Author Topic: Rumor: Pacers interested in Hayward  (Read 24428 times)

Re: Rumor: Pacers interested in Hayward
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2020, 10:09:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If we get Dipo and Turner for Hayward, the upside is the same: Banner 18. I think the trade makes the window a little bigger and makes the upside a little higher, honestly. Because the possibility that Turner plays to his potential and Dipo plays well in the system (obviously not a given) is a HUGE upside. Not saying it’ll happen. But the upside if things work out would be pretty substantial.

Agreed. It's a huge swing for Danny. It's the kind of move you make if you think you are knocking at the championship door.

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2020, 10:18:21 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If you can get Sabonis instead of Turner, that would be fun.

But I'll take either Sabonis or Turner and Oladipo for Hayward and others in a heartbeat. Can no longer trust Hayward and his $127M after his unfortunate health problems.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2020, 11:37:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I’d have no interest in Oladipo.

Not a great fan of Turner but at least I’d argue he fills a need.

I’d be more interested in getting back someone like McDermott or lamb.

Exactly

Brogdon , Mcdermott and two 1st (right to swap) is my trade idea

Turner cant handle Bam, Giannis etc

Turner is inching closer to Channing Frye territory imo

Why would the Pacers trade Brogdon, McDermott and two firsts for Hayward?

At the end of the day,  if they really want Hayward, some give is required.  Brogdon/McDermott are not key cogs in their lineup

If its for Turner, I rather the Celts hold Hayward for another season ... and if he walks, thats fine.    Option to sign FA, instead being stuck with Turner

Turner running/side to side mobility is questionable.  Theis is even a better defender
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:44:47 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2020, 12:08:56 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I realize the idea is supposed to involve Oladipo...but I like this one if Brogdon could be had...

https://tradenba.com/trades/HLr_-GsaJ

Then at pick 14 and 26 add:

Saddiq Bey/Nesmith and Tillman         or
Achiuwa and Bane/T. Bey            or

combine our picks for P. Williams...(if he doesn't fall)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 12:16:23 AM by wiley »

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2020, 12:29:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Turner and Oladipo for Hayward, Langford, and the 3 1st's.  Sign me up.  Then trade Smart (and a future 1st) for #2 and draft Ball or Edwards

15-Man Roster
PG - Walker, Wanamaker, C. Edwards
SG - Oladipo, Ball or Edwards, Green
SF - Brown, Ojeleye
PF - Tatum, Williams
C - Turner, Theis, Kanter, Williams, Poirier

Closer to a title than the team would otherwise be next year and much better set up to win titles for years into the future by adding Turner and Ball/Edwards to Tatum and Brown.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2020, 12:56:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Exactly

At the end of the day,  if they really want Hayward, some give is required.  Brogdon/McDermott are not key cogs in their lineup

If its for Turner, I rather the Celts hold Hayward for another season ... and if he walks, thats fine.    Option to sign FA, instead being stuck with Turner

Turner running/side to side mobility is questionable.  Theis is even a better defender
Erm, what? Brogdon was their 2nd best player this year. How on earth is he not a key cog in their lineup when he's their starting PG?

Also, I'm a big critic of Turner, but Theis is not a better defender than him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2020, 03:12:39 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I would rather Hayward stays. His all around play is too hard to pass.

Conversely,  if we can  package him with other players (Smart?  Or, someone else) and picks for Harden I'm all for it  I don't see much advantage for our playoff push with players like Oladipo and Turner.

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2020, 03:31:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Exactly

Erm, what? Brogdon was their 2nd best player this year. How on earth is he not a key cog in their lineup when he's their starting PG?

Dipo and Sabonis are their all star calibre players

Warren, Brogdon etc next in the equation.

Key cogs is not accurate. But in order to gain Hayward .. the Celts should have some options. Vs just take Turner

I also doubt they want to give up Dipo for Hayward.  That would be staying above water only

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2020, 04:07:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Does Turner actually help you that much in a series against a guy like Embiid, Bam, or AD?

