Author Topic: Why did we make the Kemba / Horford deal?  (Read 19868 times)

Re: Why did we make the Kemba / Horford deal?
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2022, 01:07:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Isn't the answer to this question that Horford - because he's better than Kemba and the particulars of his contract are more amenable - is a more desirable piece in a trade both at the deadline and this summer?

Is it?

The team sucks this year, so that’s not worth the cost of Sengun.

We won’t be below the salary cap, so that’s not worth Sengun.

Next summer, both are expiring contracts.  I don’t think the difference in trade value of those two contracts is worth Sengun.
It seems weird to me to use the Celtics record now as a reason for why the deal shouldn't have been done last summer. Unless you're using the current record as evidence that the deal didn't work but I don't think that's what you're doing because there's no reason to think the record would be better with Kemba than with Horford.

It sounds almost like you're saying the team knew that they'd be mediocre this season months ago and taken that into consideration even though the Celtics were expected to be quite a bit better than they have been.

Also, I haven't watched a minute of Sengun but is he really worth this kind of talk?

The buck stops with Brad Stevens.  If he gave up a good draft pick for a very, very modest upgrade that had no effect on winning, he should probably be fired.
Kemba had to be bought out by OKC and now NY is trying to get rid of him. Trying to move that guy at $37 mil versus trying to move Horford, who has been excellent on defense this year and will make only $14 mil next year is a big deal. It might be the difference between the Celtics having a chance to bring in someone significant this summer (or at the deadline now) and not having any chance.

Is that worth the #16 pick? I guess you say no. That's fine. But the reason for making the deal seems pretty clear.

Not really.

The team isn’t contending with Horford, or with Kemba.  If the trade brings us from the tenth pick to the seventh pick, is that worth sacrificing assets for?  Good GMs don’t give up the 16th pick to marginally upgrade.  That’s a Pitino move.

Time will tell on trade value, but I’d rather have a $35 million expiring contract plus Sengun than I would Al’s expiring contract ($14.5 million for purposes of a trade).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2022, 01:14:09 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Isn't the answer to this question that Horford - because he's better than Kemba and the particulars of his contract are more amenable - is a more desirable piece in a trade both at the deadline and this summer?

Is it?

Next summer, both are expiring contracts.  I don’t think the difference in trade value of those two contracts is worth Sengun.
It seems weird to me to use the Celtics record now as a reason for why the deal shouldn't have been done last summer. Unless you're using the current record as evidence that the deal didn't work but I don't think that's what you're doing because there's no reason to think the record would be better with Kemba than with Horford.

It sounds almost like you're saying the team knew that they'd be mediocre this season months ago and taken that into consideration even though the Celtics were expected to be quite a bit better than they have been.

Also, I haven't watched a minute of Sengun but is he really worth this kind of talk?

The buck stops with Brad Stevens.  If he gave up a good draft pick for a very, very modest upgrade that had no effect on winning, he should probably be fired.
Kemba had to be bought out by OKC and now NY is trying to get rid of him. Trying to move that guy at $37 mil versus trying to move Horford, who has been excellent on defense this year and will make only $14 mil next year is a big deal. It might be the difference between the Celtics having a chance to bring in someone significant this summer (or at the deadline now) and not having any chance.

Is that worth the #16 pick? I guess you say no. That's fine. But the reason for making the deal seems pretty clear.

I bet he doesn't bring in someone significant this summer let alone deadline now. Might just get someone like...another Kemba Walker-esque player and settling with mediocrity lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2022, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Is it?

Not really.

The team isn’t contending with Horford, or with Kemba.  If the trade brings us from the tenth pick to the seventh pick, is that worth sacrificing assets for?  Good GMs don’t give up the 16th pick to marginally upgrade.  That’s a Pitino move.

Time will tell on trade value, but I’d rather have a $35 million expiring contract plus Sengun than I would Al’s expiring contract ($14.5 million for purposes of a trade).
I'm not sure what time is going to tell you that you don't already know. Kemba the player has no value right now. If he was still in Boston, still on a max deal, he might be the worst contract in the league. Horford is still a serviceable player whose contract declines to something easily moveable next year.

I bet he doesn't bring in someone significant this summer let alone deadline now. Might just get someone like...another Kemba Walker-esque player and settling with mediocrity lol
That's probably a good bet. But if Kemba was here, we wouldn't even be discussing it because making a deal with him (and bringing back something useful) would be next to impossible.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2022, 03:08:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Is it?

Not really.

I'm not sure what time is going to tell you that you don't already know. Kemba the player has no value right now. If he was still in Boston, still on a max deal, he might be the worst contract in the league. Horford is still a serviceable player whose contract declines to something easily moveable next year.

That's probably a good bet. But if Kemba was here, we wouldn't even be discussing it because making a deal with him (and bringing back something useful) would be next to impossible.

Horford won’t bring back anything unless we attach assets to him.  He offers MLE production on a $27 million contract.  Similar to Kemba, really, before he was bought out.

It’s comes down to what set of assets is more useful:  Horford’s partially guaranteed contract, or Kemba’s larger expiring contract plus Sengun. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2022, 03:14:48 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Is it?

Not really.

