Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics reportedly trying to be 3rd team in 76ers/Rockets trade  (Read 16157 times)

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Is giving up Smart in exchange for Capela really a major improvement?

Smart seems pretty vital, especially if the Celts are adding Kemba.  If you have a small starting point you really need an off-guard with good size to cover bigger guards.  Smart is perfect for that role.

Jaylen Brown can do that. Capela as a defensive anchor and rebounder can certainly help make up for Smart’s defense
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Smart seems pretty vital, especially if the Celts are adding Kemba.  If you have a small starting point you really need an off-guard with good size to cover bigger guards.  Smart is perfect for that role.

So is Jaylen, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I apologize if this has been posted:

The source is kinda sketchy by according to a sports talk radio host in sacramento the Celtics are trying to squeeze in on a trade the 76ers and Rockets are talking about, trying to acquire Capela

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/06/27/celtics-rumors-third-team-rockets-76ers-trade-nba-free-agency-clint-capela/?fbclid=IwAR0w8p8_ayHR9kdD-ywEqlIFRf12vJmud5mZQuHg4lcEg5rUTCBZGTAaMvE
I've been told by a source in Houston that the Boston Celtics have significant interest in being the third team in a Rockets/76ers sign & trade.

Speculation: Boston, who has now emerged as the front runner to land Kemba Walker, will try and move in and acquire Clint Capela.

twitter @MattGeorgeKHTK

Im not sure I want to give up Smart to get Capela, and I think its the only way we could make this deal happen

Langford, yabusele and a pick

One ofbthe above and cash and a pick.

There are other ways.

And I can see philly liking the idea of more capspace as opposed to smart who I am not sure on the fit with simmons

I am no expert on cap/trade rules, but if the C's absorb salary in the trade which I think they can as they are under the cap -- wouldn't that then mean that they won't have enough space to sign Kemba?

I believe Kembas first year would be about 32 million, leaving 2 mill in capspace.

Yabusele, Langfordand the 5.3 mill in cash along should be enough to cover the CBA provisional rules.

Now I am not sitting here adding up to the dollar, but it would be really close.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

So is Jaylen, though.

Yeah, this is where I’m at. While Capela would be an ideal type of center for us, I’m not sure he’s worth losing either Smart or Brown over.

Too bad we couldn’t get Timelord more development time last year to take a bigger role on this year. I think Williams could be significantly better than Capela long-term.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

The source is kinda sketchy by according to a sports talk radio host in sacramento the Celtics are trying to squeeze in on a trade the 76ers and Rockets are talking about, trying to acquire Capela

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/06/27/celtics-rumors-third-team-rockets-76ers-trade-nba-free-agency-clint-capela/?fbclid=IwAR0w8p8_ayHR9kdD-ywEqlIFRf12vJmud5mZQuHg4lcEg5rUTCBZGTAaMvE
I've been told by a source in Houston that the Boston Celtics have significant interest in being the third team in a Rockets/76ers sign & trade.

Speculation: Boston, who has now emerged as the front runner to land Kemba Walker, will try and move in and acquire Clint Capela.

twitter @MattGeorgeKHTK

Im not sure I want to give up Smart to get Capela, and I think its the only way we could make this deal happen

There are other ways.

And I can see philly liking the idea of more capspace as opposed to smart who I am not sure on the fit with simmons

I am no expert on cap/trade rules, but if the C's absorb salary in the trade which I think they can as they are under the cap -- wouldn't that then mean that they won't have enough space to sign Kemba?

Correct. Those aren’t legal trades if we sign Kemba.

did you run the numbers, cause i am pretty sure its really close.

Langford is 3.2ish mill
yabusle is 3.6 ish mil
cash is up to 5.3 mill
then a couple mill space left over after signing kemba.

should fit the rules.

Unless you cannot combine cash with players in a deal anymore. I know you used to be able to, not sure on the rules now.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

twitter @MattGeorgeKHTK

There are other ways.

I believe Kembas first year would be about 32 million, leaving 2 mill in capspace.

