Author Topic: Rumor: Marcus Smart linked to Dallas Mavericks  (Read 9683 times)

Re: Rumor: Marcus Smart linked to Dallas Mavericks
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2022, 04:34:06 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Would they take Horford and Schroder maybe for Porzingis?

I suspect they would, as a pure salary dump.

If you are right, and Dallas would do this, then count me in.  I believe enough of Cuban's quote to think that they are not yet ready to just salary dump Porzingis so I don't think Dallas does this.  They have to do something though.  They don't seem to be going anywhere with a big 3 of Doncic, Porzingis, and Hardaway.

Does this lineup get us any closer to contending than where we are now?  (legit q, I don't know)
(say Porzingis for Horford / DS / 2nd round pick/or some other asset)

Smart / Brown / Tatum / Porzingis / Timelord
PP / Langford / J Rich / Grant / Future backup C

I don't know either of course but think of it this way, the line up of:

Smart / Brown / Tatum / Horford / RWill

has a net rating of +17.1 in 160 minutes this season.  They are +58 overall (13 per 36).  That is really good.  To me, Porzingis is a major upgrade over Horford both in terms of skill/talent, and fit with that unit.  I see a really good core line up there.

Yes, the contract, coupled with the historical durability is scary, but even with all the health issues, he has been pretty close to 20/10 every year.  Other than this season, his 3P% has been between 35%-40%.

Even if you consider that he is one of those players where you have to "manage" his minutes, nurse him along through the regular season so he is fresh and healthy for the playoffs, I still like what he could do for the Celtics.

I take the chance if the deal is Horford and Schroder, for sure.

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2022, 10:52:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Would they take Horford and Schroder maybe for Porzingis?

I suspect they would, as a pure salary dump.

There is no way. That would be a terrible move for the Mavs.

Mark Cuban two months ago:

“That’s not true. Why would I do that at all?” Mavs owner Mark Cuban told NBA.com. “Trades like that, you always end up further behind. When you trade a superstar, you never get the best end of it…

“I’ve always believed that KP hasn’t played his best basketball yet. Now you’re seeing why we didn’t trade him,” Cuban said. “He’s a great player. He’s a good dude. All of my experiences with him have been positive. So why would we do that? But that’s NBA Twitter and that’s Mavs Twitter. That’s what they do. They’re probably trying to trade Luka right now.”

I guess owners never tell a fib / outright lie to put themselves in a better trade situation right?
I think Cuban believes 'some' of that.
It was also 2 months ago so may not actually be true anymore even if it was 2 months ago.

I just don't know if KP is someone that would actually move the needle or not?  A lot of people here seem to think he is way overpaid.  His stats are ok this year, 20/8.  We get another 20 point per game scorer, but one that has a history of injury issues.  Would he fit well with timelord?  I guess he provides the off / timelord provides the def kind of thing?
I'm higher on the Zinger than most, but that is the question, can him and Rob play together?  If the C's believe the answer is yes, then I'd be fine taking a chance on him for a low cost. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2022, 03:07:56 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
How about Schroder (5.9, expiring), Pritchard (2.1, 3 years left), and Grant (2.6, 2 years left)

for

Brunson (1.8, expiring) and Powell (11, 2 years left) OR Kleber (8.8, 2 years left)

If Mavs don't want to pay Brunson, they get some cheap, young shooting around Luka in Pritchard and Grant while getting a starting-caliber point guard for the rest of this year to replace Brunson's production.

Celts would have to pay Brunson this offseason, but they get a starting guard that can shoot. Kleber/Powell replaces Grant's role as 3rd big off the bench.

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
If Dallas really had interest in Smart it likely increased after THJ's broken foot last night

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2022, 01:53:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How about Schroder (5.9, expiring), Pritchard (2.1, 3 years left), and Grant (2.6, 2 years left)

for

Brunson (1.8, expiring) and Powell (11, 2 years left) OR Kleber (8.8, 2 years left)

If Mavs don't want to pay Brunson, they get some cheap, young shooting around Luka in Pritchard and Grant while getting a starting-caliber point guard for the rest of this year to replace Brunson's production.

Celts would have to pay Brunson this offseason, but they get a starting guard that can shoot. Kleber/Powell replaces Grant's role as 3rd big off the bench.
Losing Pritchard and Grant is not a good move with how shallow we already are.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)