Author Topic: Reggie Jackson’s Jersey  (Read 1667 times)

Reggie Jackson’s Jersey
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I don’t know why I only realized this now. A friend and I were talking about Pierce’s jersey retirement and we got to talking about other nice numbers that can’t be used anymore. Then we arrived on Billups’ #1 jersey in Detroit. If Billups’ jersey was retired with a ceremony and everything, why is Reggie Jackson wearing #1 for Detroit then? Doesn’t this totally submarine the whole significance of having your jersey retired?
- LilRip

Re: Reggie Jackson’s Jersey
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don’t know why I only realized this now. A friend and I were talking about Pierce’s jersey retirement and we got to talking about other nice numbers that can’t be used anymore. Then we arrived on Billups’ #1 jersey in Detroit. If Billups’ jersey was retired with a ceremony and everything, why is Reggie Jackson wearing #1 for Detroit then? Doesn’t this totally submarine the whole significance of having your jersey retired?

Reggie Jackson was already wearing #1 for the Pistons when Billups number was retired, so he was allowed to keep wearing it.  Billups was still an active NBA player when Jackson was acquired, and hadn’t been on the Pistons for about six years, so I guess they decided not to keep his jersey sacred when Jackson asked for it.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kinda like a grandfather thing since he was already wearing it on DET. 

Sorta like the Jackie Robinson thing, I guess.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
That is a good point. The Pistons should have already had some inkling about whether or not they would retire his number after he left the team; it's not like his body of work with Denver and the Clippers would have any bearing on his Pistons # retirement.

It's not dissimilar to Xavier McDaniel wearing #31 even though the Cs later retired that # for Cedric Maxwell. The difference being [I guess] that the Cs waited until after X-Man was gone before retiring the # for Max.

For both of the players above, they must not have been guarantees like Bird or Jordan where nobody else would even dare wear their #s.