Author Topic: The price for John Collins  (Read 5354 times)

Re: The price for John Collins
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 10:14:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Why does he want out of Atlanta? 

If he is not happy with his role on offense, does it improve in Boston?   

Trading Brown is a non-starter.

J.Collins wants out because he spends more of the game standing around watching Trae Young dribble the air out of the basketball while he is not involved in the game. He wants more touches overall, more touches in areas where he can best score and more shot attempts.

Would he be happier in Boston? I am not sure. Tatum and Jaylen do not dribble the ball as much as Trae but they also take more shot attempts and iso too often. Good chance there would be some problems with that.

Main issue is with Rob Williams. He is an unskilled / low skilled big man who can't do anything when he is 5+ feet away from the basket. John Collins is a PnR threat and a low post & midpost isolation threat. Collins needs the paint vacant to take full advantage of his offensive skills. This too is a problem in Atlanta with Capela. Capela and Collins have bad (offensive) chemistry together as a result and so too would Collins and Rob Williams. This would reduce the amount of touches, touches in prime locations and shot attempts that Collins could get in Boston which would likely lead him to being unhappy here as well.

I see Rob Williams as a larger threat to J.Collins' contentment here in Boston than our stars although our stars may also pose an additional threat.

To make John Collins work in Boston would require replacing Rob Williams for a floor spacing center like Myles Turner. M.Turner and J.Collins would have good offensive chemistry spacing wise. Neither passes the ball well though. And neither do the Jays. So ball movement is likely to continue to be an issue. It means Boston will more likely top out as an above average offense (7th-12th best range) rather than a great offense. Is that worth the combined salary commitments of a John Collins and Myles Turner? Probably not. Nah, definitely not.

Boston would still need substantial help around them at PG and the bench in order to win and would lack the financial wiggle room to make that happen so they would likely top out as a good regular season bad playoff team like the DeRozan Raptors.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 10:18:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
As an aside, I prefer Ben Simmons & Myles Turner to John Collins & Myles Turner.

The reason being that Ben Simmons is a DPoY candidate who would combined brilliantly with the Jays and M.Turner to make Boston one of the feared defenses in the league. Simmons is also the best rebounder of the three players. And Simmons is the best ball-handler and passer who can best enable players around him and make others better. His transition offense would be a major asset along with some good interior scoring.

Why the aside? Collins cannot play with an unskilled / low skilled center like Rob Williams and would require replacing Rob Williams with a floor spacing center like a Turner. If we were doing that, I view Simmons as the superior option next to a floor spacing center than Collins. Collins provides superior scoring & shooting but Simmons is superior to Collins in team defense, man defense, rebounding, ball-handling and passing. Just an interesting comparison to further gauge the value of Collins.

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 10:20:20 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Pass. He’s unhappy being a 3rd wheel in Atl and he’s likely going to be unhappy as a third wheel in Boston.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 10:24:26 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Collins is reportedly disgruntled with his role on the Hawks, and may be on the trading block.

JC and the Celtics aren’t exactly what I would call a natural fit, but if the price is right I would love to see him on this team.

So what do you think it would cost Boston to acquire him?

If it only takes Smart, Grant, Romeo, and a protected 1st rounder, I’d do it. Collins doesn’t exactly solve our issues with ball movement or defense, but shoots it from deep at a high level and is a big time pick and roll threat.

What’s the most you would give up for JC?

What overall defensive issues do you think are a problem?

Not great at going against quicker players on the perimeter, and would struggle against bulkier centers inside the paint.

Also, it should go without saying but I’d never give up Brown for Collins. Unless Boston is getting Huerter and Okongwu as well.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 10:44:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Also, it should go without saying but I’d never give up Brown for Collins. Unless Boston is getting Huerter and Okongwu as well.

Is Okongwu any good?

I know he was a high draft pick but he hasn't shown much to date. 

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 10:47:26 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
As an aside, I prefer Ben Simmons & Myles Turner to John Collins & Myles Turner.

The reason being that Ben Simmons is a DPoY candidate who would combined brilliantly with the Jays and M.Turner to make Boston one of the feared defenses in the league. Simmons is also the best rebounder of the three players. And Simmons is the best ball-handler and passer who can best enable players around him and make others better. His transition offense would be a major asset along with some good interior scoring.

Why the aside? Collins cannot play with an unskilled / low skilled center like Rob Williams and would require replacing Rob Williams with a floor spacing center like a Turner. If we were doing that, I view Simmons as the superior option next to a floor spacing center than Collins. Collins provides superior scoring & shooting but Simmons is superior to Collins in team defense, man defense, rebounding, ball-handling and passing. Just an interesting comparison to further gauge the value of Collins.

I tend to agree with this, but it would take gutting our team to acquire them, and even then I’m not sure we have the assets to pull it off while keeping the Jays.

What about finding undervalued assets around the league that could be on the upswing. Players like Nic Claxton and Jaxson Hayes that have been reported could be made available in trades. The Wolves found a hidden gem in Jarred Vanderbilt. I think I would prefer that route trying to find a hidden gem, because I’m hesitant to think we have the assets to pull off a big trade and keep the Jays.

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 11:18:45 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Pass. He’s unhappy being a 3rd wheel in Atl and he’s likely going to be unhappy as a third wheel in Boston.

And - that’s not a new development. He was reportedly unhappy last year too, and possibly before that. He would certainly be unhappy here.

He was unhappy during a deep playoff run last season. They’re struggling this year, but that’s not the cause of his discontent. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery? Maybe he is causing chemistry issues and is part of the reason the Hawks are underperforming? I don’t follow Atlanta. Either way, didn’t want him last year and don’t want him this year.

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2022, 11:22:30 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983

Is Okongwu any good?

He was hurt to start the year, but he’s looked good to me since he’s returned.  We’ll see what you think on Friday, but he’s looking legit right now.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 11:24:02 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
Collins is reportedly disgruntled with his role on the Hawks, and may be on the trading block.

JC and the Celtics aren’t exactly what I would call a natural fit, but if the price is right I would love to see him on this team.

So what do you think it would cost Boston to acquire him?

If it only takes Smart, Grant, Romeo, and a protected 1st rounder, I’d do it. Collins doesn’t exactly solve our issues with ball movement or defense, but shoots it from deep at a high level and is a big time pick and roll threat.

What’s the most you would give up for JC?

What overall defensive issues do you think are a problem?

Not great at going against quicker players on the perimeter, and would struggle against bulkier centers inside the paint.

No, you said he doesn’t solve the Celtics defensive issues.  What defensive issues do the Celtics have that urgently need solving?

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 11:28:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's sort of interesting with Collins.  He's not complaining about touches:  he actually leads the Hawks in front court touches.

Rather, it's time of possession and distribution of the ball.  Collins touches the ball only 1.5 minutes per game.  90 seconds.  Meanwhile, Young has it for nearly nine minutes per game.  There's lots and lots of game time where Young is just holding the ball and dribbling, rather than moving the ball.

Collins is 14th on the Hawks in "seconds per touch".  He averages 1.58 seconds per touch, compared to Trae Young (over six seconds) or even Delon Wright (almost 5 seconds).  He either shoots the ball, or he passes it quickly.  I think that type of player would probably fit in very well with the Celtics.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2022, 11:36:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Is Okongwu any good?

He has played pretty well since he came back from injury.  That seems to be the bigger concern, he has missed a fair amount of time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2022, 12:22:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I wouldn’t trade Brown or Timelord for him .   Collins is nice player , but the needle doesn’ move forward sacrificing either of these two.

Maybe Smart , Schroder and Langford or Nesmith or Grant Williams

What we need is T. Young !  …plus Tater and Brown that’s a serious offensive squad.

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2022, 12:29:11 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
At this point, I think Harrison Barnes is a better value for a stretch 4. Atlanta would have to be panic selling AND really love Smart for Collins to end up here.

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 01:01:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Fun trade rumor:

The 76ers and Hawks briefly kicked around a trade of Ben Simmons and Tobias Harris for John Collins, Bogdan Bogdanovic and Danilo Gallinari, league sources told HoopsHype. However, those talks stalled quickly, with Atlanta uninterested in Harris and unlikely to be able to flip him to a third team.
Source: Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype

That would have improved the Sixers bigly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2022, 01:06:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I feel the best scenario is a three team deal. Hawks, Pistons, C's.

Hawks out= Collins, LouW
Hawks in= Grant, KO

Pistons out= Grant, KO
Pistons in= Al, Nesmith, two first from C's.

C's out= Al, Nesmith, two first.
C's in= Collins, LouW.

Like this deal as C's deal some future assets for a guy who can contribute right now and is signed for a good run.

Hawks get a improved rotation fit with Grant next to Capela. Then with KO helping spread the floor when he fills in for Capela. It can really open things up for Trae.

Pistons get a prospect, a trade chip for more future assets in Al's contract, and then two 1st from C's. That's a good haul for Grant if they want to continue the rebuild with Cade.