Author Topic: Marc Stein: Cs 'have ramped up their interest' in Reddick  (Read 19151 times)

Re: Marc Stein: Cs 'have ramped up their interest' in Reddick
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 10:57:46 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Much better is a ridiculous statement to make.

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I just can't see what ORL wants to pay Lee for 4 years when they have Afflalo for the same amount of time.

Lee doesn't make much sense for them. Neither does Terry. Certainly not Bass. Green would be the most logical, but still far fetched.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 10:58:29 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Who cares that much about this kind of trade? A Lee or Terry swap for Reddick is only the slightest upgrade to the overall complexion of the team and how they will perform.

J.J. Reddick is not the impact player we need to shake this roster up, not even close.

I am only happy with this move if it is the first move of 2 or 3 others, or a 3/4-team trade, where more of our parts go bye-bye, and a legit impact player or two return.

This kind of trade is p---ing in to the wind, if real change is the expected result.

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 11:07:03 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Who cares that much about this kind of trade? A Lee or Terry swap for Reddick is only the slightest upgrade to the overall complexion of the team and how they will perform.

J.J. Reddick is not the impact player we need to shake this roster up, not even close.

I am only happy with this move if it is the first move of 2 or 3 others, or a 3/4-team trade, where more of our parts go bye-bye, and a legit impact player or two return.

This kind of trade is p---ing in to the wind, if real change is the expected result.

I'm with you on this. Especially since, in the offseason, there will be Reddick's contract status to deal with.

We're not contenders this year. Trading for someone who will make us slightly better now (in the short run) is not the right move, IMHO.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:31 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Personally not a huge fan of Redick and don't see why the Celtics would be targeting him unless the real reason is to discard one of their recent 2-guard signings that they feel do not fit into the team scheme, philosophy or locker room.

In this case, swapping Lee or Terry for Redick makes sense because Redick plays a similar game to Lee but can also handle the ball well enough to run an offense to be the PG when Rondo sits.

Another good thing, it gets the C's out from under all the extra years they tacked on to Lee or Terry's contracts. Redick is an unrestricted free agent next year.

How are Lee and Redick's game the same? They seem to be the exact opposite. Redick as a backup pg would be awful! A press would devour him.
Lee and Redick are both pretty decent though not great defenders. Redick's defense is more team and scheme oriented while Lee's defense is more one on one oriented. They are both good size shooting guards and both are very good three point shooters.

Redick has handled the ball a lot in the Orlando offense over the years. He's an above average passer and decent ball handler. For 5 minutes a half, he could run the Boston offense. He's been doing the same thing in Orlando for years and hasn't been a disaster to the Orlando offense.

From a production standpoint I can see your point. I think they bring the same impact to the game. I don't think Lee is anywhere close to the three point shooter Redick is. I also don't think Redick's defense would be nearly as valuable as Lees.

I understand the point about the team defense but Lee has really stepped up lately in that department. I also really value his ability continue applying ball pressure when AB goes out. In my opinion swapping Lee for Redick only plugs certain holes while opening others.

I would rather trade Terry for Redick. With the way Doc wants to use Terry, Redick just seems to be a better fit. Coming off picks, etc. is how Redick naturally scores where Lee is more of a slasher in the open court and dribble penetrator when given space. Lee and Redick compliment one another more then Terry and Reddick do.

I would not move Lee for Redick. I don't see it as an overall advantage for us unless you want to get out from Lee's deal. Terry on the other hand makes perfect sense based on his skill set and utilization by the coaching staff.

Maybe a three team deal where we move Terry to a third team like Denver and a pick to Orlando could give us Redick. Denver could move Brewer's expiring to Orlando.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=argc9o9

What about getting Reddick plus Austin Daye as a taller shooter off the bench.  As a throw in Khris Middleton is a better shooter than Joseph (I know Joseph is gone, but Middleton would be our defacto replacement) and may be a good project rfor a future backup sf.

Lineup:

Rondo  Terry
Bradley  Reddick
Pierce  Green
Sullinger  Daye
Garnett  Wilcox/Collins

Bass has not been playing well, so you would be banking on Sullinger being able to play more.  Green would have to move over and play more 4. 

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday

I'm with you on this. Especially since, in the offseason, there will be Reddick's contract status to deal with.

We're not contenders this year. Trading for someone who will make us slightly better now (in the short run) is not the right move, IMHO.

I'm only cool with this if it is with the understanding that both Pierce/KG come back, with Pierce making a major adjustment to his contract......why he makes more than KG right now, I will never know.

Reddick is in the final year, so if we send ORL Terry or Lee, then thats 6+ mil more, plus whatever we can get Pierce to restructure with, to then have say 9-12 million more to actually sign someone decent in the off-season.

I'm more at the point of just trading Pierce now as an expiring, and having him come back next season somehow.

Pretty sure both PP/KG are the most aware that this team, as is or plus Reddick, is not going to get much done now, or IF they sneak in to the post-season.

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
Personally not a huge fan of Redick and don't see why the Celtics would be targeting him unless the real reason is to discard one of their recent 2-guard signings that they feel do not fit into the team scheme, philosophy or locker room.

