Author Topic: Celtics Fans... Opinion Needed!!!  (Read 2478 times)

Celtics Fans... Opinion Needed!!!
« on: June 09, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »

Offline Jloyola

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Okay alot of people are claiming bad officiating.. blah blah blah.. Im a REAL Laker fan

I admit there were a few bad calls (non calls), but the refs are HUMAN. I never blame refs for loses

My question to Celtic Fans is do you believe the Series will go 6 or more likely a 7 game series due to officiating or other factors?

Re: Celtics Fans... Opinion Needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Well, I don't have huge expectations for Game 3.  Obviously the C's win that one it's over.  I'd say if the Lakers can win Game 3 I can see it coming back to Boston.  I fully expect the Celtics to take at least one out there though.  I'll stick with my original Celts in 6 prediction, but they have a golden opportunity to stick a fork in the Lakers in Game 3.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:27:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I've been predicting 5 or less since the series began, so no reason to change now.  I just think the Celts match up way too well with the Lakers.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
 in 4 games and back to celebrate

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I originally predicted 5, six maximum, but now feel very strongly that it will be accomplished in 4, 5 at the max.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 05:39:07 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Okay alot of people are claiming bad officiating.. blah blah blah.. Im a REAL Laker fan

I admit there were a few bad calls (non calls), but the refs are HUMAN. I never blame refs for loses

My question to Celtic Fans is do you believe the Series will go 6 or more likely a 7 game series due to officiating or other factors?

Without outside interference, I would expect 5 or 6 games (of course, Celts win).  I honestly think that where it matters the Celtics are a better team.

I'll be curious to see how it turns out.  Laker fans and Celtics fans have seen some good calls, some bad calls and some jawdropping calls during the playoffs.  Both teams are affected by them, and in any game it's often one team more affected than the other.

Last night's game was no exception.  Media types cite the disparity as proof that the officiating was biased.  I saw missed calls going both ways.  But I also saw Boston's Powe and Pierce virtually guaranteeing contact with their offensive play.  Think Pierce's "travel" when he tried to get under the defender.  That was only one instance.  The Celts earned most of their trips to the line.  I didn't see the Lakers doing anything as likely to get themselves to the line.

So yeah, I'll continue to watch the officiating with curiosity.  However I think that a team complaining about officiating is flat out ignoring what they need to do to ready themselves for the next game.  In that regard, the Celts need to ready themselves to weather the backlash LA fans are trying to generate.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »

Offline Jloyola

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Do you think the Lakers will get favorable calls to stretch the game to 6-7 games??

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Do you think the Lakers will get favorable calls to stretch the game to 6-7 games??

I think they'll get their share of home cooking, especially in Game 3.  Officials have just shown too strong a trend to favor the home team.  That being said, officiating is almost always something that can be overcome.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I expect the Celts to continue to get the majority of the FT attempts.  If LA had decent perimeter defense or didn't allow so many Offensive boards, they wouldn't be forced to foul so often.

On the other side of the ball, the Lakers aren't forcing the issue and are taking mostly contetested jump shots.  They need to get the ball to Gasol early and often if they expect to even out the FT attempts.  He looked unstoppable in the 1st, but then they went away from him..  And Kobe can't expect to get to the line if he can only get into the lane 2 or 3 times a night.  Sorry but don't expect to be bailed out on the turnaround fade from 18'.  

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
I originally was hoping for a game 7 series really. A series full of drama and longivity simply to watch great Bball being played with the Cs eventually winning of course; However, I never imagined the weakness of the Lakers lack of defense as well as the strenth of our own. Should this continue I really see very little possibility of the series returning to Boston, unfortunatly :(

Hopefully some help at the Staples by the refs by early fouls against Perk and Garnett as well as Kobe taking it to the rim more than 5 times a game may extend the series for the clincher in Boston in six is my best hopes for an extended series :)

I'm sure the Zen master will put Kobe on Pierce before its all over and start Sasha as well as other tweaks yet to be seen too. So, let's hope it gets more competitive back at Staples where your guys can shoot some FTs, etc...
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I tend to agree with D Dub. I think the more questionable calls will go the Lakers way in Game 3, but even so, if the teams play with the same aggression they played with in Game 2, the Celtics will still have an advantage on the FT line even if more calls go to the Lakers. Last night was 38-10 I think. Without any questionable calls, based on the game played, that probably becomes something like 35-17 (Kobe should have gotten to the line a couple more times, maybe Powe gets 10 instead of 13 FTs). Bottom line, the free throw difference was not just referees, it was helped because the Lakers weren't aggressive.

If the Lakers get those borderline/dubious calls, that 35-17 would probably switch to something like 28-25, but still in favor of the Celtics. We just get the ball in the post more, and while Kobe is certainly a better offensive player than Ray Allen is a defender (talk about understatement), Allen is staying in front of Kobe, while, on the other side, Radmanovic cannot stay in front of Pierce. Plus, when Kobe does get by Allen, our help defense is always waiting for him outside the paint. The same is not true when Pierce blows by Radmanovic - he gets to the lane, where a foul is more likely to be called.

Unless the Lakers can remedy that - get Odom and Gasol more involved, for one, which might open up more space for Kobe to get into the paint - the free throw advantage will stay with the Celtics. Their game plan needs to change, namely, they need to be more aggressive offensively. And Radmanovic should be removed - he's just a bad matchup in this series. The Lakers would be better served giving more playing time to Walton, Ariza, and even going 3 guards by throwing in Vujacic or Farmar with Fisher and Kobe, letting Kobe stay in front of Pierce (though this may help the Celtics too, as Pierce can conceivably sap Kobe's energy. Kobe's a strong guy but Pierce is bigger and stronger).

Bottom line, every team has weaknesses. The fact is, the Celtics are able to exploit the Lakers' weaknesses - rebounding and defense, particularly stopping penetration - in a way no team other than Utah could during the Lakers' playoff run. Factor in that Boston can play defense much better than Utah and the 2-0 lead is no surprise. I expect the Lakers to adjust well and win at least 2 games in LA by emphasizing their offensive versatility. But they really need to win 3. I think they take 2, the Celtics take 1, and finish it off in 6. But LA has 3 home games to take a lot of momentum if they rise to the challenge.

Incidentally, I don't think it will be as good for LA if the refs hand them game three. They need to win a game on their own to get their confidence back up.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 06:13:40 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I predicted 6, and that the 4 wins would be in games 1, 2, 4, 6... I'm standing by that.

I think Lakers win Game 3 on the emotional high of being home and desperation of not falling to 0-3.
Celtics win Game 4 in a battle.
Lakers win Game 5 to avoid being ousted at home.
Celtics return home and win Game 6 on their home floor and for their home crowd.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 07:12:12 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
I thought about 6. The Celts will typically come out lazy and aloof in game 3 and get hammered. This has been their M.O. for awhile now. They know they can handle the Fakers now. It's just a matter of when. The Celts are the better team. The Media did it's best to keep it close but in reality it isn't close. We have the best defense in the League and an offense that can pile it on almost at will. Not to mention 3 Stars that on any given nite can kick ass big time. This will be a short Dynasty however. So enjoy the ride.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 07:14:26 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I agree with Big Ticket, lakers will get home cooking and win game 3, but I think we win this series in 6.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!