Poll

Should the C's trade Smart + filler for Capela?

Yes
20 (22.7%)
No
58 (65.9%)
Maybe
10 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Poll: Should the C's trade Smart for Capela?  (Read 7503 times)

Re: Poll: Should the C's trade Smart for Capela?
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don’t think the Cs would do it. I honestly don’t see how Capella gets traded to Boston. I think that’s all smoke n mirrors. I think the Cs sign Kemba and then use vet deals and room exception to fill out big man spot and any remaining positions.
I am ok with all that.  We know we aren't a contender this year.
Not a legit contender but Cs are probably in the 4-6 range in the East. I just don’t understand why everyone thinks the Cs need to spend big bucks on a big man. Maybe if this was the 90s. They can find decent big men for cheap using the vet deals and the MLE.

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd rather not.  Capela can literally do one thing on offense, catch lobs.  That's it.

Smart is an infinitely more valuable player.

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2019, 10:04:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don’t think the Cs would do it. I honestly don’t see how Capella gets traded to Boston. I think that’s all smoke n mirrors. I think the Cs sign Kemba and then use vet deals and room exception to fill out big man spot and any remaining positions.

Maybe you think that, but I don't.

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2019, 10:07:35 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

So you think Kemba - Brown - Tatum - Hayward - Capella has a decent chance to win the east?

what is your definition of contending?  I think that team is probably 4th or if lucky 3rd in the east.
Probably about where we were this year.  I guess some of that comes down to KL coming back to Toronto but still...

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2019, 10:20:10 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I would rather trade Brown.

I think if there's a deal, it will be Brown. Aren't both in a contract year this year?

Ainge likes Smart too much to deal him. He's the toughness. And has a nice friendly contract.

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2019, 10:32:31 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I think if there's a deal, it will be Brown. Aren't both in a contract year this year?

Ainge likes Smart too much to deal him. He's the toughness. And has a nice friendly contract.

If smart doesn’t get traded, I doubt it’s because Ainge likes him. DA is a cold blooded trader. It’d have to be because of his productivity given his salary.

- LilRip

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2019, 10:35:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

So you think Kemba - Brown - Tatum - Hayward - Capella has a decent chance to win the east?

what is your definition of contending?  I think that team is probably 4th or if lucky 3rd in the east.
Probably about where we were this year.  I guess some of that comes down to KL coming back to Toronto but still...

People are underrating what this team could be based on last year’s results. While we definitely need a competent big in addition to Kemba, I see that team as being better than last year due to fitting better and giving more space to the Jays and Hayward to do their thing.

Also think people sleep on how much better of a fit Kemba is. Specifically, Kemba’s greater ability to get past his man and into the lane will open up a lot of offense for us. While Kyrie was good at getting past his man, too, he relied on his ballhandling instead of his speed to get by his man, which took longer and stalled the offense and ball movement. I think Kemba’s penetration will be a significant upgrade for us offensively, let alone his penchant for getting to the line more.

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2019, 10:37:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

People are underrating what this team could be based on last year’s results. While we definitely need a competent big in addition to Kemba, I see that team as being better than last year due to fitting better and giving more space to the Jays and Hayward to do their thing.

Also think people sleep on how much better of a fit Kemba is. Specifically, Kemba’s greater ability to get past his man and into the lane will open up a lot of offense for us. While Kyrie was good at getting past his man, too, he relied on his ballhandling instead of his speed to get by his man, which took longer and stalled the offense and ball movement. I think Kemba’s penetration will be a significant upgrade for us offensively, let alone his penchant for getting to the line more.

So what do you think?  Are we a contender for the east with adding Kemba and Capela?  IE top 3 finish in the regular season and make the ECF.

Maybe I am underestimating the ceiling for that team.

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2019, 10:50:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

So what do you think?  Are we a contender for the east with adding Kemba and Capela?  IE top 3 finish in the regular season and make the ECF.

I don't think so.  At the end of the day true top end talent wins and that team doesn't have any true top end talent (same as this year btw). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2019, 12:02:06 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Tp for you gpap.  Celtics win it all this year.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2019, 12:16:35 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!

Obviously depends on what happens to Philly, Milwaukee, and Toronto. Tatum and/or Hayward need to up their games next season regardless to be in that conversation though.

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2019, 12:18:20 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Yes, we are a contender with adding Kemba and Capela (or another center.) And I'd much rather be a contender than wasting the season.

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2019, 12:23:48 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Agree, Brown is the one we should trade, too big ego, not humble, confront with your star player when coming from bench, openly disagreed with GM&Coach's decision, not focusing enough on and off the court

If he ever reached his potential he can be another DH/Cousins/Westbrook
on another team

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2019, 12:24:15 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Earlier in this thread, I expressed reluctance to trade Marcus only because he's our longest tenured player and feel we need at least some consistency.

I'd rather trade Jaylen Brown for a center and like the idea someone mentioned about trading Brown for Sabonis. However, the more I think about it, if I had to deal Smart for Capela, I'd do it.

It's alot harder to find a starting center than it is a back-up point guard and we desperately need a center.

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2019, 12:25:23 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Yes, we are a contender with adding Kemba and Capela (or another center.) And I'd much rather be a contender than wasting the season.

Same. But I think we’re a contender if Tatum makes the leap. We’re a tough 2nd round opponent if he doesn’t. I don’t think Kemba-Hayward is enough to win a championship.

- LilRip