Author Topic: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules  (Read 24279 times)

Re: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Horford planning no meetings with teams tonight...hmmmm

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Sources: Boston's showing interest in a 3-team sign-and-trade w/ Kyrie Irving (Nets), Kemba Walker (Celtics) and Terry Rozier (Hornets). Boston wants to create a full MLE and would likely need to surrender at least a first-round pick to Nets. So far, talks are exploratory.
3:09 PM · Jun 30, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145409029151363072

MLE — or Al Horford!

either and or both

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2019, 03:22:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Sources: Boston's showing interest in a 3-team sign-and-trade w/ Kyrie Irving (Nets), Kemba Walker (Celtics) and Terry Rozier (Hornets). Boston wants to create a full MLE and would likely need to surrender at least a first-round pick to Nets. So far, talks are exploratory.

MLE — or Al Horford!

Question - couldn't it be both? Could we resign Horford and then afterwards complete the three-way S&T deal sending Kemba to the C's, Kyrie to the Nets, and Rozier to the Hornets while getting us the MLE, too? Or at that point would we be in the tax and getting the taxpayer MLE (which would still be higher than the Room exception anyways)?

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

MLE — or Al Horford!

Question - couldn't it be both? Could we resign Horford and then afterwards complete the three-way S&T deal sending Kemba to the C's, Kyrie to the Nets, and Rozier to the Hornets while getting us the MLE, too? Or at that point would we be in the tax and getting the taxpayer MLE (which would still be higher than the Room exception anyways)?

Yes, the MLE would still be in play, depending a little on how much Horford would get paid in this scenario.  But I was mostly referring to Woj’s stated motivation.  I don’t know that you trade a 1st just to acquire access to the MLE (or Marcus Morris’ Bird rights, or the BAE).

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2019, 03:28:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Horford planning no meetings with teams tonight...hmmmm

We will soon find out what Ainge claims he knew at the rookie introduction presser that the press did not know.

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2019, 03:30:29 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Should we try engaging Memphis if Brooklyn refuses?
I would think Brooklyn wouldn’t want to help us become better.

Memphis have a $25M trade exception plus another $8M exception.
We can sign and trade Morris for $25M ( second and third years unguaranteed) plus yabu plus theis  . Plus their own pick .

Then Charlotte can get terry without overpaying him. His starting salary can be $15.5M

Our outgoing salaries will be:
Morris - 12.8M
Yabu - 3.12
Theis - 2.49M
Terry- 7.7M

This will get us to $26.113M we need to match Kemna’s salary.

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2019, 03:34:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

MLE — or Al Horford!

Yes, the MLE would still be in play, depending a little on how much Horford would get paid in this scenario.  But I was mostly referring to Woj’s stated motivation.  I don’t know that you trade a 1st just to acquire access to the MLE (or Marcus Morris’ Bird rights, or the BAE).

What if it’s the Milwaukee pick?

A bottom-25 pick for multiple good players (and building block salaries potentially for use in future deals).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Al at 4 more years..no
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Signing Al to a deal rumored to be 4/$115M or so makes no sense. It also paints us into a corner and quite possibly takes us out of the 2021 FA market.

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2019, 03:44:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Al at 4 more years..no

I would do it with Kemba here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Al at 4 more years..no

I would do it with Kemba here.
Would it hurt their ability to keep Jaylen here after next season?

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2019, 03:48:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

MLE — or Al Horford!

What if it’s the Milwaukee pick?

A bottom-25 pick for multiple good players (and building block salaries potentially for use in future deals).

That's a bit of a gamble given how dynamic Milwaukee's roster is this summer. While I think they keep Middleton at all costs, they could lose Lopez, Brogdon, and Mirotic all this summer, which would dramatically shake up their team. Won't be lottery or anything, but they could end up a middle of the first round team.

If it meant keeping Al and getting the full MLE, just give them one of our own, with either lottery protections or top-10 protection. I think that's a gamble that you take to get the S&T possibility.

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I love this idea and Inthink it is Kevin’s O’Conner that recentlybsaid on Twitter that Horford’s mystery team may be the Celtics.

Question: the Nets will not want to help us, sonwhat draft picks will they command?  It’s a chance for them to get back at us a little for The Trade.

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I love this idea and Inthink it is Kevin’s O’Conner that recentlybsaid on Twitter that Horford’s mystery team may be the Celtics.

Question: the Nets will not want to help us, sonwhat draft picks will they command?  It’s a chance for them to get back at us a little for The Trade.
the nets may see it as a form of pay-back. the celtics handing over one or more draft picks and they get a player they would have gotten anyway.

who knows?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2019, 03:58:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

the nets may see it as a form of pay-back. the celtics handing over one or more draft picks and they get a player they would have gotten anyway.

who knows?

Yeah, wish Wyc had shut up about how he was able to get Danny to squeeze more picks from them. Payback’s a female dog.