Author Topic: Enes Kanter Legally Changing His Name To Enes Kanter Freedom  (Read 5833 times)

Re: Enes Kanter Legally Changing His Name To Enes Kanter Freedom
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 05:00:27 PM »

Kiorrik

It may sound crazy, but Enes was disowned by his family years ago, and adopted the name Enes Gülen.  Becoming a US citizen, he can now officially change his name, and he’s chosen an English word that is very important to him.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/wnmy95/why-enes-kanter-has-a-new-name-and-why-his-family-disowned-him

Sorry guys, I'ma hold the judgement and just be happy for him.

Guy's been through more than we privileged teets ever will.

Good on ya, Enes. Hope you get to live a long, safe live whilst fighting for what you think is right.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 05:03:17 PM »

Kiorrik

Sad to see so many getting butt hurt over this.

Enes has literally been a man without a country the past few years because of his social activism against a Turkish despot. He has had to live with death threats and seen family members imprisoned. His family had to disown him for political reasons - to save their own lives.

Now he gets to become an American citizen. That should be celebrated! He’s worked hard for that. He’s earned it. If he wants his name to reflect the highest ideal of his adopted country, so be it!

If Ime has a problem dealing with media distractions then he needs to put on his big boy pants. I would bet that he’s not bothered by this and that he and the rest of the Celtics will be celebrating with Enes.

TP for being vastly more eloquent than my attempt :')

This isn't about us. And we can judge his name all we want - I'm sure some of us have idiot sounding names to other cultures too.

Heck, my name's Dirk. It still sounds stupid. DIRK. Like you're burping or something.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2021, 05:06:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It may sound crazy, but Enes was disowned by his family years ago, and adopted the name Enes Gülen.  Becoming a US citizen, he can now officially change his name, and he’s chosen an English word that is very important to him.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/wnmy95/why-enes-kanter-has-a-new-name-and-why-his-family-disowned-him

Good on ya, Enes. Hope you get to live a long, safe live whilst fighting for what you think is right.
It's not like Kanter and his Gulenist upbringing wasn't privileged. His connection to that weird crypto-fascist movement is pretty questionable in general, given all he goes on about these days.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2021, 05:08:16 PM »

Kiorrik

It's not like Kanter and his Gulenist upbringing wasn't privileged. His connection to that weird crypto-fascist movement is pretty questionable in general, given all he goes on about these days.

Doesn't change the fact that we don't know what his life is like, at all.

In fact, that removes me even further from him.

Money isn't the only privilege.

.edit: also, making fun of someone's name is the most arbitrary thing ever. What was he supposed to pick? Glad he choose something that means something positive.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2021, 05:11:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

You're correct in that. My point is that Enes is just as much a total hypocrite as anyone else though. Supports Israel (notable for freedom and human rights protection eh?), connected to the Gulen movement, and still takes NBA money despite lots of his income coming from these sources he blasts.

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2021, 05:16:07 PM »

Kiorrik

You're correct in that. My point is that Enes is just as much a total hypocrite as anyone else though. Supports Israel (notable for freedom and human rights protection eh?), connected to the Gulen movement, and still takes NBA money despite lots of his income coming from these sources he blasts.

Fair @ the first point (Israel). Second one's a bit ... kinda like "but you are still part of society" thing.

He's minimised that income by not selling jerseys with his name, right?

Point being; you can be part of a society, and still try to make things better. You can use electricity generated by fossil fuels, and still fight for better alternatives. Etc.

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 05:19:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Fair @ the first point (Israel). Second one's a bit ... kinda like "but you are still part of society" thing.

Point being; you can be part of a society, and still try to make things better. You can use electricity generated by fossil fuels, and still fight for better alternatives. Etc.
Of course you can be a part of society. To your comparison, it's more like when Twiggy Forrest talks about climate change than you or I. It seems like he's raging against the NBA and all its sponsors, yet not as far as to compromise his millions of dollars in income and his global platform.

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2021, 05:25:19 PM »

Kiorrik

Of course you can be a part of society. To your comparison, it's more like when Twiggy Forrest talks about climate change than you or I. It seems like he's raging against the NBA and all its sponsors, yet not as far as to compromise his millions of dollars in income and his global platform.

But my point was; he IS sacrificing. He does NOT have a cool sponsorship from Nike or any of the other major brands. He does NOT sell Jerseys in the NBA store. He does NOT get that kinda sponsorship deal.

Taking NBA money comes from so many different sources. I doubt that's even 5% Nike.

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2021, 05:54:13 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Who cares? Live and let live. On the other hand, maybe he should change it to “pick-n-roll defense” as a gentle reminder of what keeps him glued to the bench.

Completely agree. He can change his name to whatever he wants. That's (part of) what being an American is all about. All I care about from him is that he help us win games, regardless of his name.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2021, 08:41:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
When does Scal and Mike G stop calling him Kanter, and start calling him Freedom? When does the name change take effect legally?

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2021, 08:44:07 PM »

Kiorrik

When does Scal and Mike G stop calling him Kanter, and start calling him Freedom? When does the name change take effect legally?

Monday, but his name will still be Kanter. Kanter Freedom. So he'll probably still go by Kanter.

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2021, 09:13:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Monday, but his name will still be Kanter. Kanter Freedom. So he'll probably still go by Kanter.
World B. Free, Metta Sandiford-Artest (fka World Peace) and Kanter Freedom would be a good 3v3 side.

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2021, 09:16:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Freedom is a good thing to have  ;D

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2021, 09:54:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Enes Kanter Freedom seems like the kind of dude a dude should be.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2021, 08:59:24 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
It's his name, he can call himself what he wants. Who are we to judge what people want to call themselves  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D