Looking at his game logs, Turner was mostly bad against Miami and had some very negative +/- numbers although Indiana as a whole did poorly against Miami.

Looks like he was pretty mediocre in two games against the Lakers last season, and a mixed bag against some of the other big teams.

I just don't particularly like Myles Turner.  His TRB% for his career is 13%.  That's very poor for a center.  His AST% is 6.5%.  That's quite low (<2 ast per 36 min)
Turner doesn't create much contact inside either.  He attempts 3.7 free throws per 36 minutes for his career and is just about average as a free throw shooter (77%).

Perhaps the worst thing is his TS% which is only 56.6% for his career.  For a tall center with nearly a 20% USG rate who is not quite a league average shooter from 3, that's not great.

So he doesn't board very well, doesn't pass well, is just an OK finisher, isn't a great shooter.  He's good at blocking shots.  I'm not sure what else he's particularly good at.

He's tall and people here are desperate for someone who is taller than 6"8. Personally I would have Theis over Turner at the 5, I don't think Turner adds any value over anyone we already have, and he costs a lot more too.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2020, 04:17:41 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
A completely healthy GH is better than either Myles or Victor.

Oladipo Prime was a 1st team all-defense AND All-NBA in 17-18 and a very good player all-around. Was just starting to touch his full potential before his injury.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/oladivi01.html

Myles Turner - with his 18-19 stat line was a very good player as well - with a good 3pt clip, decent rebounder and very good shot blocker.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turnemy01.html

With THAT being said I'd still trust Gordon Hayward on this team......Myles and Victor would full some needs but ALL AROUND we'd lose out in this trade, I think.

GH's Play-Making and Floor General skills are under-rated. You NEED that kind of player in crunch time.

With THAT being said I'd say no to this trade.

Perhaps Tatum is ready to take that next step - kevin Durant-style - and take on PLAY MAKING duties as well, for his teammates. He's shown flashes of this just recently.

But is he READY NOW? To take THAT NEXT STEP? Well if we trade GH in such a trade listed by the OP we'd BETTER BE ready as a FAN BASE for Tatum to take such a step....and be PATIENT with him if he doesn't.

Gordon Hayward plugs....HAS PLUGGED - "MANY" holes for our team. Not his fault for his rotten injury issues.

I'd stay with him regardless.

That NEEDS to be replaced in the starting lineup. That will RESOLVE the Celtics issues.

Replaced with WHOM, though?

Is Jayson Tatum ready to take on this duty FULL-TIME? If we trade GH we'd better hope so.

Our BEST playmakers on this team are GH, Smart and Kemba. Tatum has shown flashes but is he "READY" to take this on Full-Time?

No it’s not their time, just have to think outside of the box. There are other playmakers out there whom are not superstars but would fit the team better.

Kemba isn’t a good basketball fit for brown and Tatum, but Kemba is also not damaged goods. This means Kemba HAS TRADE value outside of brown and Tatum.

I think that Kemba Walker is an OUTSTANDING fit next to The Jays....and proof of that is how this team actually performed this season - POST-KYRIE - and prior to Covid.

Our Team Chemistry was OFF THE CHARTS....we were beating playoff teams ON THE ROAD....were competitive against playoff teams even when we LOST....

Kemba Walker is on the outer edges of his prime BUT a GREAT teammate and AT TIMES can carry our team offensively. We don't NEED him - with The Jays present - to be CHARLOTTE KEMBA....

If we lose Kemba and he's replaced - via this trade - with Oladipo he'd BETTER come into BOSTON knowing that the BALL goes through The Jays then Marcus Smart, 1st.....OR he'd better believe that he's good enough (and HUMBLE enough) to take a back seat to those three.

I just don't personally think that Oladipo would be a good fit in BOS....even though I do love him as a player and he seems to be a good teammate.

Oladipo needs his OWN team....I'm not sure he'd be ready to be a 3rd fiddle in BOS.