In this case, swapping Lee or Terry for Redick makes sense because Redick plays a similar game to Lee but can also handle the ball well enough to run an offense to be the PG when Rondo sits.

Another good thing, it gets the C's out from under all the extra years they tacked on to Lee or Terry's contracts. Redick is an unrestricted free agent next year.

How are Lee and Redick's game the same? They seem to be the exact opposite. Redick as a backup pg would be awful! A press would devour him.
Lee and Redick are both pretty decent though not great defenders. Redick's defense is more team and scheme oriented while Lee's defense is more one on one oriented. They are both good size shooting guards and both are very good three point shooters.

Redick has handled the ball a lot in the Orlando offense over the years. He's an above average passer and decent ball handler. For 5 minutes a half, he could run the Boston offense. He's been doing the same thing in Orlando for years and hasn't been a disaster to the Orlando offense.

From a production standpoint I can see your point. I think they bring the same impact to the game. I don't think Lee is anywhere close to the three point shooter Redick is. I also don't think Redick's defense would be nearly as valuable as Lees.

I understand the point about the team defense but Lee has really stepped up lately in that department. I also really value his ability continue applying ball pressure when AB goes out. In my opinion swapping Lee for Redick only plugs certain holes while opening others.

I would rather trade Terry for Redick. With the way Doc wants to use Terry, Redick just seems to be a better fit. Coming off picks, etc. is how Redick naturally scores where Lee is more of a slasher in the open court and dribble penetrator when given space. Lee and Redick compliment one another more then Terry and Reddick do.

I would not move Lee for Redick. I don't see it as an overall advantage for us unless you want to get out from Lee's deal. Terry on the other hand makes perfect sense based on his skill set and utilization by the coaching staff.

Maybe a three team deal where we move Terry to a third team like Denver and a pick to Orlando could give us Redick. Denver could move Brewer's expiring to Orlando.

The only problem with a package featuring Jason Terry, is that you get more value in trading for a 5-million dollar bag of bricks.

The physical bricks have more face-value, because you can literally build a house with them.

Terry is so beyond worthless to most NBA team right now, I'd imagine.

So let's put down the pipe on a Terry for Reddick swap straight up.

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I'm only cool with this if it is with the understanding that both Pierce/KG come back, with Pierce making a major adjustment to his contract......why he makes more than KG right now, I will never know.

Reddick is in the final year, so if we send ORL Terry or Lee, then thats 6+ mil more, plus whatever we can get Pierce to restructure with, to then have say 9-12 million more to actually sign someone decent in the off-season.

I'm more at the point of just trading Pierce now as an expiring, and having him come back next season somehow.

Pretty sure both PP/KG are the most aware that this team, as is or plus Reddick, is not going to get much done now, or IF they sneak in to the post-season.

Sorry, but that's not how cap space works.

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
JJ Redick is averaging 5.9 three point attempts in 31 minutes a game and shooting 40%.

Lee and Terry are averaging only 3.2 three attempts in a combined 50 minutes a game and shooting 34 and 35%.

The problem is at least as much the offense as it is the players.

Mike

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:26 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I like what Lee brings, but I would move him for J.J. 

Redick is simply a better player.  A lot of folks assume J.J. doesn't play D because of his physical appearance, but he's actually turned himself into an above-average defender.
I was really impressed a few years back when he did a great job against Ray in the playoffs.
Exactly what I was thinking
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
15 pts. / 2 rebs. / 4 asst. / 46% shooting / 39% Three's per game.

Very good teammate, underrated leadership and scoring. He can help our offensive slack right now. I think he's worth the 2 million raise he's going to command. Better that than Lee, who I like, but would not really propel us to win and still be tied up to us.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

What about getting Reddick plus Austin Daye as a taller shooter off the bench.  As a throw in Khris Middleton is a better shooter than Joseph (I know Joseph is gone, but Middleton would be our defacto replacement) and may be a good project rfor a future backup sf.

Lineup:

Rondo  Terry
Bradley  Reddick
Pierce  Green
Sullinger  Daye
Garnett  Wilcox/Collins

Bass has not been playing well, so you would be banking on Sullinger being able to play more.  Green would have to move over and play more 4.

I don't think sullinger is quite ready to be the starting PF on a championship team
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Lineup:

Rondo  Terry
Bradley  Reddick
Pierce  Green
Sullinger  Daye
Garnett  Wilcox/Collins

I don't think sullinger is quite ready to be the starting PF on a championship team

I think we're past trying to make this a championship team at this point.  We're just trying to be competitive enough to make the playoffs and not embarrass ourselves without compromising the future.

Starting Sullinger makes eminent sense if it helps him develop into a quality starter for the team in the future.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I like what Lee brings, but I would move him for J.J. 

Redick is simply a better player.  A lot of folks assume J.J. doesn't play D because of his physical appearance, but he's actually turned himself into an above-average defender.
I was really impressed a few years back when he did a great job against Ray in the playoffs.
Exactly what I was thinking

Nothing to be impressed about. Guarding Ray is not difficult with the right gameplan. Just ask our old friend Wally.