Yabusele, Langfordand the 5.3 mill in cash along should be enough to cover the CBA provisional rules.

Now I am not sitting here adding up to the dollar, but it would be really close.

Those aren’t how the rules work. Cash doesn’t count as salary in trades, for instance.

Unless you cannot combine cash with players in a deal anymore. I know you used to be able to

You can include a limited amount of cash, but not for salary capping purposes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

I love Smart, but isn’t that Brown... and Romeo.

romeo should not be in the same conversation as brown or smart
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:57:54 PM by Silky »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is clearly a false rumor, but the Celtics with Kemba have all of five players in their rotation.  Making a trade for any of the Rockets on the market would overall be a lateral move at best if it involves one of the core players.  It would be much better to go bargain shopping in free agency than to give the Sixers useful players to replace Butler with.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

twitter @MattGeorgeKHTK

There are other ways.

Those aren’t how the rules work. Cash doesn’t count as salary in trades, for instance.

Unless you cannot combine cash with players in a deal anymore. I know you used to be able to

You can include a limited amount of cash, but not for salary capping purposes.

ah, it used to be back in the day, guess they ruined that too.

I dont do it then, just use the room mle to sign a bigman

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Smart or Brown needs to be traded for a center. If Ainge doesn't want to pay Brown a big contract next year, than Brown needs to yield a starting caliber center. Otherwise you keep the most talented player and Smart has to go, plus a pick perhaps.

Didn't want to go after another undersized scorer, but now we have gone on the Walker-route it makes a lot of sense to trade for Capela. Fills a huge hole in the roster, positionally and fit.

Also if we 'keep' Walker-Smart-Brown on the roster (+ our wing rotation Tatum, Hayward, Ojeleye) there are basically no minutes available for Langford. Don't like the pick at all, but if you're that high on him than you need to give him minutes to play.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Smart or Brown needs to be traded for a center. If Ainge doesn't want to pay Brown a big contract next year, than Brown needs to yield a starting caliber center. Otherwise you keep the most talented player and Smart has to go, plus a pick perhaps.

Didn't want to go after another undersized scorer, but now we have gone on the Walker-route it makes a lot of sense to trade for Capela. Fills a huge hole in the roster, positionally and fit.

Also if we 'keep' Walker-Smart-Brown on the roster (+ our wing rotation Tatum, Hayward, Ojeleye) there are basically no minutes available for Langford. Don't like the pick at all, but if you're that high on him than you need to give him minutes to play.

no need to rush and trade either of those 2 guys. none at all. and Tatum or Horford can play PF, not ideal, but better than trading smart.

Looney, Noel, Vonleh, Robin Lopez, Zach Collins Jakob Poeltl, theis, Okafor, Maker, OQuinn,  all guys that could be gotten at far less of a cost, and I firmly believe still makes playoffs. then next year there is poentiall 3 first round picks and capspace. address center then.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
June 30th cant get here soon enough
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

romeo should not be in the same conversation as brown or smart

Of course, Kemba, Brown and Smart is the best backcourt option, but the idea was if you trade Smart and need a big 2 to pair with Kemba -- Brown fits the bill, and Romeo may be able to fill minutes at the 2.  Obviously, he's not Brown or Smart, but the idea was then they'd have Capella.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!

I'm kinda of in agreement. Unless you think Brown has a huge leap ahead of him which honestly I don't, losing Smart would almost on par with losing Horford. Honestly this kind of trade has backfire written all over it considering he'd be going to Philly.

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Giving up Smart/assets for Capela is a backwards move. Posters on this board are starving for gaudy rebound numbers, but Capela is not it. The Warriors exposed him (he can be guarded by wings because he doesn't have a post/inside game and he isn't a great perimeter defender against wings either) and it's going to be exploited from here on.

I agree with Silky's suggestion of taking a flyer on Poetl, Maker, Noel, or Collins (in that order) before giving up anything for Capela, let alone one of the leaders, mentors, and a top defensive player in the league.