Author Topic: Jemele Hill out at ESPN  (Read 31139 times)

Jemele Hill out at ESPN
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/08/26/jemele-hill-espn-parting-ways-reports.html

If you’re not familiar with hill, She once said -
“Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”

https://deadspin.com/5016575/celtics-fans-are-no-longer-hitler-sympathizers

Re: Jemele Hill out at ESPN
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Good riddance
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 08:01:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
They paid that race baiter $2.5 million?!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Make sure you include her APOLOGY, CelticsElite.

ESPN’s Jemele Hill wrote this past Saturday that, "rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim.  It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan."

Apologies

Jemele Hill's personal apology:
"I deeply regret the comment I made in a column Saturday. In expressing my passion for the NBA and my hometown of Detroit I showed very poor judgment in the words that I used. I pride myself on an understanding of, and appreciation for, diversity - and there is no excuse for the appalling lack of sensitivity in my comments. It in no way reflects the person I am. I apologize to all of my readers and I thank them for holding me accountable. This has been an important lesson for me and illustrates that, like many people, I still have a lot of growing and learning to do.
"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/31219-fool-me-onceespn-suspends-jemele-hill

If you REALLY care to read down further in that article, OP - you'd see CLEARLY why she made this comment. Does NOT make it right, but it echoes why MANY, MANY of my classmates while in high school hated BOS and wondered quite often why "I" loved BOS (they were African American, as I am).

Many of them loved The Lakers and Magic, Kareem...

I guess you can call me the odd ball - especially being that this was the 80s....Reagan in office, etc, etc...

LOOK - I'm not trying to send this thread off the rails but some folks here need to let stuff GO. She apologized, LOL.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 09:44:54 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

ESPN’s Jemele Hill wrote this past Saturday that, "rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim.  It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan."

Apologies

"I deeply regret the comment I made in a column Saturday. In expressing my passion for the NBA and my hometown of Detroit I showed very poor judgment in the words that I used. I pride myself on an understanding of, and appreciation for, diversity - and there is no excuse for the appalling lack of sensitivity in my comments. It in no way reflects the person I am. I apologize to all of my readers and I thank them for holding me accountable. This has been an important lesson for me and illustrates that, like many people, I still have a lot of growing and learning to do.
"

If you REALLY care to read down further in that article, OP - you'd see CLEARLY why she made this comment. Does NOT make it right, but it echoes why MANY, MANY of my classmates while in high school hated BOS and wondered quite often why "I" loved BOS (they were African American, as I am).

I guess you can call me the odd ball - especially being that this was the 80s....Reagan in office, etc, etc...

LOOK - I'm not trying to send this thread off the rails but some folks here need to let stuff GO. She apologized, LOL.

I read it, and frankly I regret it. It's a crescendo of nonsense: "Rooting for the Celtics is like supporting inflation, unemployment and locusts. It's like praying for Eva Mendes to get married and for Brad Pitt to be disfigured."

i/We all know the facts here, which is the first team to draft an African American and the first team to have an African American coach. And if we are going to discuss racism in America, few places can boast to have had the anti-slavery activism of Boston in the in pre Civil War era.  I understand the peer pressure you were under at school, and how intimidating this might have been at the time, but these facts have  more relevance to the Celtics identity than the stereotypes of teenage students.

As for Hill's claim of Massachusetts being "responsible" for Reagan,  that's plain nonsense. In 1980, Reagan won everywhere except seven states, so she might as well "blame" the whole US. In Mass. Reagan got 0.15% over Jimmy Carter. For comparison, Reagan won by more than 6% in Michigan.  (To be clear I do not consider Reagan to be the devil or these numbers to have any deep significance, if anything I abhor this misuse of data. But if Hill is going to write a libel she should at least spend 5 mins on Wikipedia to check her facts).

ii/ Not all Celtics fans are from Boston. I can't stress this enough. If someone has a problem with the city, good, go ahead and make your case with evidence.

iii/ It's bigotry that uses lies to spread. Unfortunately, sports fans everywhere repeat unfounded stories to the point of unsuspecting people starting to take them seriously. Over here in Greece, there is a fabricated story about Panathinaikos playing a friendly game with the SS during the German Occupation. This has been repeatedly demonstrated to  be a hoax, but the rumours continue because there are enough bad journalists to keep them alive. The similarity  is stark because Panathinaikos fans are also stereotyped as urban, middle class and conservative (despite a heap of evidence suggesting that all sorts of people support the team, just as it happens with the Celtics). Good journalism is about responsibility and knowledge. I don't see either in Hill.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:31:22 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Apologies

"

I read it, and frankly I regret it. It's a crescendo of nonsense: "Rooting for the Celtics is like supporting inflation, unemployment and locusts. It's like praying for Eva Mendes to get married and for Brad Pitt to be disfigured."

i/We all know the facts here, which is the first team to draft an African American and the first team to have an African American coach. And if we are going to discuss racism in America, few places can boast to have had the anti-slavery activism of Boston in the in pre Civil War era.  I understand the peer pressure you were under at school, and how intimidating this might have been at the time, but these facts have  more relevance to the Celtics identity than the stereotypes of teenage students.

