Author Topic: Tom Thib Staying?  (Read 9791 times)

Re: Tom Thib Staying?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 09:21:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
For the good of his own career I think Tom T should move on. If he won't get enough recognition here. He needs to keep moving to strengthen his case for a promotion. Keep increasing his reputation around the league.

He's killed his career so far by working so long under JVG. He can't make the same mistake twice. It's not like he's working for Popovich or someone with connections around the league here, it's bloody Doc Rivers and a front office that I don't think is likely to sprout off any more future GMs in the immediate future (like SAS - Ferry, Presti). He needs to go somewhere else and make more friends in the league.

The fact that he hasn't been offered a head coaching job isn't a surprise. I thought it was a long shot that anyone would hire him as a head coach.

But he is getting the recognition here.  Haven't you noticed that most give him credit for the great defense and not Doc?  His being recognized is the reason he's being mentioned for a coaching job.
Where's the job offer?

Where's the teams waiting for the Celtics playoff run to end in order to interview him?

He's been mentioned for head coaching vacancies for a decade. Several people thought he was the frontrunner for the Knicks when JVG resigned but the brass there weren't wild about him and they went with Chaney.

It's not happening.

He has to drill it into people's minds. He can't do that if he's working at only one spot. He needs to move again and show it's not luck, it's not the Celtics personnel, I'm good and can make teams better. Look at this guy, he'll give me a good reference. Now this guy. You respect his opinion, ask him for a reference.

It's not working for Tom. The Celtics defense was extraordinary this season. The recognition he got from fans and the media has been extraordinary this season. Nearly every beat writer lists him as an early candidate for every job. Well he didn't get any job offers and he didn't come close to getting any job offers. How is he going to top this season? Do it again? Think that'll help give him more credit than he's getting right now? I don't see it making a huge difference.

Look back at Houston. Tom T got a lot of credit down there and nationally. He was one of the most interviewed assistant coaches out there. He got credit for their defense and Yao Ming's development (not Patrick Ewing). Nothing has changed for him.

He needs to continue to establish himself in different locations with different rosters working under different head coaches. I firmly believe that's his single best chance to earning a head coaching job in this league. I don't see anything changing in the immediate future for his prospects if he stays with the Celtics.

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Tell me something

We're 12 months down the road. You're the GM, you're sitting in your chair and you're thinking about hiring your new coach, remember you didn't hire Thibodeau last season. Why are you now considering hiring him?

What has he proven in the those 12 months that he hasn't shown already in his career and this past season in Boston.

Like I mean he did absolutely everything right. He accomplished a great deal in here in Boston and recieved a massive amount of media attention and recognition for his work for an assistant coach ... and it wasn't good enough.

What can he do in the next 12 months with the Boston Celtics to convince you to hire him as your Head Coach?

I can't think of a single new thing that he can do. Look at where Boston are, look at their roster and their accomplishments. What can Tom Thibodeau prove here next season that he hasn't already shown this past season?

It wasn't good enough. The Celtics aren't going to change. The personnel isn't going to change. Doc isn't going to change. Nothing in his immediate surroundings in Boston is going to change. How is he going to convince a GM to change their mind if nothing changes?

The only thing in his power to change is where he works. That's the only way he can change the story and give that GM something new to admire about him. You get a lot of extra attention when you have more people/new people beaming about your qualities as a coach. That's what he has to do, the best way for Tom to further his career is to move on to a new team and repeat the feat there. Prove and re-prove his qualities, show it wasn't all on the playing personnel.

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 10:00:45 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I just find it mind-blowing that teams like the Bulls, Suns, and Pistons are giving the likes of Vinny Del Negro, Terry Porter, and Michael Curry shots at head coaching jobs before a certified defensive genius like Thibodeau.  Thankfully for the C's, these teams are fools. 

With GMs of teams hiring coaches with little regard to the defensive of the ball, it's little wonder that so many so-called experts picked the defenseless Lakers to trounce the defensive-minded Celtics. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:21:45 PM by Jon »

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:03 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
I just find it mind-blowing that teams like the Bulls, Suns, and Pistons are giving the likes of Vinny Del Negro, Terry Porter, and Michael Curry shots at head coaching jobs before a certified defensive genius like Thibodeau.  Thankfully for the C's, these teams are fools. 

With GMs of teams hiring coaches with little regard to the defensive of the ball, it's little wonder that so many so-called experts picked the defenseless Lakers to trounce the defensive-minded Celtics. 

so true. Also the nba is sadly a political game on top of being a business game. The refs know vinny del negro, michael curry, terry porter or heard of them when they were players. Its like your first job being a customer service rep and climbming up in the ladder, you understand the whole prcoess. (so the refs believe)

Phoenix might feel thibadeau might not help the phoenix team get those one or two calls that could mean a win or a loss.

Atlantas gm sund would be a genius if he fired woodson, waited till the finals are done and make an offer to thibadeau. Atlanta out of anything right now needs to be a good defensive team to be a real decent team

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 11:44:59 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
Just curious but has Thibodeau ever said he wanted to be a head coach?

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 11:48:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Just curious but has Thibodeau ever said he wanted to be a head coach?

Not sure, but the way Doc and Van Gundy have been lobbying for him, I think  it is pretty clear that he does...they wouldn't be doing that if it wasn't a goal of his.

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 12:08:05 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Give Thibodeau last year's Celtics crew and they'd have still been the worst defensive team in the NBA.

Do you really believe this? Do you really believe that we would be anywhere near the worst defensive team in the league with KG and Posey being picked up?

That is absurd hyperbole.

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 12:20:34 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, if Thibodeau gets a head coaching job somewhere, Rivers is going to look alot dumber in a hurry.

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 12:47:18 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Well, if Thibodeau gets a head coaching job somewhere, Rivers is going to look alot dumber in a hurry.

Or a lot of posters will look a lot dumber. ;)