Author Topic: Tom Thib Staying?  (Read 9784 times)

Tom Thib Staying?
« on: June 09, 2008, 04:45:43 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but with Vinny del Negro being offered the Bulls job and Terry Porter the Suns job, aren't all head coaching vacancies now filled?

I'd expect Thib would get a handsome extension offer from the Celtics if he indeed is to remain an assistant coach.  Like... highest paid assistant in the league handsome.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Tom Thib Staying?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, you never know what could fall through, but as of right now, there don't appear to be a lot of options for TT.

He's a free agent, though, and could sign on to be any other team's defensive assistant.  That scares me, because there's always the chance of a team like the Knicks offering $3 million per season, or some other ridiculous figure.  Still, I think he'll stay.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Yeah, you never know what could fall through, but as of right now, there don't appear to be a lot of options for TT.

He's a free agent, though, and could sign on to be any other team's defensive assistant.  That scares me, because there's always the chance of a team like the Knicks offering $3 million per season, or some other ridiculous figure.  Still, I think he'll stay.

Yeah, the reason I would hope the Celtics offer a handsome extension is to keep him away from lucrative offers elsewhere.

Who knows, if he really wants to be a head coach, he might go somewhere in need of a defensive makeover with the hipes of working his magic yet again to make people notice.  Or maybe take a job with a head coach in the hot seat for a built in possible opening.

A lot can happen, but it's at least nice to know he won't be moving to a head coaching position this offseason.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but with Vinny del Negro being offered the Bulls job and Terry Porter the Suns job, aren't all head coaching vacancies now filled?

I'd expect Thib would get a handsome extension offer from the Celtics if he indeed is to remain an assistant coach.  Like... highest paid assistant in the league handsome.
BT,im not sure if you are saying that you know that T.Porter is the new head coach of the Suns or not,but i saw it in a press conference a few hour ago on NBA.TV...S.Kerr and T.Porter were in a press conference,where Kerr was giving info on the details,etc.,etc. TPorter is the new Suns head coach,but they are still interviewing candidates for assistant(s).

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 04:56:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
For the good of his own career I think Tom T should move on. If he won't get enough recognition here. He needs to keep moving to strengthen his case for a promotion. Keep increasing his reputation around the league.

He's killed his career so far by working so long under JVG. He can't make the same mistake twice. It's not like he's working for Popovich or someone with connections around the league here, it's bloody Doc Rivers and a front office that I don't think is likely to sprout off any more future GMs in the immediate future (like SAS - Ferry, Presti). He needs to go somewhere else and make more friends in the league.

The fact that he hasn't been offered a head coaching job isn't a surprise. I thought it was a long shot that anyone would hire him as a head coach.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

BT,im not sure if you are saying that you know that T.Porter is the new head coach of the Suns or not,but i saw it in a press conference a few hour ago on NBA.TV...S.Kerr and T.Porter were in a press conference,where Kerr was giving info on the details,etc.,etc. TPorter is the new Suns head coach,but they are still interviewing candidates for assistant(s).

In his case, when I said offered, I meant done deal.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
For the good of his own career I think Tom T should move on. If he won't get enough recognition here. He needs to keep moving to strengthen his case for a promotion. Keep increasing his reputation around the league.

He's killed his career so far by working so long under JVG. He can't make the same mistake twice. It's not like he's working for Popovich or someone with connections around the league here, it's bloody Doc Rivers and a front office that I don't think is likely to sprout off any more future GMs in the immediate future (like SAS - Ferry, Presti). He needs to go somewhere else and make more friends in the league.

The fact that he hasn't been offered a head coaching job isn't a surprise. I thought it was a long shot that anyone would hire him as a head coach.

Ever ponder if he enjoys working with our vets, enjoys our community, enjoys our atmosphere, and is simply all about the hardware?
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Ever ponder if he enjoys working with our vets, enjoys our community, enjoys our atmosphere, and is simply all about the hardware?
He's said several times that he wants to be a Head Coach. That's his goal. He's been trying to get a head coaching gig for several years now.

Boston was only meant to be a stepping stone for Tom T, that's why he only signed a one year deal.

If he changes his mind or has changed his mind and decided being an assistant coach in a good situation is what he wants ... then great ... he has that right here. I don't for a second believe he has. His passion for becoming a head coach has been far too great in the past for me to believe he's giving up on that dream.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
.....Or maybe take a job with a head coach in the hot seat for a built in possible opening.

I think that was the case when he took this job actually.  If he stays put, I'm sure he'll be in line for something next year as I don't think this team is going to decline any defensively unless Posey decides to go elsewhere.

I'm kind of surprised Thibideau hasn't been a hot commodity.  A guy like Terry Porter doesn't exactly create a buzz with the fan base when you look at past performance. 

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
.....Or maybe take a job with a head coach in the hot seat for a built in possible opening.

I think that was the case when he took this job actually.  If he stays put, I'm sure he'll be in line for something next year as I don't think this team is going to decline any defensively unless Posey decides to go elsewhere.

I'm kind of surprised Thibideau hasn't been a hot commodity.  A guy like Terry Porter doesn't exactly create a buzz with the fan base when you look at past performance. 

There is something to be said for an ex-player or past head coach with a good reputation.  A huge portion of head coaching is connecting with and motivating your players.  That's a big reason why Flip was fired.  He was unable to do that because of a certain 7 footer with the personality of a 7 year old. 

Maybe GM's aren't comfortable going out on a limb and giving Thib the control and responsibility that goes with being a head coach - something beyond being a great strategist or defensive guru.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think that was the case when he took this job actually.   

Haha, yep me too. That's exactly what I was thinking when he signed on. Trying to pull a Randy Wittman on his head coach.

It's not a bad strategy either. Worth trying again. The only way the head coach doesn't lose his job is if he does a great job in which case Tom T gets a bunch of the credit, especially when coupled with Boston's up turn.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I think that was the case when he took this job actually.   

Haha, yep me too. That's exactly what I was thinking when he signed on. Trying to pull a Randy Wittman on his head coach.

It's not a bad strategy either. Worth trying again. The only way the head coach doesn't lose his job is if he does a great job in which case Tom T gets a bunch of the credit, especially when coupled with Boston's up turn.

Quite the hedging strategy.... and please don't bring up Randy Whittman.  I'm trying to enjoy KG's success in these playoffs... remembering Whitt and the like just hurts.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 05:31:18 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
So far it's Porter (Phoenix), Del Negro (Chicago), Skiles (Milwaukee), Carlisle (Dallas) and Curry (Detroit)

But have the Hawks confirmed that Mike Woodson is coming back?

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
So far it's Porter (Phoenix), Del Negro (Chicago), Skiles (Milwaukee), Carlisle (Dallas) and Curry (Detroit)

The only hiring I like out of that group is Skiles.  Milwaukee might be a good place for him.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

No, new Hawks GM Sund hasn't confirmed Woodson's future yet.

Mike Woodson has to get fired. He's an awful Head Coach. Sund is an idiot though, so all bets are off.