Author Topic: Has the Leprechaun Left the Building?  (Read 2082 times)

Has the Leprechaun Left the Building?
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Similarly to a question that was asked after Larry retired in 1992, as a die-hard Celtics fan, I can't help but ask the same thing 20 years later.

From 2007-2010 (upon the KG trade), it seemed the Celtics were the kings of the NBA (or at least the Eastern Conference.) In the 07/08 and 08/09 season, they dominated the regular season and won the title in 08. One can't help but wonder if they win it again in 09 WITH KG.

In the 09/10 regulaur season they weren't as good, but they crushed it in the playoffs and made it to game 7 of the NBA finals.

It seemed in the summer of 2010, things started to change for the worse. That was when the infamous "3 Kings of South Beach" were born in Miami and you can feel the momentum start to leave Beantown and head down to the Sunshine State. Sure enough, in the 2011 playoffs, the Heat disbanded the Celtics in 5 games.

2011-12 was bizarre. Just when it seemed the window truly closed, the Celts went on a truly magic run in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs. After game 5 in Miami,  I truly thought we were a team of destiny with one more title reign waiting before the curtain closed.

However, sure enough Miami was just too good to lose to the Celts and eliminated them in game 7.

Now, just 17 games into the 2012-13 season, the Celts are a meager 9-8 and for some reason something just doesn't feel right.

Not sure if it's a coaching problem with Doc, whether Danny didn't do his job in the off-season and
played it cheap by simply resigning the Celts own free agents because of their bird rights as opposed
to signing other, better players (OJ Mayo, Roy Hibbert, etc.)

Maybe there is a rift within the roster or maybe the Celts still aren't the same following the Perk trade,
but it's hard to say.

What further complicates things is this year, it's not just Miami to worry about.

The entire Atlantic Division is up for grabs as the Knicks, Nets and Sixers have all drastically improved.

I'd love to hear thoughts and gauge on whether or not I am the only who feels whether the leprechaun is about to shut off the lights at the garden.

I am hoping there is still another run to be had
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:07:21 PM by gpap »

Re: Has the Leprechaun Left the Building?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
If we get to the playoffs healthy they are capable of another deep run.

The only problem is getting there healthy. We can only wait and see.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_uulujs-MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUHk-HhHTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOep3ppztHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdSb4xpp1qo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gviEcQCOA

As a matter of fact that Leprechaun sometimes travels to OTHER buildings (See NY, ATL, PHI, LA) over the years.

The Leprechaun still has many more stops to make. Still more work to do.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 11:15:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The team was very good and played with great chemistry and more importantly amazing defense the second half of last year into the playoffs.

So everybody please stop insinuating they "haven't been the same since the Perk trade."  They've shown they can do just fine without Perk.

They haven't been the same since Avery Bradley injured his shoulders.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Similarly to a question that was asked after Larry retired in 1992, as a die-hard Celtics fan, I can't help but ask the same thing 20 years later.

From 2007-2010 (upon the KG trade), it seemed the Celtics were the kings of the NBA (or at least the Eastern Conference.) In the 07/08 and 08/09 season, they dominated the regular season and won the title in 08. One can't help but wonder if they win it again in 09 WITH KG.

In the 09/10 regulaur season they weren't as good, but they crushed it in the playoffs and made it to game 7 of the NBA finals.

It seemed in the summer of 2010, things started to change for the worse. That was when the infamous "3 Kings of South Beach" were born in Miami and you can feel the momentum start to leave Beantown and head down to the Sunshine State. Sure enough, in the 2011 playoffs, the Heat disbanded the Celtics in 5 games.

2011-12 was bizarre. Just when it seemed the window truly closed, the Celts went on a truly magic run in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs. After game 5 in Miami,  I truly thought we were a team of destiny with one more title reign waiting before the curtain closed.

However, sure enough Miami was just too good to lose to the Celts and eliminated them in game 7.

Now, just 17 games into the 2012-13 season, the Celts are a meager 9-8 and for some reason something just doesn't feel right.

Not sure if it's a coaching problem with Doc, whether Danny didn't do his job in the off-season and
played it cheap by simply resigning the Celts own free agents because of their bird rights as opposed
to signing other, better players (OJ Mayo, Roy Hibbert, etc.)

Maybe there is a rift within the roster or maybe the Celts still aren't the same following the Perk trade,
but it's hard to say.

What further complicates things is this year, it's not just Miami to worry about.

The entire Atlantic Division is up for grabs as the Knicks, Nets and Sixers have all drastically improved.

I'd love to hear thoughts and gauge on whether or not I am the only who feels whether the leprechaun is about to shut off the lights at the garden.

I am hoping there is still another run to be had
Funny that you bring up 2011-2012 yet fail to mention how we started off even worse last year than this year. Something EVERYBODY ON THIS BLOG does. This team is starting to buy in right around the 20 game mark and is about to turn the corner big time.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 11:26:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The little, green guy will never leave the building.  He's definitely prone to snoozing every once in a while, though.  By my reckoning, he'll be springing back to life any day now. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 11:30:10 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Ill hold my judgement until avery comes back
DKC Suns

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05:10 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
No, but Ubuntu has, and they need to revive the attitudes and priorities that they kept in focus in 2007-2008, primarily, defense and team play.

I still don't expect much cohesiveness until early spring, but the perspectives seem a bit muddled right now.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 01:40:45 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
No, but Ubuntu has, and they need to revive the attitudes and priorities that they kept in focus in 2007-2008, primarily, defense and team play.

I still don't expect much cohesiveness until early spring, but the perspectives seem a bit muddled right now.

Tp.

Great point on ubuntu.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:30:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I was just thinking the same thing the other day.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
What was our record this time last year?
We had a worse record and we made the ECF. Rose was injured but we still took the NBA champs to 7 games.
Leprechaun is only just starting to jump around up in the TD rafters. He'll be waving green magic dust all over the place come March.
Jeff Green's blood oxygen intake should have improved by about 40-50% by then too- and he'll be averaging 12-15 ppg which will go up to 16-18 ppg during the playoffs.

Can't fricken wait.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
One can't help but wonder if they win it again in 09 WITH KG.
Hahahaha, did you watch us at all that year?

Rondo at 22 was outplaying Kobe, Dwight, and LeBron those playoffs.  We would have won with Leon Powe, let alone KG.  We would have won with Jason Collins, or anybody other than Scals and Mikki Moore backing up Perk and a 23 year old Baby both playing 37 minutes.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Tp.

Great point on ubuntu.

Nail on the head. This is whats missing.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 08:50:24 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think he waits close to Saint Patrick's day show up for work. 

Or at least some time after the winter holidays. 

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
This year's team is better than last year's squad. It'll come. Be patient.