Author Topic: Rumor: Terry to the hornets  (Read 6360 times)

Re: Rumor: Terry to the hornets
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2019, 11:44:52 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
I know Rozier gets a lot of crap on this board.  But looking at that 2015 draft, he's one of the very few drafted before him that had not already been cut or traded until now.

1   Minnesota   Karl-Anthony Towns
2    LA Lakers      D'Angelo Russell - TRADED
3    Philadelphia   Jahlil Okafor - TRADED   
4    New York      Kristaps Porzingis - TRADED
5    Orlando      Mario Hezonja - TRADED
6    Sacramento   Willie Cauley-Stein - NOT RESIGNED
7    Denver      Emmanuel Mudiay - TRADED
8    Detroit      Stanley Johnson   - NOT RESIGNED
9    Charlotte      Frank Kaminsky - TRADED
10    Miami    Justise Winslow
11    Indiana   Myles Turner

12    Utah      Trey Lyles - TRADED   
13    Phoenix   Devin Booker   
14    Oklahoma City   Cameron Payne - TRADED
15    Washington   Kelly Oubre - TRADED      
16    Boston      Terry Rozier . [Will be traded July 6th]

Looking in the rear view, the Rozier pick doesn't look too bad.  Sure he had a bad season this year, the whole team did.  But the post season of 2018 he was a nice asset. 

And him getting $19MM/yr from Charlottes isn't too shabby.
just makes me realize there were a lot of projected studs in that draft that are a lot closer to duds. 

not being traded doesn't mean much.  for example, is there anyone who wouldn't take Zinger over Rozier despite the fact Zinger's been traded?  I know the Knicks would love to have a healthy Zinger on their roster right now.

I thought about that point too, but there's something to be said about guys who, while better talents than Rozier, presented a problem of some sort or asked to be traded.

Terry never asked to be traded, but to play more, or get the chance to start.  We were considering re-signing him if the Kemba deal didn't fall into our laps.

A happy Terry could have existed here next year, which is different from a disgruntled Porzingas-- although that isn't his fault either as everyone on the Knicks should be disgruntled.

A case could be made that after:

Towns
Russell
Porzingas
Booker

...that Terry is favorably compared talent-wise to these other guys picked before him:

Miles Turner
Kelly Oubre

I wouldn't say that any other player on that list was definitely a better talent/asset than Rozier.  He's at best the 5-8th best (current) talent from that list.  But no worse than the 11th.  A solid pick by Danny and development of the player by the staff.
I really don't get how you can talk about how some of those guys presented problems, but gloss over Rozier's toxic presence this last season as "wanting to play more"

It also seems weird to me that when people are talking about how Terry was a solid pick they look at those taken ahead of him. What I'm more interested in are the players taken after him, as there are lots who I would rather Danny have taken (some at the time, many in hindsight).

Portis, RHJ, Nance, Harrell, Osman, Willy Hernangomez, Richardson, and Connaughton were all taken after him and I would have preferred all.

Rozier had a "toxic presence?"  Ha, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.

To clarify, when I said "presented a problem" I was referring to things like Porzingas' court case for alleged sexual assault.  While that may not be true, it wasn't the best look.

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2019, 11:54:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I know Rozier gets a lot of crap on this board.  But looking at that 2015 draft, he's one of the very few drafted before him that had not already been cut or traded until now.

Looking in the rear view, the Rozier pick doesn't look too bad.  Sure he had a bad season this year, the whole team did.  But the post season of 2018 he was a nice asset. 

just makes me realize there were a lot of projected studs in that draft that are a lot closer to duds. 

not being traded doesn't mean much.  for example, is there anyone who wouldn't take Zinger over Rozier despite the fact Zinger's been traded?  I know the Knicks would love to have a healthy Zinger on their roster right now.

I thought about that point too, but there's something to be said about guys who, while better talents than Rozier, presented a problem of some sort or asked to be traded.

Terry never asked to be traded, but to play more, or get the chance to start.  We were considering re-signing him if the Kemba deal didn't fall into our laps.

A happy Terry could have existed here next year, which is different from a disgruntled Porzingas-- although that isn't his fault either as everyone on the Knicks should be disgruntled.

Towns
Russell
Porzingas
Booker

...that Terry is favorably compared talent-wise to these other guys picked before him:

Miles Turner
Kelly Oubre

I wouldn't say that any other player on that list was definitely a better talent/asset than Rozier.  He's at best the 5-8th best (current) talent from that list.  But no worse than the 11th.  A solid pick by Danny and development of the player by the staff.
I really don't get how you can talk about how some of those guys presented problems, but gloss over Rozier's toxic presence this last season as "wanting to play more"

It also seems weird to me that when people are talking about how Terry was a solid pick they look at those taken ahead of him. What I'm more interested in are the players taken after him, as there are lots who I would rather Danny have taken (some at the time, many in hindsight).

Portis, RHJ, Nance, Harrell, Osman, Willy Hernangomez, Richardson, and Connaughton were all taken after him and I would have preferred all.

Portis was deadline dumped and then his new team chose not to match what NY offered him, which was less than Terry got.  RHJ wasn’t even given a QO and is still unsigned.  Nance is a rotation big, nothing more, nothing less.  Hernangomez was a 10th man on a worse team and struggled to separate himself from Biyombo.  Osman looked promising in limited minutes on a good team, but less so in heavy minutes on a bad team.  Connaughton a 3&D guy who shoots worse from 3 than Rozier.  Harrell and Richardson have both been good, but 16th picks are almost always outplayed by 1 or 2 of the 30 second rounders who are selected after them, because that’s just how it works when it’s one against 30.

Honestly, your evaluation is questionable at best, and ignores the fact that the one time Rozier was given an extended starting role he outplayed every single one of those guys by significant margins, except maybe Harrell this year, and comparing big to PGs is always a fraught exercise.

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2019, 11:56:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Towns
Russell
Porzingas
Booker

Miles Turner
Kelly Oubre

Portis was deadline dumped and then his new team chose not to match what NY offered him, which was less than Terry got.  RHJ wasn’t even given a QO and is still unsigned.  Nance is a rotation big, nothing more, nothing less.  Hernangomez was a 10th man on a worse team and struggled to separate himself from Biyombo.  Osman looked promising in limited minutes on a good team, but less so in heavy minutes on a bad team.  Connaughton a 3&D guy who shoots worse from 3 than Rozier.  Harrell and Richardson have both been good, but 16th picks are almost always outplayed by 1 or 2 of the 30 second rounders who are selected after them, because that’s just how it works when it’s one against 30.

Honestly, your evaluation is questionable at best, and ignores the fact that the one time Rozier was given an extended starting role he outplayed every single one of those guys by significant margins, except maybe Harrell this year, and comparing big to PGs is always a fraught exercise.
I know you like Rozier, but I don't think being a very inefficient and inconsistent 15-5-5 PG in a point guard geared team is impressive at all, and I'm glad Rozier is someone else's problem. For my mind perhaps the worst contract so far this free agency period
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2019, 12:12:00 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

Towns
Russell
Porzingas
Booker

Miles Turner
Kelly Oubre

I know you like Rozier, but I don't think being a very inefficient and inconsistent 15-5-5 PG in a point guard geared team is impressive at all, and I'm glad Rozier is someone else's problem. For my mind perhaps the worst contract so far this free agency period

It's not about "liking" Rozier.  The discussion is about how to value him as an asset.  In that sense, Salty is 100% correct in terms of the players he detailed.

Whether Rozier is worth $19MM/yr is another subject, and one I agree with you on!  $15MM/yr might have been the highest I could see Danny matching in an RFA situation if we weren't acquiring Walker.