Author Topic: The price for John Collins  (Read 5356 times)

Re: The price for John Collins
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2022, 09:40:24 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2022, 09:43:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I am interested in how people rank these layers:

John Collins
Tobias Harris
Porzingis

People seem pretty down on Harris but is Collins really all that much better?  And where does Porzingis fit in this?

People seem to think Harris could be available for Horford (so essentially nothing).  Would Collins be available for Smart?

The substantial difference in salaries is really the point.  I do think Collins is better, but even if Harris were better, he’s not $14 million/year over the next 2.5 seasons better.  Same goes with Porzingis (and Collins certainly has a better medical history than Zinger to boot when talking about Porzingis).  Teams have budgets, and you can essentially afford another starter-level player with Collins for the same salary as either of the other two.

Agreed.  If I were rating the three, I'd go Collins, Harris, Porzingis.

One thing I like about Collins is that he has the ability to play as either a PF or a small-ball center.  I don't like Porzingis at PF, and I don't like Harris at center.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2022, 10:02:52 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

John Collins
Tobias Harris
Porzingis

People seem pretty down on Harris but is Collins really all that much better?  And where does Porzingis fit in this?

People seem to think Harris could be available for Horford (so essentially nothing).  Would Collins be available for Smart?

I'd rank them closely to one another. Guessing these rankings but I expect Tobias Harris is around 10th-12th among PFs, John Collins 12-15th and Porzignis around 15th or lower.

Porzingis could play center where I would rank him as a top 10 center and possibly a top 5 center if he commits more to defense & rebounding. Neither T.Harris or J.Collins has that upside. Then again, neither has his injury risk either. I would stay away from Porzingis.

I guess most are seeing them as having fairly equal value in terms of on court but the contracts are different and I agree that they are different players.

I actually don't see Harris as a "big" (natural position C or PF).  I know he often plays the second big for the Sixers but at best he is more of a swing, probably less of a big than say Marcus Morris.   Harris is listed at 6'-7".  Contract aside, he could fit well for us.  He could be the one playing the swing vs. Tatum.  I don't see him as the ideal fit for what I feel we need in a big but I think he would help a lot.  I doubt we could get him but maybe the Horford-Schroder offer would do it.  It is a ton of money but I think we would be very good.

With Collins, I am not sure if he is really a big either.  At $23M, it is going to cost us Smart plus more.  Other than the contract, I am not sure that Collins would be any better than Harris for us  I actually think that I prefer Harris.  Neither is really a big, maybe Collins leans a little more that way.  But if we have to give up Smart + ? ? ?, I just don't see it.

With Porzingis, he is a natural big.  I feel he would be perfect (when healthy) next to RWilliams.  He could  also be the small ball center (that so many love) or he could be the C with GWilliams or another more PF type.  I am thinking that Horford and Schroder plus maybe a pick could get him.  It comes down to durability.

Bottom line, probably none of these get done, Harris has a toxic contract, Collins we have to give up too much, and Porzingis there are durability issues.  Of these, my first choice would be Porzingis for Horford, Schroder, and a pick some time in the future (not this year).

I agree that Harris is not a true big in the same way that Tatum is not a true PF. Collins may not be the biggest -he would provide virtually no resistance if guarding Embiid for instance- but he is definitely a big. He is a modern day power forward in game, court responsibility, and shot selection, where Harris is more of a power 3.

The intriguing thing about Collins is that he would not step on the Jay's toes too much and could legitimately help their games with his floor stretching and putback game. He might however step on Rob William's though since it doesn't seem that he's been too great of a fit with Capela who plays a lot like RWIII.

Porzingis is the best fit of the 3 players IMO but I have been against trading for him since the New York days due to his physical frame. Just too tall.

My order would be:

Collins by a mile
Porzingis
Harris

Harris is out IMO since he would have the chance to further muck up the on chemistry of the Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2022, 10:12:16 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Collins, Zinger, Harris

Tobias does not fit in this team. Many already complain about the fit of the Jays. Tobias Harris is like a jay, except not as good. If the C’s are going for a big (or someone to slot at the 4), I think the team would benefit from someone who can space the floor, be versatile defensively, and most importantly, set good screens!
- LilRip

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2022, 10:24:35 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Collins be great on this team

TimeLord
Collins
Tatum
Brown
Schroeder
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2022, 11:21:43 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

John Collins
Tobias Harris
Porzingis

The substantial difference in salaries is really the point.  I do think Collins is better, but even if Harris were better, he’s not $14 million/year over the next 2.5 seasons better.  Same goes with Porzingis (and Collins certainly has a better medical history than Zinger to boot when talking about Porzingis).  Teams have budgets, and you can essentially afford another starter-level player with Collins for the same salary as either of the other two.

Agreed.  If I were rating the three, I'd go Collins, Harris, Porzingis.

One thing I like about Collins is that he has the ability to play as either a PF or a small-ball center.  I don't like Porzingis at PF, and I don't like Harris at center.

We don't have the assets needed to land any of these guys but agree with this assessment. Personally, I'd only give up value for Collins (but not JB, JT or TL)