Author Topic: This team needs shooting more than they need a center  (Read 16478 times)

Re: This team needs shooting more than they need a center
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2024, 01:22:51 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Not sure I would characterize the current 2024 Celtics as an "elite" shooting team.
Streaky elite, yes, but not consistently elite which is why Joe's stubborn adherence to a predominant 3-point offense drives me insane.
I hope Tillman becomes a contributor, but I still think we need a true quality back-up center.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2024, 07:15:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not sure I would characterize the current 2024 Celtics as an "elite" shooting team.
Streaky elite, yes, but not consistently elite which is why Joe's stubborn adherence to a predominant 3-point offense drives me insane.
I hope Tillman becomes a contributor, but I still think we need a true quality back-up center.
Still feel that way after that Philly game? I would argue that that is the most important takeaway from that game, and Joe stated so publicly.

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2024, 09:44:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Boston has the 4th best 3pt shooting percentage while also having the most 3pt attempts. The 3 teams ahead of them in percentage are all nearly 10 fewer attempts a game.  I'd say that makes them elite.

Also, Boston has the 3rd best 2pt percentage though is last in the league in 2pt attempts.  So perhaps there is an argument to take fewer 3 and more 2, but I'm not so sure about that given just how good Boston is at hitting 3's.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2024, 10:29:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Did you watch their most recent game vs Sixers?

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2024, 10:34:33 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Isn't Horford our backup center?

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2024, 10:53:02 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I don't know if this is defensible in light of the fact that we're likely to finish with one of the most effective offenses of all time.

It's the basis for a whole subset of internet memes, but 'you may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like' legitimately applies here.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2024, 11:01:22 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Isn't Horford our backup center?

It is funny how there is this impression of the Celtic's depth.  People seem to think of Horford as a starter or something and forget that he is part of the team's bench.  The Celtics play small; 1-big and an extra guard.  That makes Horford the back up, absolutely, but it is muddled because we don't really have a starting center (if you think of Porzingis as a PF) or if you prefer, we don't really have more than 1 starting big.

Horford is the second big, he just happens to not start.  It may be more accurate to say that the Celtics need a more viable 3rd big.  Most playoff teams, this season and historically, have 3 viable bigs.  Our 3rd big is Kornet.  Brissett is our 4th big (even though he is more of a swing).  No matter what you call it, that is where the Celtics are weakest.  We now have Tillman in the mix as a potential 3rd big, kind of 3rd big by committee.  That works fine in the regular season (even though we give up a lot of ORebs), we'll see how it holds up in the playoffs.

Tillman has played in 18 playoff games for MEM, starting 12.  That makes you think (or at least makes me think) that he can be a "viable" 3rd big for a playoff run.  Not sure they will have integrated him sufficiently in time for the playoffs though.  It will probably be 3rd big by committee in the playoffs, with match ups determining who plays.  That may work out just fine, though I would prefer a more definitive 3rd big.

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2024, 10:38:14 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Don't usually go in for vindictiveness, but I think you need to explain yourself.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2024, 07:48:55 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366

Don't usually go in for vindictiveness, but I think you need to explain yourself.

yeah this is looking like a bad take. Especially now that we are resting our starters and still winning with our bench.

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2024, 10:58:25 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The Celtics are currently second in the league in 3P% at 39.1%, behind only OKC who is 39.2%.  We have the best EFG% at 57.8%.  And the best TS%, actually tied for first with OKC at 61.0%.   I am not sure how this all adds up to a team that needs more shooting.  The Celtics are the best shooting team in the league by these measures.

On the other hand, we are 13th in offensive rebounding, 1st in DRebs, and 2nd in total rebounds.  Of these, I feel the offensive rebounds are the most important.  Defensive and total rebounds get increased when your opponent misses more shots.  We are 20th in terms of opponents ORebs.  I feel the O-rebounding, team and opponent, are a reflection that we do need more size, at least more skilled size.  Because we lack this depth, we are "forced" to play small with an extra guard.  The team is so good overall, that it doesn't seem to matter, but the "softest" area of the team is depth at big.

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2024, 10:59:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This thread was originally started in January 2020, not sure why it keeps getting resurected.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip