for a 3 or cut to the basket for a layup. They need to figure out their help defense as Mills burned them over and over. Also they looked to take their foot off the gas after going 10 points up in the 3rd quarter and let the Aussies take the lead. By that time the Aussies were all over them like a cheap suit and they spent too much time trying to iso, probably because under the pressure they couldn't run their sets effectively. Also Derrick White and Mason Plumlee played terrible, the Aussies made up the deficit with them on the court. Not to say they weren't trying to win, but if Pop really wanted to win the game he would've brought back his main players when they made that run but as an exhibition he was probably more interested in seeing how those lesser lights performed under pressure (and they didn't do very well).

I understand your love for hyperbole, but I wouldn't say humiliated though given the quality players on the team. A lot of these national teams have played together for years and understand each person's role on the court. Australia, Serbia and Spain have all built up chemistry from years of playing. This team's not good enough to do that. I think this World Cup will be pretty open and I wouldn't be surprised if Team USA doesn't win the gold. If they get caught on a day when they aren't playing well and one of these other teams are they can definitely lose.

They should at least medal though. Not medalling, now that would be a humiliation.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 01:50:46 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 01:40:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I read the title and thought that USA played against Lebanon and lost by 12.....  Talk about overreacting....

Besides its an excebition game and we all know the next defeat in an official game will be by Greece again 😜😜😜

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 01:45:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Australia has a decent core of NBA players. Isnt Simmons ffrom there? Has he opted to play for Australia or is he holding out for US?

He withdrew along with his Philly teammate Jonah Bolden. Word is that some of the Philly higher-ups put some pressure on them not to play for their country.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D