Oh I’m not an advocate of Oladipo either. As matter a fact I agree with you on everything you said about Oladipo. However, your take on Kemba I can talk about:

I believe the chemistry has been overblown. Just getting rid of Kyrie and Morris would have raised the chemistry regardless. Kemba is a good player do not get me wrong on that, but the Celtics do not need a scoring PG. If Kemba is not scoring 20 ppg what use is he? Be honest about that becsuse he is a liability on defense.

I’m an advocate for replacing Kemba with Jrue Holiday or Spencer Dinwiddie whom are playmaking/defensive type players who are switchable. Although it’s debatable if Kemba is better than those 2 players, they in my opinion are better basketball fits than Kemba.

Kemba going to Clippers or Lakers shouldn’t leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouths as those are playoff/championship type teams but are geared towards vet leadership.

Lastly Kemba showed to me that he shrinks in times that we need him the most, which is why I’ve definitely seen his Celtics ceiling already. As hard as a pill as it is to swallow, the Celtics need a playmaker in the starting lineup, not another scorer.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:23:01 AM by mrceltics2013 »

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2020, 04:58:10 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Not sure why people are so sure about Oladipo.  My impression is 2-way player with great energy who over-achieved (never mind where he was drafted, he out-performed expectations), hard worker, seemingly good teammate.  To my eyes he creates well for self and others.  The question is what % will he be of what he was after after a very significant injury?  Or, more to the point, can he adjust his game effectively to being a 3rd or 4th option?

My point isn’t that I think he’ll return to form, my point is I’m not 100% sure he won’t come close enough. There were many here after a year and a half of GH who saw him as permanently damaged, yet he looks to have quickness back and when healthy is an important 3rd/4th guy.  Victor returned early (I think) from an injury that takes a ton of time to return to strength. He’ll undoubtedly get better than what he showed at first, but what % of self is his ceiling and does he re-injure?  Hard-worker and youngish is a big plus for him, uniquely bad injury certainly  a minus.   

My main point is that on the C’s there are 2 other strong defensive 2s and there are 3 other strong offensive options - Victor doesn’t need be the man here and may work really well as a bench spark - maybe a very interesting Smart-VO backcourt on the second unit - 25-30 mpg. A quasi Wanamaker/Hayward replacement rather than a Gordon replacement.  Also has been a clutch end of game finisher.  IMO trade depends on what else is involved.

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2020, 06:40:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Exactly

Dipo and Sabonis are their all star calibre players

Warren, Brogdon etc next in the equation.

Key cogs is not accurate. But in order to gain Hayward .. the Celts should have some options. Vs just take Turner

I also doubt they want to give up Dipo for Hayward.  That would be staying above water only
Oladipo is no longer an All-Star calibre player and might not ever be again

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2020, 07:08:04 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Some ppl on here are thinking Hayward is a top 15 player still..he is not...he is not or will be the Gordon Hayward of the Utah Jazz..he is still a good player but will never be great again with that nasty injury he had...no way is sign him to a long term contract again with him being 30 now and injuries history
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2020, 07:43:34 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we're being honest, a better trade for us would be Kemba for Oladipo/Turner. We upgrade the C position and Oladipo slides right into Kemba's role. Even if he's not quite as good, that is okay, we don't need Kemba to be the alpha-scorer he was in CHA anyway. Oladipo's size should help on defense, as well. Then we re-sign/extend Hayward and Oladipo for $20-22M/yr.

Unfortunately this is not what is reportedly available, as Hayward is from Indiana and is expiring. It would also be a terrible look to trade Kemba so fast...although I do think that would be a very good situation for him.

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Some ppl on here are thinking Hayward is a top 15 player still..he is not...he is not or will be the Gordon Hayward of the Utah Jazz..he is still a good player but will never be great again with that nasty injury he had...no way is sign him to a long term contract again with him being 30 now and injuries history
Who is thinking that? Nobody thinks he'll be the 20/6/4 All-Star #1 option that he was before. People are confident, however, that he'll be a 16/6/4 guy (he exceeded that in 19-20) for years to come, which is fair