Horford won’t bring back anything unless we attach assets to him.  He offers MLE production on a $27 million contract.  Similar to Kemba, really, before he was bought out.

It’s comes down to what set of assets is more useful:  Horford’s partially guaranteed contract, or Kemba’s larger expiring contract plus Sengun.

I tend to agree, knowing what we know now (that this team is a .500 team), i'd rather have Kemba+Sengun. Sengun looks like a legitimately interesting you piece, something we have very few of. Any extra value Al has over kemba is kind of wasted if your team is just a .500 bubble playoff team.

The partially guaranteed contract of al is fine, buts its not as useful as people make it out to be since nobody really wants to cut a guy and keep 14.5 million on there books for a year.

No one thing to consider is Kemba does make 7 million more than Horford, so if you kept Kemba you probably never use the MLE on Schroder, and its possible we get back a 2nd or two for him.

« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2022, 04:09:31 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Is it?

Not really.

I tend to agree, knowing what we know now (that this team is a .500 team), i'd rather have Kemba+Sengun. Sengun looks like a legitimately interesting you piece, something we have very few of. Any extra value Al has over kemba is kind of wasted if your team is just a .500 bubble playoff team.

The partially guaranteed contract of al is fine, buts its not as useful as people make it out to be since nobody really wants to cut a guy and keep 14.5 million on there books for a year.

No one thing to consider is Kemba does make 7 million more than Horford, so if you kept Kemba you probably never use the MLE on Schroder, and its possible we get back a 2nd or two for him.

I keep hearing people talk about that contract as if you can keep Horford on the roster at 14.5M. But that's not true is it? Is it a choice between having Horford at 26.5M or just eating 14.5M in dead cap?

If that's the case I don't believe any team is lining up for that. And if we keep Horford ourselves then we have squandered a first round pick for a modest total salary relief of 18M over two seasons.

« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2022, 10:42:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Is it?

Not really.

Horford won’t bring back anything unless we attach assets to him. He offers MLE production on a $27 million contract.  Similar to Kemba, really, before he was bought out.

Sure, Horford is salary filler. But he's filler someone will accept because he's an ok contract that is then flippable (or maybe I should say dumpable).

Kemba, if still on his max, wouldn't even be that because the price to dump him from last summer (a 1st) has certainly gone up since then so the C's couldn't use Kemba in a deal to get someone else without having to attach even more assets then they don't have.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2022, 11:05:56 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Is it?

Not really.

I keep hearing people talk about that contract as if you can keep Horford on the roster at 14.5M. But that's not true is it? Is it a choice between having Horford at 26.5M or just eating 14.5M in dead cap?

If that's the case I don't believe any team is lining up for that. And if we keep Horford ourselves then we have squandered a first round pick for a modest total salary relief of 18M over two seasons.

This is my understanding as well. The reason that has value is if a team is wanting to be under luxury or salary cap because that’s technically a reduction of ~12M

However, to continue enjoying Horford’s services, you need to pay the man his 27M. So it’s either another year with Horford for 27Mn or savings of 12Mn plus 15Mn in dead cap
- LilRip

« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2022, 11:20:01 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Is it?

Not really.

This is my understanding as well. The reason that has value is if a team is wanting to be under luxury or salary cap because that’s technically a reduction of ~12M

However, to continue enjoying Horford’s services, you need to pay the man his 27M. So it’s either another year with Horford for 27Mn or savings of 12Mn plus 15Mn in dead cap

Thanks for this. This answers my question in the thread I started regarding James Harden. So basically if we want to maintain the 27M cap space, we need to keep Al for another year? With Harden saying he wants to test free agency, I thought trading Al would create room to potentially get Harden on board.

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2022, 04:08:56 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Don't care about the contract. Horford is contributing to winning in a big way. The upgrade from Kemba to Horford completely worth the 1st rd pick.

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2022, 04:16:46 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Don't care about the contract. Horford is contributing to winning in a big way. The upgrade from Kemba to Horford completely worth the 1st rd pick.

I suspect the OP would agree on the present value of Horford. I think the question will re-occur if the Cs can't keep this heat up.

« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2022, 04:34:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I suspect the OP would agree on the present value of Horford. I think the question will re-occur if the Cs can't keep this heat up.

Yeah.  This thread was made on January 22.  The team was 23-24, seemingly going nowhere.  At that point, the trade certainly wasn't worth a #1.

Since that point, the team has played extremely well (16-3).  So, I'd like to take credit for the turnaround, as Al and the rest of the team clearly were motivated by my thread.

« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2022, 04:54:19 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622

Yeah.  This thread was made on January 22.  The team was 23-24, seemingly going nowhere.  At that point, the trade certainly wasn't worth a #1.

Since that point, the team has played extremely well (16-3).  So, I'd like to take credit for the turnaround, as Al and the rest of the team clearly were motivated by my thread.

All credit to Roy!....maybe a lil to Brad...but yay Roy!

The true value will be determined how far this group goes this year vs what Segun ends up becoming but Al has been huge in this turn around so far.

And then at the end of the year we can bump ur thread about what to do with Al in the off season...that should be interesting

« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2022, 05:12:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Ime owes his Coach of the Month award to you :P
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2022, 05:19:26 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I, for one, hope the Cs have to pay Al’s championship bonus.