As for Hill's claim of Massachusetts being "responsible" for Reagan,  that's plain nonsense. In 1980, Reagan won everywhere except seven states, so she might as well "blame" the whole US. In Mass. Reagan got 0.15% over Jimmy Carter. For comparison, Reagan won by more than 6% in Michigan.  (To be clear I do not consider Reagan to be the devil or these numbers to have any deep significance, if anything I abhor this misuse of data. But if Hill is going to write a libel she should at least spend 5 mins on Wikipedia to check her facts).

ii/ Not all Celtics fans are from Boston. I can't stress this enough. If someone has a problem with the city, good, go ahead and make your case with evidence.

iii/ It's bigotry that uses lies to spread. Unfortunately, sports fans everywhere repeat unfounded stories to the point of unsuspecting people starting to take them seriously. Over here in Greece, there is a fabricated story about Panathinaikos playing a friendly game with the SS during the German Occupation. This has been repeatedly demonstrated to  be a hoax, but the rumours continue because there are enough bad journalists to keep them alive. The similarity  is stark because Panathinaikos fans are also stereotyped as urban, middle class and conservative (despite a heap of evidence suggesting that all sorts of people support the team, just as it happens with the Celtics). Good journalism is about responsibility and knowledge. I don't see either in Hill.

TP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 06:59:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We all know the facts here, which is the first team to draft an African American and the first team to have an African American coach.

The fact of the matter is that many do not know this history.  But people in general are ignorant on history for the most part.

I don't watch EPSN much but it is clear they go for controversial talking heads over thoughtful journalists on a lot of their shows.  They have some shows with good journalists, though.  But they use the same format as the political shows on many of their shows.   Two people from different sides arguing with little more than opinions to back them up.

If you REALLY care to read down further in that article, OP - you'd see CLEARLY why she made this comment.

Read all the way down and she completely ignores the history mentioned above first afro-american player and coach.   Stuff like the team not eating somewhere when a team mate was denied service.   You can't just take the bad stuff and not the good....

Sorry but that article shows she is part of the problem and not part of the solution.   It is little more than an poorly attempted rationalization of her idiocy.

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 06:59:48 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Good riddance

Amen.

Aside from her obvious hack and race baiting, I always found her articles poorly thought out too.  Just low quality all around.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 08:58:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
We all know the facts here, which is the first team to draft an African American and the first team to have an African American coach.

The fact of the matter is that many do not know this history.  But people in general are ignorant on history for the most part.

I don't watch EPSN much but it is clear they go for controversial talking heads over thoughtful journalists on a lot of their shows.  They have some shows with good journalists, though.  But they use the same format as the political shows on many of their shows.   Two people from different sides arguing with little more than opinions to back them up.

If you REALLY care to read down further in that article, OP - you'd see CLEARLY why she made this comment.

Read all the way down and she completely ignores the history mentioned above first afro-american player and coach.   Stuff like the team not eating somewhere when a team mate was denied service.   You can't just take the bad stuff and not the good....

Sorry but that article shows she is part of the problem and not part of the solution.   It is little more than an poorly attempted rationalization of her idiocy.
I can't stand Jemele Hill, but there is a big difference between the Celtics and the actual city of Boston.  Boston, the city, has long held a racist image, which has very little to do with the Celtics, other than the Celtics are in Boston. 

I mean the Boston Globe did a poll last year in which 42% of the Bostonians surveyed said it was a racist city.  https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/06/22/boston-racist-poll-shows-city-split-along-racial-lines/WRM3reSgkfpYtheDoCyxTM/story.html

Then you have all sorts of articles and pieces about Boston being racist like these ones:

https://www.complex.com/sports/2017/05/ugly-history-boston-being-most-racist-sports-city-america

http://gawker.com/5946312/the-most-racist-city-in-america-boston

And let us not forget Bill Russell's actual commentary.  "Boston itself was a flea market of racism. It had all varieties, old and new, and in their most virulent form. The city had corrupt, city hall-crony racists, brick-throwing, send-‘em-back-to-Africa racists, and in the university areas phony radical-chic racists." That is from his book.

Just because the Celtics were ahead of their time, it certainly doesn't mean the city itself was.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
ESPN is the Fox News of sports journalism. End of story.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
An APOLOGY really doesn't make this article less horrible, thats why she lost her job

Apologies

"

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 09:54:57 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Apologies

"

So if Trump apologizes for his antics after his presidency ends, you’ll be cool with him? Bygones will be bygones? Cuz Jemele Hill has been up to these types of antics for years.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Apologies

"

i/We all know the facts here, which is the first team to draft an African American and the first team to have an African American coach.

Bill Russell dealt with extreme levels of racism during his tenure in Boston - he called it a flea market of racism in his memoir. The sentiment that Boston as a racist city isn't a new concept in sports.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/03/a-flea-market-of-racism-black-athletes-on-playing-in-boston-over-the-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a93d6190761d
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 10:12:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Apologies

"

i/We all know the facts here, which is the first team to draft an African American and the first team to have an African American coach.

Bill Russell dealt with extreme levels of racism during his tenure in Boston - he called it a flea market of racism in his memoir. The sentiment that Boston as a racist city isn't a new concept in sports.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/03/a-flea-market-of-racism-black-athletes-on-playing-in-boston-over-the-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a93d6190761d

There’s a distinction between the city (at times racist; in some locations it still is) and the franchise (very progressive in terms of black players / coaches)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 11:01:32 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Apologies

"

TP

What she said was pretty hateful.

Assuming that her apology is sincere, then lets forgive her and let's move on to basketball.