Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 76636 times)

Re: How would you feel about the C’s going after Kemba?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 02:03:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Danny doesn't like mediocrity, Kemba is a worse facilitator than Kyrie
And how is our young guy going to feel when Kemba take away 20 shot a game?

Who cares?

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 02:07:15 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Not sure if this is even possible, but could we sign and trade any one of our pending free agents for a trade exception, then after we sign Walker use that trade exception to go after a big guy in a trade?

Charlotte would get the tpe, not us.

We would need charlotte to wamt hayward as opposed to nothing at all and have that be the deal

I think you misunderstood.  For example sign and trade Rozier to the Suns and get a 15 mil trade exception in return.  After we sign Walker use that tp later on in another trade to acquire a big guy.  I’m not sure if that falls within the league’s cap rules.

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think I'd rather have Vuc and Rozier, and I believe we can afford both.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I will be shocked if Vuc comes that cheaply.

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2019, 02:34:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Just start Smart.

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 02:42:34 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Danny doesn't like mediocrity, Kemba is a worse facilitator than Kyrie
And how is our young guy going to feel when Kemba take away 20 shot a game?
Agreed.  The kids just got out from under the Kyrie ball-dominance.  We need that change to result in addition-by-subtraction.

Just bring in Steven Adams into cap space.  He's a perfect fit, defense-first center, exactly what the team needs.

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This would be incredible

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I think we are close to his max with Rozier’s hold, and then we can go over to resign TRIII.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 02:58:52 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
We really have never seen Kemba play with good players.

He would be a good teammate.

It would mean Rozier would be gone.

Win win.

Agreed.  I'd expect Kemba to place a priority on winning above everything else.  He would be the least of my concerns.  I'd be more worried about whether or not Kemba, Brown, Tatum, and Hayward could play their best basketball together.

No matter what I expect Ainge to address the elephant in the room during negotiations.  Kemba wouldn't sign here without expressing concern over what happened this past season.  Brad and the coaching staff will also have a plan for how they'd like to use him in the offense. 

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2019, 03:09:38 PM »

Offline KeepBigAl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'm torn on kemba - he passes the eye test as a very good offensive player....but his career shooting percentage is .418.  As others mentioned, he is not a great pg and can be a defensive liability at his size.....are we overpaying for a guy who put up 25 ppg on a mediocre team?

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2019, 03:10:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think we are close to his max with Rozier’s hold, and then we can go over to resign TRIII.
No we are not he's a 7-9 year player just like Kemba/Kyrie.

His max therefore is 32.7, and we'd have to renounce Rozier to get that much space.

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2019, 03:11:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm torn on kemba - he passes the eye test as a very good offensive player....but his career shooting percentage is .418.  As others mentioned, he is not a great pg and can be a defensive liability at his size.....are we overpaying for a guy who put up 25 ppg on a mediocre team?
His first 4 years were really rough, he's figured a lot out since then and become a much better offensive player.

I do get people being hesitant to commit to him though, we have two big holes to fill.

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 03:18:33 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
He is a worse version of Kyrie for more money.  Why are we even talking about this guy.  We need a big who can shoot, rebound and play tough D.  A guard is going to put us in the hole money wise and get us nothing.  IMO just get the best big you can find.  Guards are a dime a dozen. Sign Rozier and add a nice backup for cheap but a get a big man who can play or we aren’t winning anything. 

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I'd love to have him here but you'd also be piecing the front line together with cheap vets or our current group of trash that we bring off the bench.  Given the opposition in the East, it means you're putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.  I bet he stays in Charlotte though.

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2019, 03:20:43 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
His first 4 years were really rough, he's figured a lot out since then and become a much better offensive player.

I do get people being hesitant to commit to him though, we have two big holes to fill.

I'm leaning towards yes on Kemba, even though there's concern about the pieces fitting together.  Tatum and Brown must be itching for more offensive responsibility.  Are they willing to sacrifice again, especially after last seasons disaster?  I hope that Kemba's team-first mentality would prevent chemistry issues.

Hayward is another wild card going into next season.  Part of me believes that he needs be forced into more responsibility.  I want to him to play with aggression on a nightly basis, as opposed to blending in behind Kemba, Tatum, and Jaylen.