Author Topic: Would a team draft an Orthodox Jew (Ryan Turell)?  (Read 10242 times)

Re: Would a team draft an Orthodox Jew (Ryan Turell)?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2022, 10:35:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
How many NBA players played Division III college basketball?    I can think of one off the top of my head Duncan Robinson, Jack Sikma, and Terry Porter.  Robinson did eventually land in Michigan prior to being drafted.  Sikma had multiple D 1 offers and choose D3 due to a relationship with the coach and Porter played NAIA his whole career but was player of the year.  So the record of D 3 level players making the pros is pretty low.

So the question to me is he good enough to play in the NBA?   Him being an orthodox jew should not even be a factor.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
He is now injured so that keep him out of the Summer League.

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2022, 11:44:17 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
There was a kid in the late 70's/early 80's who played at D3 North Park University in Chicago named Michael Harper, 6-9 forward.
He was small college All-American at least twice and ended up either being drafted very late or being invited to Portland's training camp.
I remember seeing him play in the NBA summer league for the Blazers - must have been on ESPN in 1980.

Another D3 player from that era was Pat Dennis from Washington & Lee, who was drafted by the Celts in maybe the 10th round.
The draft was different back then and had several rounds with less glamour. No purple and gold suits.
Pat Dennis, a point guard was actually the last player cut from training camp that year.
He went on to a long college coaching career at The Citadel in South Carolina.

Some basketball trivia I'm sure you will find to be fascinating.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 12:38:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Thanks, it is still rare.

There are other D III players who have made the pros.    I picked some that thrived.

https://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-nation/2021-22/going-pro-10-who-starred-from-d3

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2022, 07:24:37 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
Didn't Sports Illustrated years ago do an article on a high school phenom who was an Orthodox Jew and they were discussing issues like this. Can't remember much or whatever happened to him