Author Topic: Kyrie Irving currently leads EC guards in All-Star fan voting  (Read 6621 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving currently leads EC guards in All-Star fan voting
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Did they release the player and media votes?
I didn't know they released that info.

They do because every year some ridiculous guys get player votes. They're anonymous though.
Our very own Walt Lemon got 1 ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 08:51:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 09:02:07 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:08:18 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2019, 09:11:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
People criticize the fan vote, but are the players that much better?  For instance, look at this from the Knicks:

Kevin Knox, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Emmanuel Mudiay each received two votes from players in the vote for All-Star starters. Enes Kanter, Mario Hezonja, Noah Vonleh, Mitchell Robinson and Lance Thomas each received one vote from players. Player votes accounted for 25 percent of the total tally.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2019, 09:37:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Strange that given their seasons, Brown appeared to be held in higher regard than Smart.

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
People criticize the fan vote, but are the players that much better?  For instance, look at this from the Knicks:

Kevin Knox, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Emmanuel Mudiay each received two votes from players in the vote for All-Star starters. Enes Kanter, Mario Hezonja, Noah Vonleh, Mitchell Robinson and Lance Thomas each received one vote from players. Player votes accounted for 25 percent of the total tally.

I love looking at the vote results, you can tell which teams stick together, especially for players with between 10-15 votes.

Looks like the Indiana players only all voted for each other for frontcourt players (edit - actually for all players see my math at bottom).

I bet all of Philly voted for Redick (14 votes), all of Brooklyn voted for Dinwiddle/Russell/Allen, etc.

PJ Dozier with 3!

I bet every team probably gets about 70 votes (14 players * 5 votes), maybe more if 2 way players vote.  It be interesting to see how many teams get close to that 70 vote mark spread between all their players.   Whose the most tight-knit teams (capping any one player's vote total at like 14-15 per) vs which teams with the fewest overall votes.

Somebody will probably do that math and get to the front page of reddit.

For instance, Indiana has 14 regular roster players, so they probably cast 70 total votes (14 * 5).  Oladipo deserving, has 58 votes, but 11 other Pacers players also received 56 votes.  So capping Oladipo at 14, and adding all the other Indiana players votes together gets them to 70.  Coincidence?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:46:19 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 10:23:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, even if Kyrie isn't entirely well-respected on this forum, he sure is well-respected by the fans, media, and players. 

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 10:29:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
They really need to bar players from voting for their teammates.  I might even make it so they can only vote for the opposite conference (so they don't fudge the votes for their teammates).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2019, 10:47:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This is why I think it's dumb when fans vote for other teams players

The all star game is a popularity contest first and foremost. Your vote will never change that. That being said, your vote for another teams player makes it significantly less likely any celtic makes the all star roster

Even the players understand this. That's why they vote for their own teams only  for the most part

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2019, 11:54:12 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
Since I'm avoiding my real work projects right now, let's look at player vote numbers! Without taking the time to look at every team's roster, I just made a blanket cap assuming 14 players per team, so the max votes you can get from your teammates is 14, and the max votes possible for your team would be 70.  This is how the numbers look doing that:

PHI    75
GSW    74
MIL    72
OKC    71
IND    70
MIN    68
LAC    60
DAL    59
BOS    57
BKN    54
TOR    54
ORL    51
LAL    51
SAS    48
HOU    46
CHI    45
POR    45
DET    45
SAC    41
PHX    41
MEM    41
WAS    37
DEN    35
NOP    34
UTA    33
CHA    33
MIA    31
ATL    27
CLE    19
NYK    11
no team    11  (Carmelo - 7, Ron Baker -2, MarShon Brooks - 1, Walt Lemon - 1)

Obviously not a perfect science, tons of room for error, like how I assumed 14 players per team voted (which would equal 4,200 total votes = 14 * 30 * 10), but only 3,640 player votes were cast for 12.13 players per team (3,640 / 30 / 10 = 12.13), but interesting to look at nonetheless.  You can get an idea of the teams that definitely voted for each other, mostly voted for each other, and didn't vote for each other.

Mix of good teams (and MIN) at the top.  Interesting to see the top 5 East teams all stuck together, on the flip side out West you have GSW and OKC at the top, but Denver in the bottom 3rd.

And if anybody wanted to see the numbers before I adjusted them:

GSW    377
MIL    334
PHI    313
TOR    255
BOS    238
LAL    211
OKC    207
HOU    191
NOP    157
CHA    117
IND    114
DEN    103
MIN    92
SAS    89
DAL    88
DET    88
WAS    85
POR    62
LAC    62
MIA    58
BKN    56
ORL    54
PHX    53
CHI    48
MEM    46
SAC    41
UTA    33
ATL    27
CLE    19
NYK    11
no team    11

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2019, 07:34:09 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Does this mean that Tatum is an All Star? Or how does the voting for the reserves work?

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2019, 08:29:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Does this mean that Tatum is an All Star? Or how does the voting for the reserves work?

Well, he’s in the skills challenge at least:

It will be a full weekend for Celtics forward Jayson Tatum at All-Star Weekend in Charlotte, as he was invited to and will participate in the Skills Challenge during the Saturday session, according to an NBA source. Tatum, 20, is also expected to participate in the Rising Stars Challenge on Feb. 15 at Charlotte’s Spectrum Center. The invitation for Tatum to the Skills Challenge is a sign of respect for his ascension in the league. – via Boston Globe

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2019, 08:51:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

It will be a full weekend for Celtics forward Jayson Tatum at All-Star Weekend in Charlotte, as he was invited to and will participate in the Skills Challenge during the Saturday session, according to an NBA source. Tatum, 20, is also expected to participate in the Rising Stars Challenge on Feb. 15 at Charlotte’s Spectrum Center. The invitation for Tatum to the Skills Challenge is a sign of respect for his ascension in the league. – via Boston Globe
If he plays in the Rising Star game, then he isn't an all star because I don't think he plays in both those games and does the skill challenge.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

If he plays in the Rising Star game, then he isn't an all star because I don't think he plays in both those games and does the skill challenge.

I believe Embiid did all 3 last year, so it's a possibility.

And Blake Griffin did 3 events (dunk contest, Rising Stars, All-Star game) in 2011.

Derrick Rose was selected to 3 events in 2010, but chose to sit out the Rising Stars game after he was selected an All-Star).

I don't think Tatum will be selected an All-Star, but it could happen.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:45:34 AM by bdm860 »

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Coaches vote for reserves so he it's highly unlikely he's an all-star.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman