Author Topic: What will a package of brown and rozier get us?  (Read 7428 times)

What will a package of brown and rozier get us?
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:52:35 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Both of these guys are too erratic.  They might be fine in a different role but if you’re looking for reliable glue type guys that can take us to the next level, we need different types of guys.  And I wouldn’t be looking for some crazy return (like AD) or anything.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:04:57 PM by droopdog7 »

Re: What will a package of brown get us
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
A player who isn't as good as Brown. 

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
He's 22 years old, still raw, and yet has proved he can play at a high level in the playoffs.

It would be foolish to throw him away without getting something very valuable in return.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I understand he's still raw and young. But at the same time...something is missing. I'm not seeing a slow steady improvement, never mind a burst of improvement. He disappears in total much too often having no effect on the game. 

I'm hoping for a Victor Oladipo type of surge in the near future.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
A worse looking future.  Let's not trade away a talented 22 year old in a slump.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:08:23 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
To the OP - Who's the other guy you're talking about...Rozier?

He's 22 years old, still raw, and yet has proved he can play at a high level in the playoffs.

It would be foolish to throw him away without getting something very valuable in return.

Precisely.

I wish I had been able to watch the first three quarters today, but couldn't cos of work...but from what I've heard, Brown played fantastic defense of Kawhii during those quarters. Brown has once again showed flashes this year on offense, sporting a cleaner stroke from three.

Down the stretch, Stevens probably went with Mook because of his size on defense against Kawhii and reliableness on offence. This is sensible for a team with finals aspirations - while Brown is far more talented, Mook has certain advantages. Brown is still just 22.

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 12:06:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Precisely.

I wish I had been able to watch the first three quarters today, but couldn't cos of work...but from what I've heard, Brown played fantastic defense of Kawhii during those quarters. Brown has once again showed flashes this year on offense, sporting a cleaner stroke from three.

Down the stretch, Stevens probably went with Mook because of his size on defense against Kawhii and reliableness on offence. This is sensible for a team with finals aspirations - while Brown is far more talented, Mook has certain advantages. Brown is still just 22.
Oops.  Yes, rozier the other guy.  As for brown, we’ll come to a point soon where youth will no longer be used as a crutch for him.  His basketball IQ is crazy bad.  That’s not a good sign for a star.

Re: What will a package of brown and rozier get us?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Even if we win the title this year, there’s virtually no way we could bring this team back (resign Irving, Rozier, Morris, Theis, and renegotiate Horford). So the odds we see this exact team again are slim.

I think at some point Ainge will have to consolidate players or simply let them walk.

There’s the potential of four first-rounders as well (three will likely convey but let’s go Clippers!).

So although having too many assets is a good problem to have, it’s still a problem that Ainge is going to need to figure out.

He may let it play out this season if we really start steamrolling, but a trade, potentially a blockbuster, will be need to happen eventually. Picking up Yabu’s option was curious to me, but Ainge always has a plan.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Even if we win the title this year, there’s virtually no way we could bring this team back (resign Irving, Rozier, Morris, Theis, and renegotiate Horford). So the odds we see this exact team again are slim.

I think at some point Ainge will have to consolidate players or simply let them walk.

There’s the potential of four first-rounders as well (three will likely convey but let’s go Clippers!).

So although having too many assets is a good problem to have, it’s still a problem that Ainge is going to need to figure out.

He may let it play out this season if we really start steamrolling, but a trade, potentially a blockbuster, will be need to happen eventually. Picking up Yabu’s option was curious to me, but Ainge always has a plan.

agreed. i think we will compress the roster and go for MORE quality over quantity. As you stated a big trade by next year.

agreed. we will compress the roster with more top end quality over quantity by next year. maybe a AD trade. we could use a 3 point sharpshooter though this year coming off bench with MOOK, smart, theis
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 12:49:41 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Best I've got is.
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9fwe5b5

Terry Rozier and Jaylen Brown for Jonathon Issac and a late 1st/Low Second

I like Issac a lot, he would allow Tatum to slide to the 3 and provide more size at the 4 against the rapidly growing eastern conference. Issac could be free to develop as a low usage finisher and between the playmaking of Kyrie/Hayward/Horford.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih8AQzjnmvg Issac with the rejection!

Orlando considers it because Issac is redundant with Gordon and Jaylen could slide into the 3 with Terry getting an opportunity to start at the 1.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We should have traded for Kawhi. That’s about the only deal I would have been okay trading Brown in.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 01:51:55 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
You just do not trade brown... the kid has a ton of defensive potential.. will score 15 a game this year which ia a year that the team tries to find chemistry and he is 21? Imagine him with his will to improve at 25...

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 04:22:42 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Best I've got is.
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9fwe5b5

Terry Rozier and Jaylen Brown for Jonathon Issac and a late 1st/Low Second

I like Issac a lot, he would allow Tatum to slide to the 3 and provide more size at the 4 against the rapidly growing eastern conference. Issac could be free to develop as a low usage finisher and between the playmaking of Kyrie/Hayward/Horford.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih8AQzjnmvg Issac with the rejection!

Orlando considers it because Issac is redundant with Gordon and Jaylen could slide into the 3 with Terry getting an opportunity to start at the 1.

I want to like this deal, because I’m intrigued by Isaac – his size and his competitiveness. But man, have a look at his offensive statistics.  He is on the Marcus smart level as a shooter – which is a real problem when you’re almost 7 feet tall. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/isaacjo01.html

I haven’t seen him play much but I’ve heard he settles for a lot of long to this – sort of looks like Marcus Morris except he doesn’t hit as many of them.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
We should have traded for Kawhi. That’s about the only deal I would have been okay trading Brown in.
I've gone back and forth on Butler a lot, I think I'm back in the camp, Boston should have made an attempt to acquire him (though with all those big dollar trades it is difficult to match especially without the ability to include Baynes or Smart at this point). 

But yeah Leonard would have been great.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 04:50:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I understand he's still raw and young. But at the same time...something is missing. I'm not seeing a slow steady improvement, never mind a burst of improvement. He disappears in total much too often having no effect on the game. 

I'm hoping for a Victor Oladipo type of surge in the near future.
Brown had a giant burst of improvement last year. It's difficult to show much of an offensive improvement this year as he is being used exclusively as the 5th option on offense with the starters, which is the lineup he plays the most minutes with. He, along with everyone else, is still adjusting to their roles with a healthy Hayward and Irving being back on the team.

And he has definitely improved his defense this year as he is always given the other teams best offensive player to cover and does a stellar job. That doesn't even include the fact he has improved his handle for the second straight year and his passing is way better. He is making the right pass, on the money, almost every time he drives and is closed off for a layups.

Brown has been inconsistent but he has had to adjust more than any other player on the team. He went from a #1 or #2 offensive option last year to a #5 offensive option this year. But the kid is loaded with untapped potential. You don't trade him because he hasn't played like a superstar 15 games into this season. That's a hoorble over reaction move and one Danny Ainge would never make.

Precisely.

Oops.  Yes, rozier the other guy.  As for brown, we’ll come to a point soon where youth will no longer be used as a crutch for him.  His basketball IQ is crazy bad.  That’s not a good sign for a star.

You keep saying over and over again that Brown's BBIQ is low but just because you say it over and over again doesn't make it true. If his BBIQ was so low he would never have emerged as one of the best defenders in the league at 22. If his IQ was so low his handle and passing wouldn't have improved anywhere near that it has since his rookie year. If his IQ was so low he wouldn't be the best cutter to the basket off the ball on the team. If his IQ was so low he wouldn't be making the proper defensive switches nearly every time. Brown's BBIQ is just fine if not very good.